Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685934 times)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1410 on: October 26, 2015, 11:58:44 am »

So I have an issue. I tried to mod in werewolves as an interaction curse, and while I thought I lifted it straight from the way other werebeasts work, this is instead causing errors.

The interaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Creature:

But instead of resulting in a werewolf, they just turn into a red dwarf icon described as a Nothing. What'd I do wrong?

EDIT: I realized that the likely culprit is the Modest Mod. What surprises me though is that I copied it straight from the world.dat raws and the other procedurally generated critters don't cause problems. I suppose I should take this file down there.

Or is it that I forgot to put no_gender?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:15:32 pm by Deinos »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:26 pm »

It'd probably help if it was all in a line instead of jumbled together like it is. Dark Ages Iron has a bunch of were creatures and vampiric creatures maybe go have a look at that mod to see where you went wrong?

Here's what they have

That or you did forget to use [IE_ARENA_NAME:Greater Werewolf] that line which is even in the examples in raw\interaction examples.......

JestersKing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46:11 pm »

is there a way to forbid certain specific materials from certain civilizations?

I modded in Mithral: a lightweight metal with the hardness properties of steel and value of 75, but got attacked by squad of goblins dressed in mithral armor and wielding mithral weapons and they ripped my squads to pieces and slaughtered most of my fortress. is there a way to forbid the goblins from using that specific metal or if not forbid, then severely limit it?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:49:18 pm by JestersKing »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 27, 2015, 01:57:14 am »

I've never tried the age-into-a-caste idea, but a self-targeted or greeting interaction may be the way to go there, with a long onset before a transformation.  The drawback is that transformed creature bears no physical resemblance to the original (stats are completely re-rolled).

Yea that's what I was going with. What I really wanna know though (since it's a pet) is whether or not other groups will use the evolved creature since I doubt it will track those interactions off-screen. Would I have to make it a common domestic in that case?

Avnas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 03, 2015, 01:54:07 am »

Two nooby questions, tangentially related:

I made an insectoid race with fly-like silky wings. I would like it so that when butchering this creature, you get the wings as an item which can be used to weave silk.
I imagine I need to make a reagent of some kind with the [SILK] tag but I haven't been able to find an example of how this might work with the butchering tags.

Second question, for the children of this race, I'd like them to not have the wings until they grow up. I imagine this can be done by setting a different body template for the child?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 03, 2015, 11:15:37 am »

Two nooby questions, tangentially related:

I made an insectoid race with fly-like silky wings. I would like it so that when butchering this creature, you get the wings as an item which can be used to weave silk.
I imagine I need to make a reagent of some kind with the [SILK] tag but I haven't been able to find an example of how this might work with the butchering tags.

Second question, for the children of this race, I'd like them to not have the wings until they grow up. I imagine this can be done by setting a different body template for the child?
You could make an "extra butcher item" for the wings, or just butcher them in arena mode to see what shows up and use that as a reagent.  Just keep in mind that you typically can't butcher intelligent beings.

As for making children different, this is an oft-requested feature that just isn't in the game yet.  Even for a species that doesn't molt, just having the ability to set different personality tendencies for children would be handy.  Some have attempted to make interactions that add a syndrome with a long-delayed body transformation, but this has drawbacks.  First, it's hard to control exactly when that syndrome gets applied.  Second, the transformed creature is completely "rerolled" from scratch and therefore you could have a beefy kid turn into a wimpy adult, etc.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: November 03, 2015, 08:46:02 pm »

I intend to create and use some custom creatures, but also want to use the obsidian graphics that came with the starter pack. What do?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 03, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »

Either have it use another creature's graphics or draw your own. Or leave it as a creature-tile, which may look weird due to you using a tileset rather than default ascii.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 03, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »

I like that first option. If I'm creating these creatures by copying other creatures, editing them a bit and placing them in raw files (definitely not the ones the original creatures came from), will it do that all by itself?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 03, 2015, 09:05:48 pm »

Graphics are designated in the graphics folder, not the objects folder.

Find the graphics of the creature you want yours to look like, create copies of its graphics lines, then in the new lines, replace the original creature's ID with your creature's ID. For example, if you would like to have the custom creature appear as a default dwarf, you would take these lines:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF]
0 - Defaults & Criminals
[DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_D:0:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
[STANDARD:PHOEBUS_D:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[BABY:PHOEBUS_D:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CHILD:PHOEBUS_D:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

Which would then be copied and pasted. The new copy would be changed so that it would be CREATURE_GRAPHICS:CUSTOM instead, where CUSTOM is the ID of your custom creature.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 03, 2015, 09:23:30 pm »

Excellent. I don't think I'll need to have the creatures proof-read, but if I do, this will be the place to put them, right?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 03, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »

If you'd like, yea, someone may look them over.

Ah, and just as a preemptive statement: in case something is wrong with the creature, be sure to check your errorlog first. Really helps troubleshooting. And an easy thing to overlook.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:31:13 pm by BlackFlyme »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 03, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »

Modded from elephant seals:

Modded from alligator snapping turtles:

Modded from hippos:

Modded from gorillas:

Khaiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: November 04, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »

So, I want to make a concubine caste and a slave caste (maybe even slaves from other races? I know masterwork's succubii can turn invaders into members of their civ by transforming them into some other creature, but I'm not sure how).

I think I've read that for the concubines, it's just a female caste with [PET] and COMMON_DOMESTIC, and a very low pop ratio, but how would you do the slaves? Would it be possible to make a percentage of female dwarves born to concubines more concubines, and a percentage of male dwarves born to concubines, dwarf slaves?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 04, 2015, 04:40:52 pm »

Would it be possible to make a percentage of female dwarves born to concubines more concubines, and a percentage of male dwarves born to concubines, dwarf slaves?
No. What castes a specific caste gives birth to isn't modifiable like that.

I know masterwork's succubii can turn invaders into members of their civ by transforming them into some other creature, but I'm not sure how).
DFHack True Transform. Probably modified for Masterwork so it has reaction hooks(reaction activates DFHack code).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 372