No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 262940 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4335 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »

[I don't think we've got a huge area of Pandora-like weirdness. Most plants would probably just be dead (or undead). Cool as it may be, I don't think it works, as the ship exploded well within sight of the fort, leaving a large scorched patch visible from the walls. If there was some alien mutant biome now, we'd be in it, and we'd have been fighting mutants constantly. Works better with what's already established if the nearby ponds are contaminated somehow and occasionally something drinks from one and turns freaky.]

Considering how I had the Slashdiver land ~ a 1/2 off, and the explosion would've been around 1/4 in radius, there could be a decent sized area that has "Pandora-like weirdness".  The scorching would be barely visible due to the mana core infusing the blast zone with all sorts of magic, radiation, etc that would promote the growth of mutant plant life, and the accelerated growth (they were naturally born, but were greatly accelerated, causing fast mutation) of mutant animals.  The ones that are attacking have probably been forced off of their territory, and in their rage, come our way.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: January 16, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »

[In other words, the radiological equivalent of dzherzhisnk.... you know the life expectency there is only 40, due to all the toxins right? Looks like gigozin and I will have to come up with an inexpensive glass casting system with robot laborers, or we'll all grow 3rd arms.]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: January 16, 2013, 01:42:13 pm »

The Slashdiver crash site mainly reminds me of The Zone from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., maybe without the anomalies.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »

[The interaction between slade (or whatever slade-like substance Sedil turned into) and adamantine is interesting.  Heck, just adamantine by itself is a fascinating substance.  There was a thread a while ago dedicated to its more unusual characteristics, to which I contributed a number of times.  I've been meaning to have Gizogin or Gizo X do a study of it at some point.] 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:29 pm »

This thread?

Also, Sedil didn't turn into slade or anything, it's just ***MAGIC*** at work.

I was supposed to add a part about Oliolli mentioning how it's only the impossibility to damage and weight that make him seem like he's slade now, but doesn't seem like it in any other way.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:51 pm »

[I don't think we've got a huge area of Pandora-like weirdness. Most plants would probably just be dead (or undead). Cool as it may be, I don't think it works, as the ship exploded well within sight of the fort, leaving a large scorched patch visible from the walls. If there was some alien mutant biome now, we'd be in it, and we'd have been fighting mutants constantly. Works better with what's already established if the nearby ponds are contaminated somehow and occasionally something drinks from one and turns freaky.]

Considering how I had the Slashdiver land ~ a 1/2 off, and the explosion would've been around 1/4 in radius, there could be a decent sized area that has "Pandora-like weirdness".  The scorching would be barely visible due to the mana core infusing the blast zone with all sorts of magic, radiation, etc that would promote the growth of mutant plant life, and the accelerated growth (they were naturally born, but were greatly accelerated, causing fast mutation) of mutant animals.  The ones that are attacking have probably been forced off of their territory, and in their rage, come our way.

Thari's tower is half a mile away, and the slashdiver crashed close enough for us to immediately run over and help the survivors. The explosion couldn't have been much bigger than the footprint of the ship, or else the 3 survivors would have been incinerated, so I'm guessing something about the size of a football field (300ft by 150ft or so).

Thematically, we already have Thari's creations for extremely bizarre, warped life, so I was thinking maybe this could be something a little more Fallout-y.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:36 pm »

[I was thinking more "slow but persistent" radiation, after the initial boom. A few hundred miliseiverts, or so. Enough to make freaky deformed weeds, 2 headed slugs, butterflies with legs for antennae, and the like. "Giant carnivorous plantlife" would be more a "xenobiological invasion from crap stuck to the ship's hull taking root" type situation.  It *was* an interdimensional ship. We can save the theme that way.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:59 pm »

[Not an interdimensional seaship, though. Besides, it mostly got incinerated. It's just, to me at least, given the nature of the disaster, I'd expect it to look more like one of those evil areas with the undead trees than one of them with the eyeball-worm grass. For me, a scorched patch with still no growth after months shows contamination better.]

[We could characterize it like this: Zanzetkuken mentioned a combination of radioactive and magical pollution when this first happened, maybe the contaminated life is deformed by magical tumors. The epicenter as the blackened sterile patch, surrounded by undead and cancerous vegetation. The murky pools / ponds now have a sickly greenish tint, and contaminated water causes magical cancer in animals exposed to it. A rare few experience drastic mutation into malformed, almost unrecognizable creatures. Most would rapidly develop malignant tumors throughout their body. Perhaps those who die from the cancer reanimate as husks. The small affected area means we aren't facing waves of twisted, possibly undead creatures, but it's large enough to ensure we have problems with diseased monsters almost every week. The undirected nature of the magic might occasionally result in very random effects within the epicenter, like stuff turning to stone.]

[That's just what I think would be consistent with what we already established. "Blinking grass" levels of strangeness might still work, but again, as an area about the size of a football field. If it were large enough to have formed a distinct primate-scale ecosystem, it would be covering the fort by now.]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:08 pm »

[Not an interdimensional seaship, though. Besides, it mostly got incinerated. It's just, to me at least, given the nature of the disaster, I'd expect it to look more like one of those evil areas with the undead trees than one of them with the eyeball-worm grass. For me, a scorched patch with still no growth after months shows contamination better.]

[We could characterize it like this: Zanzetkuken mentioned a combination of radioactive and magical pollution when this first happened, maybe the contaminated life is deformed by magical tumors. The epicenter as the blackened sterile patch, surrounded by undead and cancerous vegetation. The murky pools / ponds now have a sickly greenish tint, and contaminated water causes magical cancer in animals exposed to it. A rare few experience drastic mutation into malformed, almost unrecognizable creatures. Most would rapidly develop malignant tumors throughout their body. Perhaps those who die from the cancer reanimate as husks. The small affected area means we aren't facing waves of twisted, possibly undead creatures, but it's large enough to ensure we have problems with diseased monsters almost every week. The undirected nature of the magic might occasionally result in very random effects within the epicenter, like stuff turning to stone.]

[That's just what I think would be consistent with what we already established. "Blinking grass" levels of strangeness might still work, but again, as an area about the size of a football field. If it were large enough to have formed a distinct primate-scale ecosystem, it would be covering the fort by now.]

mm, I agree with Hugo. It sounds vaguely like the Ash thing in Morrowind.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: January 16, 2013, 10:05:18 pm »

[Not an interdimensional seaship, though.]

Depends on your definition of interdimensional.  The ship did travel to a variety of planes, so there could be some plant life that is in it's natural state.  The way you described it sounds fitting.  Either way, there could be some interesting experiments utilizing the plant life.   :D
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: January 16, 2013, 10:28:14 pm »

[What I meant was that it was an interdimensional space/airship, not a water-borne one, as organisms hitchhiking on the exteriors of things generally prefer boats. Entering/exiting an atmosphere would burn off most spores or seeds, if the chaotic energies between planes didn't do the trick, and I'd assume such an advanced interdimensional empire would have precautions against messing up their ecology with invasive species.]

[I'd be more interested in the animals. We have a bit of a livestock vacuum, finding a mutant strain with consistent, stable physiology could be useful. We should take pains to avoid contaminated plants sprouting too close to Thari's basement.]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: January 17, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »

[Containment, then, seems to be what we should focus on.  Once we've done that, it'll be easier to cherry-pick the mutants to find ones we can use.]

[Zanz, what am I going to find in my examination of these Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards?]
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: January 17, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »

[Zanz, what am I going to find in my examination of these Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards?]

You should have a Pm.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: January 17, 2013, 07:50:16 pm »

[Waiting for people to do more things in the day before moving on to late night events.]

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: January 18, 2013, 07:40:03 pm »

...but the storytelling cheered him up and gave him ideas to ponder for a few hours.

I wonder if some of the dwarves have been holding down their curiosity of what attacked the prior fort.  If so, Hugo could tell them about the Daleks, and possibly the Doctor.  Of course, it has been a few months->years (time distortion that affected us at first) so the question probably would've already been asked or the curiosity faded.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 306