Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683924 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1725 on: April 09, 2016, 11:53:51 pm »

Hey guys. I've actually got two questions, if anyone is willing to help: is there a way to make a two headed quadruped creature? I'm trying to make a hellhoundish sort of creature. I tried basing it off the raws from the ettin, but the tag in that seems to only work for humanoids, and the hydra tag doesn't seem to be usable for less than 7 heads.

And the second one is, can anyone tell me how to give a creature something like stone skin? I've looked at some of the vanilla creatures like the ironman, but I can't quite figure it out. (closest I got just made the whole thing into granite)
I think you'll need to make a body template for your hell hounds.

As for stone skin, just make a tissue out of the stone you want, and put that into the body detail plan in place of SKIN.  Here is a snippet from The Earth Strikes Back raws of a creature with stone skin:

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE:GRANITE]
[TISSUE_NAME:granite surface:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:GRANITE]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:15]
[INSULATION:100]
[PAIN_RECEPTORS:0]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

[CASTE:GRANITE]
[CASTE_NAME:awakened granite:STP:awakened granite]
[CASTE_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DESCRIPTION:A living granite boulder with a face and four long, clawed arms.]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:GRANITE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:GRANITE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:PINK:1:PALE_PINK:1:TAUPE_GRAY:1:GRAY:3]
[TLCM_NOUN:surface:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:EMERALD:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
[ITEMCORPSE:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GRANITE]

Note that a stone coating the thickness of skin isn't particularly effective armor.  Even with a relative thickness of 15 on a size 100,000 creature, it gets broken and pierced by weapons regularly.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Grondus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:NERD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 10, 2016, 12:24:36 am »

Thanks man.
Its not really supposed to be full armor. Its kind of meant to be sort of akin to a leatherback turtle's skin. Tough enough to be helpful, but not enough to stop it from getting turned into a shish kabob. (and hopefully it'll give a bit of added oomph when it punches something) Got a full lore written for the creature I'm trying to mod it onto.
Quoth the raven...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 10, 2016, 07:11:35 pm »

One of the creatures I'd like to add is the Kelenken, a large type of terror bird with a skull the size of a man's torso.  Fossils suggest that they had a relatively weak bite force, and may have killed prey by slamming it with their heads and neck muscles rather than cutting or piercing and causing food to bleed out.  Is there a way to do that in DF?

You'd have to add a blunt attack that uses the head - I'd recommend simply copying the file for a humanoids "punch" attack, changing it to use the head and adding a velocity modifier (the token is [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:X] where X is the modifier itself) to make it somewhat more powerful if the creature is supposed to have stronger neck muscles for the attack itself.

Another one is the Sebecus, a land crocodilian with serrated teeth.  Is there a way to do serrated teeth in DF?  I noticed that sharks just have normal teeth.  One thought is to make the teeth out of a sharper material than normal, but I'm not exactly sure how materials are specified in creature files.
I think you can do something like with the vanilla trolls. They define their tusks and horns as follows:
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
So I think you could instead use
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TOOTH:METAL_TEMPLATE]
Or alternatively define a custom material template that has similar or higher [MAX_EDGE] values to something like iron or steel.
There was a dinosaur called Gastonia which had a row of blades running down both its sides.  According to one theory, when the gastonia turned its body, the blades would have overlapped like a pair of scissors.  I doubt there's a way to do scissors in DF, but is there a way to make a natural attack that's blade-like instead of puncturing? 
You'd have to add an attack with [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:X], where X would be something above 100 - the token defines the contact area of the attack, measured in % of the body part's volume - piercing attacks in weapons in general have smaller contact areas, whereas slashing attacks have bigger contact areas, so from what I can tell it'd work similarly with natural attacks.

Can you define body attacks as edged or blunt though?  None of the defaults make this distinction. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1728 on: April 11, 2016, 01:11:28 am »

Yes you can - [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE] is the token for making an attack edged - without it the attack is blunt.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 11, 2016, 09:38:20 am »

Awesome:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Giants/demons can't do jack now to me it seems! :D Tested it like 4+ times, they won't even use strangling as that's the only "easy" way to kill my minothar but instead they try to wrestle and bend some area of the minothar body to no avail. Which is a success!

However I am having problem replacing strong skin (hide) with standard skin (skin) and these didn't quite work right:

It added that skin I wanted but removed the ability to grab from various areas, throat being one of them, odd. That's why I did extra arena testings without those lines. Help? Please?
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 13, 2016, 05:44:34 am »

Is there any way to permanently change a creature's name via a syndrome or an interaction (not just add some word like "Necromancer" to the end of their normal name)

I made a biberomancer who can resurrect dead enemies as beer men but I'd rather the creatures didn't retain their full name upon transformation.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:46:55 am by FriarVicaris »
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 13, 2016, 09:22:10 am »

I'm having trouble getting my creature's custom skin to work properly.

As you can see, I've locally defined everything instead of using a body template, which seems to work fine. However, in combat, punches from a dwarf tend to treat my creature's skin like, well, regular skin, despite having physical properties of steel and the tissue being defined as granite. I'm looking to make the skin actually tough, like a stone, so that weaker attacks such as punches and weapon attacks from weak materials such as copper just glance away.

I noticed an answer to a similar question at the top of this page. Do I just need to increase the thickness of the skin or should I change the inorganic material from granite to something stronger to get the desired effect?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out that I should be referencing the stone skin material rather than an inorganic stone material. Whoops!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:25:26 pm by Jokaste »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 13, 2016, 09:30:26 am »

So I'm working on a pokemon mod and since I can't make most pokemon willingly follow the player, I added the reaction that uses a pokeball to make a magic boulder that gives the player the ability to animate dead pokemon and also turn them into a unmoving creature so they heal(won't work if they already evolved). I tested this in arena mode and there are two probems. A. the magic boulder only rarely gives the ability to catch pokemon, since this is paid for with a pokeball that isn't preserved that's bad.
B. the caught pokemon don't dodge,jump, and other stuff. that's because of the zombie nerf. is there anyway to make them still able to dodge but still be caught by the player?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #1733 on: April 13, 2016, 10:18:33 am »

Is there a way to limit how many creatures there can be in a world when created? im trying to make my race have a maximum of only 50 as of now theres 238, excluding the other forms its supposed to be in. im also wanting to have a race to not be able to spawn at all. since they are the transformation of my creature. so i have true and reptile solari around.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:43:15 am by Jerry The Hellbound »
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 13, 2016, 12:41:47 pm »

Is there any way to permanently change a creature's name via a syndrome or an interaction (not just add some word like "Necromancer" to the end of their normal name)

No

Is there a way to limit how many creatures there can be in a world when created? im trying to make my race have a maximum of only 50 as of now theres 238, excluding the other forms its supposed to be in. im also wanting to have a race to not be able to spawn at all. since they are the transformation of my creature. so i have true and reptile solari around.

1. No

2. No biome or low POP_RATIO

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 13, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »

No
Not even via DFHack?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 13, 2016, 01:12:39 pm »

oh that's easy

unit.name, unit.status.current_soul.name and df.historical_figure.find(unit.id).name are where names are stored

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: April 13, 2016, 03:09:43 pm »

oh that's easy

unit.name, unit.status.current_soul.name and df.historical_figure.find(unit.id).name are where names are stored
This should probably go in the DFHack thread, but does DFHack check for onLoad.init in the Object Testing Arena? I found some simple syndrome trigger in another thread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79036.msg6319200#msg6319200) but didn't seem to work at all when I tried it in the Arena.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:41 pm »

it does not afaik

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 13, 2016, 09:26:20 pm »

I could use some help regarding magma-safe creatures.

So, the first creature caste in this list, the Imp, is supposed to be magma safe. Yet when submerged in magma, their fat starts to melt after a few ticks. (Notably, they do not get burns on the skin nor does the skin melt.)

I've narrowed this down to something involving the second creature caste defined, the Gargoyle. Specifically, when removing fat from the Gargoyle, the fat on Imps will no longer melt in magma. I'm not sure what's going on though. I'm pretty sure it's not an ordering issue, such as the Gargoyle fat overwriting the Imp fat, as moving Imp definitions to be after Gargoyle definitions doesn't fix the issue. But omitting Gargoyles entirely fixes the issue. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 372