Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The neverending fort  (Read 8245 times)

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The neverending fort
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:15 am »

A challenge: make a fort that could in theory last forever. Not just for a couple thousand years - forever.

Note that the game does have a mechanic that does limit the longevity of the fort; changing init.txt and d_init.txt is enough. Bonus question: what is that mechanic, and specifically what change would be needed?
=Uncool-

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The neverending fort
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:51 am »

I'm afraid that has something to do with caged insane vampires walled deep in abandoned mines.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:23 am »

A fort that lasts forever?

Well - wall yourself in.
No exit means no entrance, too. Every bad thing is kept outside.

You don't need the outside world to survive.

And don't dig too deep. It may get dangerous down there too.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:04:42 am »

I had a fort that lasted forever once.  And then I came down.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:13 am »

At least, I think a fort without the possibility of fun wouldn't be... fun.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:15:31 am »

It's actually pretty easy, after you get used to the game, if you don't go around making up goals or big projects or challenge mode embarks, it's not that hard to self sustain a fort in a decent embark. It will stay this way until the goblins start bringing siege engines or cave dragons ( and other such big creatures ) gain the ability to demolish walls.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:46 am »

It's actually pretty easy, after you get used to the game, if you don't go around making up goals or big projects or challenge mode embarks, it's not that hard to self sustain a fort in a decent embark. It will stay this way until the goblins start bringing siege engines or cave dragons ( and other such big creatures ) gain the ability to demolish walls.

Wait, can walls be broken? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:18:48 am »

Not yet, that's my point. Walling yourself in is too easy.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:03 am »

It will stay this way until
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:30 am »

one limit i can think of: every dwarf will die eventually. every dwarf will need a coffin or slab. practical limit is the max number of coffins/slabs you can place. to prevent ghosts which may cause FUN, thus ending 'forever'.

any other practical limits?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:40 am »

I'm afraid that has something to do with caged insane vampires walled deep in abandoned mines.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:24 am »

Well, if you can manage to get the insane vampire into the section to be walled off, then technically the cage is optional. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 08:09:20 am »

Wooden coffins, its i guess forever would mean that eventually there will be thousands of moods which will require stone. At some point, no more stone (with out trading, but that will also let the monsters in)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:52 am »

You can wall yourself off from the world. You can get all the food and drink your dwarves need to survive daily life. You can get more dwarf babies to replenish your population. You can get everything you need, except more space. If the RNG doesn't give you a bunch of grudges leading to tantrums (or worse), then you will eventually run out of spaces for coffins and slabs. Ghosts will inevitably show up and some of those ghosts will inevitably start killing dwarves. The RNG will always win in the end, because while you can never reach the infinitely high pinnacle, there is always the bottom just a few bad rolls away.

Fun! fact: in a game of tetris where the pieces are truly random, a certain combination of L and S blocks forces you to leave a gap. Repeat and it forces you to fill the screen, regardless of what choices you make.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:57 am »

If you don't have any tantrums or unhappiness, a fort can go forever, I believe. Most ghosts are quite harmless, unless you had FUN deaths.

Besides, ghosts die of old age and I don't think a dwarf that died of old age can create a ghost.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:40:11 am by Naryar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6