Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Azrael300's science on seed's  (Read 8434 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Azrael300's science on seed's
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »

Can we stop the ADHD and continue the (im)possibility and usefulness of deterministic multiverses? (Because winning cointosses consistently is way more important than the mental health of our new friend.)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 02:14:29 pm »

And I believe the point of quantum mechanics is that even if every variable was existentially known, it would still not be possible to predict outcomes with certainty.

Well, quantum mechanics has several "points", but one of them is that it is completely impossible to know every variable.  Heisenberg's uncertainty principle isn't that observation of one aspect affects another aspect, making it impossible to know both, that's the observer effect.  The uncertainty principle actually says that the unknowability is a fundamental property of the universe at the quantum level.  Some properties literally aren't defined until they are required to be defined for a reaction.

In other words, it's literally impossible to know 100% of the information regarding a coin toss if you're going down to the quantum level, since at the quantum level some properties are just probabilities, rather than specific values.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »

Your posting assumes, Nyan Thousand, that anyone has been able to gather all information on a coin toss and accurately, with 100% certainty, always predict how the coin is going to fall.

And do so in less time than it takes the coin to fall!

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 04:51:31 pm »

As to derails: I'm suspecting azrael of trolling after thread #x of trivial questions.

From the amount of his threads, quality of their content and grammar of his sentences I suspect he is 10-12yo with ADHD (no offense meant). Of course I can't be sure but there is high probability I am right. But he doesn't seem to be intentionally trolling imo.
(Sorry for derailing the derail)
wrong im 14
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »

AZRAEL WINS

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »

Even if the universe it not deterministic on a fundamental level, there's still no free will, as randomness has no will.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 07:00:26 pm »

A truly deterministic universe would preclude free will, but a universe which is non-deterministic does not make is necessary to have free will either.  Either way, Az isn't a 12 year old with ADHD.  He's 14.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »

A truly deterministic universe would preclude free will, but a universe which is non-deterministic does not make is necessary to have free will either.  Either way, Az isn't a 12 year old with ADHD.  He's 14.
Yes. There was a Dinosaur Comic about that. I was going to post that but I couldn't find it, so there.

I think, once we unite QM with classical mechanics, we would finally be able to understand how randomness operates at a subatomic level. If it turns out that it's not random at all, then the universe just got a little more deterministic. If it was truly random, then the universe isn't deterministic at all. Of course, now that you mentioned that non-determinism implies that free will isn't necessary, well, that really changes everything.

I can't really type out a proper response right now. I have this exam in what, 4 hours? And I spent last night taking about coin tosses. Son of a bitch.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:54 pm »

Study, bitch.  Unless your exam is on determinism, free will, and 14 year olds... we ain't helpin ;)

What are you doing? Get back to studying?

Seriously.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 07:18:02 pm »

Numerical methods, actually. My buddy has an exam on Probability and Statistics later though, funnily enough.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Okay, guys, seriously. I think we get the point.

Something gives me the feeling that azrael300 is trolling us...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »

I don't think it worked, if Science can be believed.

His thread promised science on seeds.  It produced science about determinism, free will, probability, computer science, and his actual age.

I'd say if it was a troll, it definitely backfired.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »

I don't think it worked, if Science can be believed.

His thread promised science on seeds.  It produced science about determinism, free will, probability, computer science, and his actual age.

I'd say if it was a troll, it definitely backfired.

Backfire would imply that he was trolled, himself.  This is just a meandering meta-conversation between people who are willing and capable of arguing over anything, including, apparently, the philosophical ramifications of determinism in trolling.

Have I mentioned I love this forum recently?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:41 pm »

Speaking of which, there was this company that used webcams aimed at lavalamps to seed random numbers. After a week they suddenly found out they forgot to take the cap off of the lens, but it didn't matter: the natural "noise" from the webcam was random enough already (and they sold those numbers). So just some simple input from "outside" is enough to create enough randomness for high-end usage. (source: http://www.random.org/media/Wired-2003.html). Others use people typing, random mousemovements, or any other type of analogue-to-digital input. Point being: analogue is better :)

There's a much better (and cooler) way to do that.  You can use the scrap Americium 241 in a smoke detector to shoot alpha particles into a webcam (which will detect them, if you take the filter off).  This can be used to generate true random numbers, or as a screensaver.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:24 pm »

This thread is cancerous. But it's a benign cancer, so I'm cool with it.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4