Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683917 times)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1755 on: April 17, 2016, 03:23:39 pm »

I've tried a few tricks over the course of few weeks and so far I've found out that without the BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH the 'gigantic' tag disappeared completely. The wiki seriously should have more in-depth info about the numbers and what they do.

I personally told you why that happens just last month. And the month before that.

Doh! Of course! Good grief, sorry. I've managed to completely forgot about the bug meanwhile. Oih, well at least now I'm properly aware of it. *keeps facepalming*

EDIT: Still, I can't wrap my head around why I can't get the broadness tag to show up even with broadness of 195 and height at 109 (just checked). Damn, arse-backwards math indeed and I still suck at math mainly due to being forced into it almost every day during school-slavery-time and I still can't properly approach to math without blowing a fuse or two and have PTSD moments of mine of school.

At the very least I know that the broadness and height ingame do work (mind you my Ischrotaur has no length modifier, just like the default minotaur).. just the damn descriptions don't as adding more broadness numbers increases the weight and the same deal with height.

But what about 'low clear voice' or 'deep clear voice' tag?

EDIT2: Nevermind:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Makes males have a 'very deep voice' and females have a 'low clear voice' tags. Success! Means I don't have to waste time pressing the "randomize" button for like 10+ minutes
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:30:02 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1756 on: April 18, 2016, 08:28:44 am »

This is somewhat a weird question...in what order should I put the tags in a multi-caste race, where I want some castes to be hairless, some to only have head hair, some to have only facial hair and some to have both?

It seems that whatever I try, I either get crashes in worldgen or the hair layers just don't get descriptors, i.e "braided", of any kind, besides the regular "his/her [colour] hair is extremely long] one.

Here's the creature file itself, for reference

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62904003/creature_demon.txt

Basically, what I'm trying to do is - annihilan and nathrezim males should only have facial hair, eredar and shivan males should have both facial and head hair, ered'ruin males and females as well as shivan, nathrezim and eredar females should have only head hair, whereas both male and female mo'arg, felguard and gan'arg castes as well as female annihilan should have no hair at all. The particular iteration of that file crashes in world-gen at "finalizing sites" although before this one I had one where the world genned properly, there were just no specific descriptors for the hair - yes I have the proper tokens for it in the entity file as well so that's not the issue.

EDIT: Ok, nvm, I managed to fix this with the help of a user on the DF subreddit.

For comparison here's the working creature raw for anyone having similar problems.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uobs7d092k6etf8/creature_demonworking.txt?dl=0

Seems that for complex multi-caste races with different hair settings you don't want to put every hair token in one space and split them up - facial hair tissue layers and hair colours go first when defining each caste at the top, then the remaining hair tokens should go AFTER the shared caste materials and tissues. Otherwise you get crashes or hair layers not getting style descriptors.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:04:12 pm by ZM5 »

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #1757 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:52 pm »

Hey so, quick creature question.

If I'm making a creature, I add the body parts I want to [BODY:blah:blah:etc...], and if I want to make new parts I add them to a body file, similar to body_default.txt, correct?

Well when I add a new body part, where do I define the tissues and such these parts use? Or do I not need to?

An example would be if I'm making claws, I don't want the default skin tissue to be used, I want to change it to a nail-tissue. Where/how would I define that?
'ere the Chias get hungry...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 20, 2016, 04:49:29 pm »

Body detail plan. Make a new one or add it to an existing one. You add tissues by either category, type, or ID.

You can also define it in the creature file itself.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #1759 on: April 20, 2016, 04:50:44 pm »

Body detail plan. Make a new one or add it to an existing one. You add tissues by either category, type, or ID.

You can also define it in the creature file itself.
Upon dissecting other creature's raws I found
Code: [Select]
      [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:NAIL:FRONT]
Is this perhaps what would make any part in the category 'TOE' composed of 'NAIL'? I'm not sure what the 'FRONT' token means, however.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:05 pm »

That adds the tissue to the toe, and front is for positioning.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 20, 2016, 07:18:35 pm »

Body detail plans are more complicated, but inside the creature raw a tissue is always added on the outside of whatever was defined before (kind of like dipping candles). In this case, the NAIL is added only to the "front" of each specified body part.

For the bronze colossus, there was no tissue defined until the bronze was added, meaning it has just the one tissue.

Edit: oh there is one rare exception. You can specify one tissue as specifically being under another.  Creatures with poison gas inside them tend to be defined this way, but AFAIK there's no reason one couldn't build them up in the regular order.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:22:18 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1762 on: April 21, 2016, 03:14:46 am »

So wait, is it only placing the specified tissue over/under another tissue or is it supposed to be defined for a specific type or category of a body part?

I mentioned this before, but I have a problem with some gas-bearing creatures where an edged attack hitting a leg causes the gas to leak out even though it's defined to only be under body parts with the HUMP category, so...what exactly would the issue here be?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 21, 2016, 11:21:44 pm »

That would be a bug. I've found no way around it; any injury to any body part will result in leakable tissues leaking, even if they're present on only one body part.

And the tissue designation allows you to place one tissue over/under another tissue on a given bodypart, category of body parts, type by function of bodyparts, or all bodyparts. By default they're placed around the outside of the current outermost tissue layer defined.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:25:10 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1764 on: April 22, 2016, 05:50:22 am »

Oh, shame - hope that gets some type of fix at some point.

Also, I gotta ask - is the [IMMOLATE] tag broken now? I remember in the previous version a creature with it would create a tile of fire wherever it walked, now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: April 22, 2016, 10:07:31 am »

Is there a way to specify a certain type of skin material - existing only on one creature - to become a specific type of leather other than LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT? For example, to be leather made of a specific other material not defined on the creature.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:59 am »

Is there a way to specify a certain type of skin material - existing only on one creature - to become a specific type of leather other than LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT? For example, to be leather made of a specific other material not defined on the creature.
You should be able to just include this in the material definition (not the tissue):

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:CREATURE_MAT:CUSTOM_CREATURE:CUSTOME_MATERIAL]

or
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:INORGANIC:CUSTOM_MATERIAL]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 22, 2016, 11:15:47 am »

Thanks!

One more thing: Is it possible to have the butchered and sliced of bits of creatures be named differently by different castes instead of labeled with the main creature name? For example, by creating custom body parts for each, giving them distinct categories by which caste they're meant for, and telling each caste category to be made of different tissues and materials with the desired name? I've been trying to work it out myself, but I'm having trouble figuring out how much would need to be changed - if it's actually possible.

For example, lets say I'm trying to make two different castes of dogs - a lab and a German shepherd - and I want the body parts dropped from the German shepherd to say "German shepherd eye" or "German shepherd paw" instead of "dog paw." If I define different materials for body parts labeled [CATEGORY:GERMAN] is it possible?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 22, 2016, 11:58:12 am »

Thanks!

One more thing: Is it possible to have the butchered and sliced of bits of creatures be named differently by different castes instead of labeled with the main creature name? For example, by creating custom body parts for each, giving them distinct categories by which caste they're meant for, and telling each caste category to be made of different tissues and materials with the desired name? I've been trying to work it out myself, but I'm having trouble figuring out how much would need to be changed - if it's actually possible.

For example, lets say I'm trying to make two different castes of dogs - a lab and a German shepherd - and I want the body parts dropped from the German shepherd to say "German shepherd eye" or "German shepherd paw" instead of "dog paw." If I define different materials for body parts labeled [CATEGORY:GERMAN] is it possible?
It is possible, but a bit tedious.  You need a different material to be used by each caste, and include the caste name in the material's various names ("German shepherd eye", etc.), and tack [PREFIX:NONE] in the material definition.  These materials are defined at the creature level, so you need caste-specific tissues to pick the right ones to apply in the custom body detail plan for each caste.
Just got back, updating:

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »

Thanks!

It is possible, but a bit tedious.  You need a different material to be used by each caste, and include the caste name in the material's various names ("German shepherd eye", etc.), and tack [PREFIX:NONE] in the material definition.  These materials are defined at the creature level, so you need caste-specific tissues to pick the right ones to apply in the custom body detail plan for each caste.

Thanks! That's exactly the information I needed! I'm making some custom Pokemon and it drives me nuts when Pidgey and Pidgeotto both drop Pidgeot feathers. Thanks for the tip on [PREFIX:NONE].

Edit:

So is this correct?

In the caste:

Tissue Template:

Body Plan:

The Material:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:02:58 pm by Managrimm »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 372