Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The neverending fort  (Read 8249 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The neverending fort
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »

At some point, no more stone

Why has no one else noticed this yet? It seems like kind of an obvious problem. If you are really trying to make a fort last forever, you will eventually run out of stone.

Forever isn't just a long time. It's legit infinity.

Of course, FPS would die far sooner...

Well, we could always get more stone the elf way...

But still, caravans will always bring us more stone you need, plus theres obsidian generators I believe.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 07:43:49 pm »

Why has no one else noticed this yet? It seems like kind of an obvious problem. If you are really trying to make a fort last forever, you will eventually run out of stone.

Two words: obsidian farming.

Without migrants, all farmers will eventually die, leaving nothing but children and peasants. Unless one's a vampire, that is, sealed away.

Yes but peasants are likely going to be high level farmers by the time the farmers die of old age. Not that it matters in an unattended fort.

Never mind I remembered that migrants come with skills pre enabled, but then you are relying entirely on the RNG, and RNG will likely give you a necromancer or a vampire too.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 07:44:09 pm »

That's true and a very good point. I sometimes wonder about it what would happen in a world where dwarves eventually dig out all the metals, gems and everything. You only have the surface and and lava when you go deep enough after all. Unless of course you set up an industry where you produce obsidian thus creating new rock....

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 07:45:00 pm »

That's true and a very good point. I sometimes wonder about it what would happen in a world where dwarves eventually dig out all the metals, gems and everything. You only have the surface and and lava when you go deep enough after all. Unless of course you set up an industry where you produce obsidian thus creating new rock....

SLADE. MORE SLADE.

Two words: obsidian farming.

Oh. Duh.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 07:48:24 pm »

At that point the Dwarves build a rocket and fly to the nearest planet. Or figure out a way to turn kittens into metal bars.

... Or generate a new world.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »

Or figure out a way to turn kittens into metal bars.

MUST MOD KITTEN METAL

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:49 pm »

At that point the Dwarves build a rocket and fly to the nearest planet. Or figure out a way to turn kittens into metal bars.

... Or generate a new world.

"Okay, the rockets done!"

"You sure that kittens burn fast enough to give us the fuel we need?"

"Of course!"

Your settlement has crumbled...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »

Heh. I think people may have misinterpreted. I'm allowing player intervention, but for an extra-hard challenge make one that lasts forever without player intervention except to assign jobs to dwarves just arriving (whether through migration or through growing up); dwarves may die out, but migrants can come (or not, your choice), and dwarves can be born. Trade is allowed, and in fact necessary unless you change one of the files I mentioned.

No one yet has mentioned the limiting factor that I hinted at. A hint: it turns out that strange moods are one stopper to a fort living forever.
=Uncool-

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »

No one yet has mentioned the limiting factor that I hinted at. A hint: it turns out that strange moods are one stopper to a fort living forever.
=Uncool-
You are right we haven't discussed strange moods, except for the whole previous page!

If player intervention is allowed, then this is already solved on page 1.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:14 pm »

BTW: how far distance would members from a dwarven family have to be before they could marry again?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:38 pm »

=Uncool-
You are right we haven't discussed strange moods, except for the whole previous page!
Yes, but it's one specific thing from strange moods that limits the fortress, and no one has mentioned that specific thing.
If player intervention is allowed, then this is already solved on page 1.
Actually, no; a fort may be able to exist for a long time, but without modding d_init and init.txt, it cannot stay around forever, excluding the immortal undead.
=Uncool-

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »

Armok now I want to know what it is AWROAWMOWOWHMWH

Crekit has gone Berserk!

<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:44 pm »

So:

- Some moods will demand non renewable materials (some of which will not be available from your caravan... is it theoretically possible to have an embark where your home city has everything, though?).
- EDIT: Alternatively fell moods will create deaths.  Skip to "you have to slab to avoid ghosts".
- You will eventually run out of these materials.
- So you will eventually lose dwarves to insanity.
- You have to slab these to avoid ghosts.
- You will eventually run out of stone or space for these slabs.
- So you will eventually get ghosts.
- These ghosts will build up over time until your fortress becomes unlivable what with everyone paralysed and miserable.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:06:30 pm by Leafsnail »

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19:33 pm »

So:

- Some moods will demand non renewable materials (some of which will not be available from your caravan... is it theoretically possible to have an embark where your home city has everything, though?).
- EDIT: Alternatively fell moods will create deaths.  Skip to "you have to slab to avoid ghosts".
- You will eventually run out of these materials.
- So you will eventually lose dwarves to insanity.
- You have to slab these to avoid ghosts.
- You will eventually run out of stone or space for these slabs.
- So you will eventually get ghosts.
- These ghosts will build up over time until your fortress becomes unlivable what with everyone paralysed and miserable.
You've got it, but it turns out there's only one item that can neither be renewed nor bought from caravan, and it is required by moods. Everything else can be.

Therefore, the way to be able to have a fortress last indefinitely is to stop the entire fortress from having moods. The only way to do this forever is to have the size of the fortress under 20 using d_init and init permanently - even allowing a migrant wave to put it over 20 could trigger moods periodically.

ETA: Fell moods aren't a problem if you keep your dwarves happy enough; I've found engraving the entire fort makes them pretty happy.
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:26:06 pm by uncool »

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:05 pm »

I still say it's not only possible, but surprisingly easy to make an immortal fortress, since vampires count as dwarfs and if you put statues against the edge of the map you can keep any migrants or caravans(or invaders) from ever visiting. Vampires don't age, so you can just turn your whole fort over, and you'd never have to worry about

A) Moods(or you can wait until every one of your dwarfs has had one, there's a limit to how many you will have based on your total wealth, or at least there was in some previous versions).

B) Ghosts(since nobody would ever die. Vampires are durable, and with a light mace your Hammerman will never be able to accomplish anything.)

So you can have a static, unchanging fort that will last forever.

C) No more children, ever. This also prevents A, if vampires can even have moods.

EDIT: I'm talking, of course, about a fort that not only lasts forever, but that will keep running without any player intervention.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:29:59 pm by Asra »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6