Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Released and ready to a head-on collision.  (Read 15656 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation?ref=live

Oh dear, here we go again.

Funded Goal: $400,000

Current Funded Amount: $597,961

Days remaining: ZERO

What to say about Carmageddon? Well, for starters, it was an unapologetically violent racing game, where killing pedestrians and other racers with your war car while doing laps around the city was more important to winning than what placed you finished in. The faster you're going, the more people you hit at once, the crazier and more exotic way you maim, cripple and kill, the more you win. Crude? Yes. Kind of disturbing? Very yes. Pathologically fun? Absolutely. It spawned a sequel which was decent iirc, and then it faded into obscurity.

The game was actually in the middle of getting a re-boot about a year ago, but apparently it's caught Kickstarter fever. The rewards are pretty meh, and even poking fun at the whole idea of it. Still, a racing game with Carmageddon's sensibilities (or lack thereof) in 2013 is something I've been wishing for.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:55:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carmageddon plows into Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:53 pm »

Oh man, this game dominated my childhood.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

If only I had 10,000 dollars.

shutupandtakemymoney.gif
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

Heh, I don't think I'll be funding it, but I'm glad to see its being done.  I had a ton of fun with Carmageddon as a kid.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »

I remember doing burnouts in piles of corpses would get you bloody tire marks that went on for miles and miles. I was actually kind of creeped out by the realism of people bouncing off the hood of your car in GTA4...so part of me is curious what kind of gore they'll be going for. So over the top you don't really take it serious, or more realistic with full rag dolls and all that.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:22 pm »

It said they have full ragdoll and physics-based power-ups, there's an implied "grantie car" powerup, maybe making your car really really really dense?
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:50 pm »

Oh good. Carmageddon actually had really good handling for its days, which made all the difference when you were flipping your car over crowds of people and what not.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

I love their video.
"The pope tried to have our game banned, we are extremely proud of that achievement"
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:24:44 am »

I'm curious how they'll go about the actual car destruction physics. In 2 they had like highly deformable plus being able to dynamically tear apart (like you can see at one moment in their vid). I don't think I've seen any other game go for that level of dynamic destruction. Most have used the okish GTA3 model where you have like 1 other state for each detachable car part rather than actual deformity. I guess mostly because the deformable stuff tends to look a bit glitchy (like if the car roof gets bent over the driver and passangers). But I'd still love to see something of that level of detail.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:58 am »

Oh yeah, the car destruction was superb in C2. The only thing that bothered me was how easy it was to cut your car in half on those indestructible edges of windows.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 12:36:23 am »

Anyone remember the powerup you got (I think it was "suicidal pedestrians") that made every person on the map swarm and dry hump your car?

I laughed for HOURS.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:38:12 am »

Oh good. Carmageddon actually had really good handling for its days, which made all the difference when you were flipping your car over crowds of people and what not.

True that. It was one of the few arcadey titles with actual 3d terrain, free to roam and decent suspension model for cars.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:06 am »

Anyone remember the powerup you got (I think it was "suicidal pedestrians") that made every person on the map swarm and dry hump your car?

I laughed for HOURS.

Yes. Best childhood memories ever.

This game serves as an excellent example of how video games dont corrupt children. How many new drivers do you see attaching giant mechanical springs onto their car to shoot at random pedestrians? Exactly.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:37:28 am »

AWESOME!  Yeah I used to play the crap out of this game.  It really was badass for its time.  The handling, vehicle deformation, ragdoll physics, huge maps with plenty of things to find.  (Carma2).

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:48:25 am »

This game serves as an excellent example of how video games dont corrupt children. How many new drivers do you see attaching giant mechanical springs onto their car to shoot at random pedestrians? Exactly.
Spoiler: Um... (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5