Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mech-games - What's Left? What's the best? What's the worst? Discussion!  (Read 23663 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile

Anybody played Shogo: Mobile Armor Division?

I used to love that game. I can't confirm whether it was any good or not, just pleasant nostalgic memories of fun spinning missiles and sniper rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogo:_Mobile_Armor_Division

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No Front Mission? Granted, it's a tactics RPG.

Almost certainly not what the OP is looking for, but Robot Alchemic Drive for the PS2 has giant stompy robots, though its very anime/Godzilla-inspired and unrealistic. The interesting thing about the game is that the robots are controlled from outside the robot (the player controls a character controlling a giant robot). I enjoyed it.

http://youtu.be/5HXsIK5noBU
I really wish I could find that game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the one based off adventurequest (which I will never play due to fear of NOSTALGIA RUIN), called MechQuest.

It was pretty dang sweet, and also had some funnies. The combat system had a nice flow to it and it was overall enjoyable. I think the playerbase is pretty dead though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

Anybody played Shogo: Mobile Armor Division?

I used to love that game. I can't confirm whether it was any good or not, just pleasant nostalgic memories of fun spinning missiles and sniper rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogo:_Mobile_Armor_Division

It looks VERY dated nowadays, but I still find it fun. I got it off gog.com in one of their sales for like 3 quid or something. Good for some LAN deathmatchery.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will second Titans of Steel. Sooo good.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is Shogo more Real Robot or Super Robot?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Shogo mech-only levels were about "Super-robot", at no time the game made you feel you were in command of a huge and so heavy piece of metal.
I think the devs goal with Shogo were to make a japanese "robot anime" atmosphere, but overall the game in its time was average for a shooter.

Going to check that Titans of Steel, it somehow slipped under my wargaming radars.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:15:44 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Definitely more real. There aren't very many examples of the genuine super robot type (ala Mazinger, Power Rangers, etc.) in video games, especially in English. Most either fall towards real robots (ala gundam and its ilk) or down the path of battletech and company.

Now, mind, real and super have pretty specific connotations re: mech stuff. You've got those two and then stuff like battletech, which has a pretty weak eastern presence -- the latter is closer to the "walking tank" paradigm. Shogo's closer to gundam than Mazinger, and none of those are particularly well connected to the more "realistic" direction of stuff like battletech, steel battalion, etc.

Though speaking of realism and giant robots in the same discussion is, of course, utter ridiculousness and should mostly be ignored. Still :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I don't think it was very popular, but I had a surprising amount of fun with the PS2 game Steel Lancer Arena International

It was more of a speedy action game than a slow mech simulator, but I thought it was good.

Here is a video of gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:27:39 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

In coin op (and i believe there have been PC version), there was "Virtual On" that was everything about "super-robots" (i mean they never let you feel they're heavy metal junks).

I remember watching on youtube a video about a PC game with more modern visuals, but that seemed to play exactly like it (shoot from afar or rush into close combat), but in some kind of town setting.
Don't remember the name though.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Frankly, chromehounds was amazing and if they had not shut down the servers Id be playing it today.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

I remember watching on youtube a video about a PC game with more modern visuals, but that seemed to play exactly like it (shoot from afar or rush into close combat), but in some kind of town setting.
Don't remember the name though.

Found 2 titles that could be it, " Bootfighters " and "Silver Knights" (can't find a website for this one) that appear to be both freeware.

(edit : updated the website link to latest version for the 1st game)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:49:05 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Windaom's (what you called bootfighters, heh, the title's actually a bit lengthier) pretty nice, actually, for that type of game. The ship attack mode is pleasing to my sensibilities.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:52:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be surprised if Gundam isn't generally classed as super robots in a place like bay12, given their exotic materials, weaponry, and extreme speed for a 50 foot tall mass of metal.  They aren't magical super robots like TTGL, but they're still pretty super.

If nolstagia serves correctly, the mechs in shogo work a lot like I think gundams would,  though a more apt comparison might be to transformers or eureka 7, since the mechs all have a vehicle mode.

EDIT:  @geneoce:  To my knowledge, there's only one real advantage to legged vehicles and that's mobility over rough terrain.  The problem is that walkers suck and are way too complex/stumbley right now, so it's just easier to make a bigger wheel or send the walker units called infantry.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:04:30 pm by Rez »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

The original gundam was pretty close to a super robot series and G was pretty explicitly one, but most of the later ones were closer to the real robot paradigm (more dodgy, less hotblood :P). Still some elements of supers, but definitely a group of real robot series.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5