No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 262945 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4305 on: January 14, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »

"Wait, I just remembered something."  Mita focused and recalled the event.  "I had found this crystal out on patrol a couple months back.  When I touched it, it launched some energy into me.  I had Joykill take a look at its shards, but he seemed to be preoccupied with something, so I got the shards back.  They're in the vest, left shoulder pocket."
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:39 pm »

X had to fight the urge to bury his face in his hands.  This was the problem with biological minds; a little bit of distraction, and important information just gets thrown out.  "Right.  Thank you."

True to his word, Mita's vest pocket did indeed contain some shards of crystal.  X took them gingerly into his workshop, where he had equipment better suited to analyzing what they were.  Unfortunately, the presence of Lana in his lab meant that his study would have to wait for the moment.

"You wanted to see me?" she said when he walked in.

"Ah, yes.  Did you find what I asked?"

From somewhere in the depths of her cloak, Lana produced a thin, leather-bound book.  The cover was plain, unadorned by even so much as a title or author.  "Here," she said, tossing it unceremoniously onto the nearest table.  "Let me tell you, it wasn't easy to find."

"Thank you."  He walked over to a different table, bringing the shards of crystal with him.  He placed the smallest into a makeshift spectrometer, focusing a thin beam of light onto the shard.  He made a few internal calculations, then said, "Was there something else you wanted?"

Lana, who had not yet left, looked as though she were about to say something, but then thought better of it.  "No," she answered, before teleporting away.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: January 14, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »

Weird returned his attention to Hugo, now that all those unnecessary distractors had gone about their business elsewhere.  He leaned In close behind the tiny round hole covered by a large and ornate scale that served as Hugo's ear, and whispered furtively into it.

"The creatures are widely diverse genetically, but show signs of having formed a very stable and prolific genepool. I have been working in secret on a means to eradicate them all, but the ethical implications are unpleasant. I have learned a lot about the chemisty at work inside them, but very little about the creatures themselves, other than that they learn from mistakes, and are relentlessly pursueing me. I suspect they might even have a culture, but as for temperment or rationale? They could be goblin like, or kobold like, or like ordinary beastmen species.. I just don't know! The creatures have made no attempt to communicate that I am aware of but..."

Hugo bumped him over with a gentle swing of the neck to get him to shut up, so that he could ask some important questions.

"Unethical means to eliminate them all? Explain. Right now."

Weird felt like a worm under a magnifying glass. It was good to have somebody actually take him seriously, but it was also very unpleasant to be questioned on something you knew was ethically questionable.

"OK.." he started. "Let me be perfectly clear here: I haven't released anything yet. That's important."

Hugo's neck curled back and his head angled down, giving him a very forboding aspect to his intent stare.

"Go on."

"Due to the obscene numbers, and horrible viciousness of the creatures, as well as their deterimed relentlessness in threatening my life these past months, I came to the conclusion that we needed an ace in the hole, so to speak.  As such, I have been researching a biological WMD of a sort....."

"WHAT!?" Demanded hugo, as thin curls of smokey vapor puffed from his nostils.

"It is only capable of infecting the rat creatures themselves!" Weird protested. "All the candidate strains I have created and tested..."

"TESTED!?" Roared Hugo, his slit-like pupils suddenly expanding into deep black voids.

"..on collected corporeal remains!" Weird continued to protest. "You know, severed limbs? That sort of thing?"

Hugo's eyes tightened back up some, but were still widely dilated.

"Go on.."

"The unique combination of genetic materials gives them a unique biochemistry. The plague relies on that biochemistry for its mechanism of infection. Other species would be as immune to it as a fir tree is to ebola. It is very species specific."

Hugo still looked troubled, and more than a little angry. It had been Hugo who had brokered a deal with everyone to stop keeping secrets.  Weird hoped he was understanding that he was giving hugo this information, because so far, he had been the only one to take him seriously about it, and the situation was very serious.

"Again, I haven't released anything. All of the research prototype strains have been systematically destroyed mere hours after being created. The creatures destroy and therefor come into contact with the research materials I make, so I follow a very strict protocol. It isn't quite ready for relase anyway. To avoid it mutating, and to avoid it spurring rapid evolution in the creatures, I have been taking great pains to ensure it is 100% lethal. That way, once released.."

"Weird, you are talking about genocide." Hugo said flatly.

"I said it had troubling ethical concerns...." weird muttered. "It isn't like this was my first attept at driving them away! I tried writing them letters, once I noticed they were destroying my lab notes.. no good. Tried setting traps.. they worked at first, but the little cocksuckers figured it out quick. Faced with something that is both intelligent, and unwilling to be reasonable, the only option left is attrition and violence. I don't know how much longer I can put up with this; and what happens if they decide to turn their abominable attentions on the rest of the fortress? Ever seen what rodents do to roosting chickens? No, there needs to be a contingency plan, and that is what I have been working on."

"How far along are you?" Asked hugo worriedly.

"I have isolated nearly all of the transgenic and mutant type receptor sites on the creatures's cellular membranes, but my samples are not satistically significant enough yet to ensure 100% eradication. Their genome is deep enough to survive one hell of a bottleneck, and worse, allowing a population to continue as a vector for what I have been making... if it jumps hosts somehow, it would be catastrophic. As hypocritical as it seems, it would just be inconsionable to release right now. It would help if I could write things down instead of having to burn everything into long term memory, while also suffering sleep problems and nightmares! I'm a goddamn wreck!"

"I can see that..." said hugo worriedly.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »

holy shit this thread is still going

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:30 pm »

There was a couple month hiatus, as we all settled into new routines, school, work, and all that.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »

Oliolli kept staring over the fortifications. A group of three dwarves was approaching the gate. The party sent to figure out where the monster had come from.

"Hey everyone, the scouts are back!"
"But there's only three. Someone, Sedil, I think isn't with the group."

The group came closer to the gate, and as they closed in, Oliolli could confirm that Sedil was indeed missing. The other three were understandably upset.

"Alright, Vemini, if you and Ironblood could debrief them, then send them to the hospital for some tests. I want to be sure they won't be changing in the middle of the fort. If we have any free hands, get them to work on the memorial to Sedil."

As one of the dwarves walked past Oliolli, it said to him: "Sedils na' dead! We just cannae help tha lass. He jiss stopped mid stride and dinnae budge, no matter wha' we tried! The poor lass seemed to be cryin', last we looked at him."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:50:13 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: January 14, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »

[Thought that we already knew the mutants were coming from the magically polluted, irradiated crash site?]

Those months ago, when they'd poured over the books. He'd hoped he'd never be having this discussion. Still, it all seemed reasonable enough, in a way, but then again, so did many dark moments of history in their time. "Well, do you think it might be possible to capture a live specimen? Maybe they'd be willing to communicate with someone else."

"I only ever get to see what Peepers leaves..."

"Well, what if I kept some of your notes? If they still come after them, I might be able to communicate."

"Maybe, but you don't exactly have hands, and if I gave you a container people would ask why. Hmm..."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: January 14, 2013, 10:09:12 pm »

"Allright, If you think you can get better results, I'll spend the rest of the day putting everything I have learned and all the data on the experimental plague strains I have cooked up over the past 3 months down on paper, and personally hand it off to you this evening, but it had better be worth it. I'll be up all night condensing the past 3 months down into writing, ad that is time I could be spending on perfecting the work, before all hell breaks loose... but if you can make contact with the little bastards, and get them to leave me the fuck alone instead of driving me to genocidal extremes, I'm down for it."

Weird leaned back in close.

"Just be aware that such a work is sure to draw out a veritable army of the creatures. I get the distinct suspicion that they are always watching me, plotting, and planning what they will do when I try to sleep at night, and when my back is turned. Those notes will be high on their list of things to shred, and they won't stop until they do. Just a friendly bit of advice: don't sleep."

And with that, the hooded Necromancer returned through the doorway, and back into the fortress.

*weird Joykill cancels create superweapon: Updating research notes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:35:42 pm by wierd »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: January 15, 2013, 01:55:56 am »

[Corniness engaging in T-minus 10, 9, 8....]
Yikes. HugoLuman needed something to take his thoughts off that for a while. He wouldn't let his holiday spirit be dampened by the mere mental degradation of his closest confidant. As he plodded back through the halls, thinking about whether or not they could be decked, he felt a sudden weight on his neck.

"Charge warhorsey!" yelled a small voice. Two small, distinctly stick-feeling objects began striking his legs, no doubt wielded by two who thought they were mighty warriors indeed.

Over the past months, the four children of the fort had lost their fear of the live dragon living amongst them, and had come to the natural next conclusion of children towards actual, live dragons. "Can't you help Jerry with the woodcutting?" sighed HugoLuman.

"I'm four!" protested the boy kicking the sides of his neck.

As HugoLuman was about to march past the squealing dwarflings, ignoring them as best he could, he got an idea. HugoLuman got a wonderful, awful idea. "Would you like to hear a story?" Instantly, the thrashing stopped. He knew his audience; always listening when the engravers started talking about legends (or when anyone else discussed memories from the last site they'd rather not have.)

"Now, gather around, and hear the tale of..." HugoLuman paused for a moment. Always volunteering to do the reading at the local supermarket, he knew the story by heart, but now realized there were some details which wouldn't quite work for children of this world. He'd have to think of some substitutions.

"Of what?"

"Of the Polar Express!"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: January 15, 2013, 04:01:34 am »

Weird sat down at the hard wooden chair at his desk, (for which he had taken the time to produce a small crochet cousion to make comfortable enough for long hours of sitting) and dipped the fine brass pen tip into the well of black ink recessed at the desk's back.

Peepers had immediately taken to his oversized nesting box stuffed with dry grass from the surface, fluffed out his feathers, and tucked his head under his now disproportionately small, and stubby wing. Peepers got his sleep while he himself was awake, and then stayed up all night patrolling for 4 legged gnawing intruders to snack on.

The petri dish from earlier was nowhere to be found, but little black ashen footprints shaped like little hands told all the story he needed to know.  The dish would turn up stuffed into some hole in the wall later. Right now he didn't have time to go hunting for the stashed labware though.

"Observations and experimental findings concerning novel rodent cryptids: a comprehensive digest." he wrote in tiny, but fairly neat letters.

"Based upon observations from incomplete specimines, and from previous hostile engagements, the following rough anatomical charts have been provided...."

Gently shading in the inkwash drawings and cutaway view diagrams, his thoughts wandered. Hugo wanted him to do something for the winter holidays... he had never been much of a celebrant of the christmas holiday, but he realized that for some of the other refugees like himself, it could hold profound sentimental value.  He scribed in a diagram of the vascular system. Hugo was a dragon, and could only eat meat, but there were still others. Eric, Ollioli, Gizogin, Lana, even the dirty kobold if he would consider comming.... somebody would probably have to invite him though... 

"The cellular structures of many vital organs posess many novel adaptations, resulting from the unnaturally mixed heritage of the cryptid in general. Specifically, as shown in fig. 10, epidermal tissues contain complex assemblages of cellulose fibrils, making it exceedingly tough and resistant to a number of chemical agents...."

Hugo had specifically asked him to make the dinner... food wasn't exactly in shortage at the moment, but most of the fortress' larder was comprised of mutant mystery meats, and related animal products. Cooking a "normal", and "traditional" meal with the ingredients on hand could prove quite challenging....

"Tissues in the liver secrete a wide variety of novel enzymes, and are capable of neutralizing a wide assortment of toxic agents. Noteworthy resistances to ricin, strychnine, and reactive phosphate compounds have been observed. Detailed below is a table of known metabolic pathways with which the novel organism processes known toxicological agents......"

Maybe he could experiment with making something similar to karob from the locust beans and bean pods he had collected during the fall. Other than the brewer sisters making special orders of the notoriously potent rotgut from them, there wasn't much call for their use by the kitchens, so there was still plenty on hand. If it worked out, something passibly close to chocolate for baking and candy making might be possible... he'd have to experiment later.

"The renal system has manifold redundancies, and also features the cellulosic fibrils described earlier when regarding the composition of the epithelium. Like the liver, this tissue often manifests specific chaperone protiens and chellating enzymes for dealing with concentrated bloodborne toxins, and their metabolic byproducts. The cellulosic structures in this organ present a mystery, as these organs aren't generally exposed to direct physical trauma like the external layers of epithelial skin would be. Instead it appears as though these fibers exist as a form of protective or inert interface and as a chemically resistant scaffolding for the organs, reducing the risks of renal failure or collapse in the cryptid. The reader may find it helpful to referr back to fig. 6, highlighting the overview and cutaway views of the renal system before studying the enhanced detail and microscopic views seen below....."

So, that made the dinner itinerary: meat heavy dinner, possible exploration of candy making, like "rocknut brittle", made with roasted rocknuts and dwarven sugar with a touch of baking soda at the very end to puff it up... and something similar to a bread pudding. The spices he scored from Askak would come in handy there....

Hours passed. Page after page after page of detailed descriptions and noteworthy mechanisms about the creatures piled up on the left hand side of the desk; drawings, tables, charts, and rough empirical assays.

Then finally, in the late hours of the night, the final bits of table XXIV describing the known cytokine receptors implicated in his bioweapon research, and the binding affinities for all tested viral binding co-factors tested to date was finally complete, signalling the end of the 6 hour labor.

Shuffling the thick ream of double sided pages of dense information into the semblence of an orderly codex, he returned the brass tipped pen back to its holder, and stood up, screaching the chair legs against the cold stone floor, and rousing Mr Peepers who looked around the room furtively, expecting to see members of the 4-legged menace.

Weird stretched and popped his elbows and back. Sitting too long always made his joints creaky, and being stuffed inside a demented dwarven mockery of his original form had in no way alleviated the problem. Sucking in a deep breath before whistling at Peepers, he headed for the door.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: January 15, 2013, 06:32:17 am »

[[I can't even remember or find the last Reudh/Kenozi/Othob piece I did :P]]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: January 15, 2013, 07:37:17 am »

[Pepto-bismol. Wierd, you're such a Chem Guy.]

Reudh shook his head roughly to kick his liver-brain into gear. It was a curious feeling, having the liver-brain throb powerfully as it processed the alcohol he imbibed, breaking it down from the ethanol into usable Acetyl-CoA, and numerous sugars. The throbbing subsided, as his liverbrain settled into its usual rhythm. Over to his right, Othob's liverbrain was doing the same.

Reudh, are you alright?
It was Archie. He'd been silent for a while, not troubling Reudh in the slightest since his last feed. He knew all he needed to know and wanted to know no more than that; he cared not for what happens in Reudh's life so long as his skills are being used and he gets to feed. Of course, he cares about Reudh; for Archie he'd've seen Reudh's mind dim and splutter under the heavy load of ethanol he imbibed. One can assume it would be very disconcerting having the only thing keeping you alive seem to disappear.

I am now, Archie. Thanks.

Archie remained silent. If Reudh was fine, that's all he really wanted.

Othob fared not so well as Reudh. He was functional, if you could call him that, but he showed all the signs of dwarven alcohol poisoning. He needed the doctor, again.

Hauling him up was a task indeed, for the little dwarf was portly, and Reudh was not so strong, but he managed it.

"I don't feel too well..." Othob moaned.

Reudh finally got to the medical facility, and knocked on the door. No answer. Weird...

It had been a while since Reudh had done much. There just wasn't much call for anything to do; he'd just kept himself busy doing pretty average maintenance work throughout the fort; just hauling and farming were his duties. Othob had recovered from his binge of alcohol; all he needed was a bit of water and clay and he was right as rain.

Heading to the farm again, Reudh and Othob met Kenoziathe. The stony-eyed elf was plowing the farm. Some aspect of his past life meant that farming put him at ease.

"Hello, Reudh. Hello, Othob. I've been plowing and weeding here; the land is the best I have ever seen. I don't know why, but the land in this fort is amazing for growth."

And here, he knelt down and began crooning to the small plants. It was in Elvish, not a language Reudh or Othob could understand.

"Aritha mana mathuva lelo... Ame ino [like] leri-themeno-onino... Ame ino [like] ayeva-beresi-onino. Ino mana [from] memefi-nema. Oleme-Kenoziathe ciri."

Over and over he sung this to the plant; it had no visible effect on them.

Reudh and Othob sat wondering. Was this the elven singing of the trees?

"That was beautiful, Kenozi." said Reudh.

Othob was more excited than moved. "I loved it, do it again!"

Kenozi looked up from the plants.

"You saw nothing. That was just singing, a cultural behaviour. I felt like it, and I felt it was right. It is no magic."

Reudh and Othob both halted; taken aback by Kenozi's brashness.

"All the same, it was beautiful," Reudh said, almost whispering.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:04 pm »

[We're not in the tropics, so I wouldn't imagine much would be growing above ground right now. Being near the sea, we probably aren't at a high enough elevation for much snow, but we've probably been seeing frost.]

[More corniness!]

"Well, first I'd better tell you about the holidays," began the dragon. "Back where I come from, when winter has worn on for months, we have a special time, a celebration. There are many names and customs (most people I knew called it Christmas), but they all happen around the same time. Though the darkest part of the year lies upon us, the coldest and bleakest, we do not lose hope. Instead, we defy the weather, giving each other feasts and gifts despite the scarce times." He paused for a moment. It all sounded dwarven enough, the stubborn spin, but the next part, well, he had second thoughts. What might this myth do to children who hadn't the inoculation of background exposure? He had a fairly good idea, but he decided to risk it.

"In fact," he continued, "there is one who laughs in the face of Winter. He lives in the coldest, most barren place in the entire world, but keeps a warm house and lives so well he stays fat and merry! His happy house teems with legendary craftsmen who work long to make trinkets fine enough to bring tears of joy to any dwarf's eyes. And once every year, on a certain night around the solstice, he goes all around the world, bringing gifts to every good child. And he does this all in a single night."

As HugoLuman thought, he REALLY had their attention now. "What's his name? What's his name?" piped one of his tiny listeners.

"He is known as Santa."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:59 pm »

[We're not in the tropics, so I wouldn't imagine much would be growing above ground right now. Being near the sea, we probably aren't at a high enough elevation for much snow, but we've probably been seeing frost.]

[I always kinda envisioned the farm being like a greenhousey thing inside the fort, underground, hence plants could grow there.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: January 15, 2013, 08:27:06 pm »

[I suppose that makes sense, somewhat easier to defend and whatnot.]
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 306