Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Released and ready to a head-on collision.  (Read 15650 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Out on Steam Early Access now!
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 02:54:51 pm »

MEGA NECRO!

This is out on Early Access now. Watching some videos it does look pretty much like Carmageddon, only shiner and with more physics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:32 pm »

I'm very excited.  :D
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:15 pm »

pretty much nailed the original feeling.

there are additional modes hinted all over the place, so I am very excited as some of the old carmageddon mechanics I don't really like anymore.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 07:38:10 pm »

So, I noted this came out on EA back in March, but after watching some videos decided it was too much of an alpha to be fun.

Checked out some videos today when it randomly occurred to me I hadn't thought about the game in while. And it's looking pretty good. A couple unskinned vehicles and stuff still showing, but many vehicles in are considered "completed." Maybe I was just hankering for something different, but I bought it. Anyone else fiddled with it recently? Is the racing more or less done, with points and shit? Their videos show off that their maiming is quite polished.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:00:33 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Out on Steam Early Access now! (Alpha Update 4)
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:56 am »

I guess I'll answer my own question.

So the first 20 or 30 minutes with the game was rough. I set everything to medium, turned on the effects, anti-aliasing, v-sync. Spend a few minutes trying to figure out how to customize keyboard mapping and give up...the tutorial race ran like dog shit so I quit out. Also took about 5 minutes to load the level. Not promising. My machine is getting aged, but this was still pretty bad, like I was way, way way out of spec for it, which I know I'm not.

Restart, turn off all the extra crap, turn a couple things down. Struggle to read the menus right. Previewing cars takes forever to load each one, and it's unclear whether I'm picking one or not. Fiddle with race stuff, still confused why I can't seem to pick a car, so I just start the game. It's sorta playable, if you like 30 FPS in a racing game. I didn't really read the instructions carefully enough, so my camera gets set to a weird angle, and the "repair my car button" doesn't seem to work exactly as advertised. I crash around the level like a drunk driver, get taken out by racers constantly, to the point my roommate walks away disappointed. Very not promising.

But I persevered. I plugged in my game pad, because the game is way too sensitive to play with a keyboard. I turn everything, absolutely everything off graphics wise. I spend some time messing with race settings (tweaking all the race settings took away a lot of pain. Let me set how much money (i.e. repairs) I wanted, race length, yadda yadda. Answered some car picking questions too.) It takes about ~3 minutes to load a level by now. Still not good, but the levels are fucking huge and it's a "pre-alpha", whatever the fuck that means after this long on Steam Early Access.

And you know what? Plays pretty smooth and doesn't look terrible. Doesn't look great either, but enough to pass muster.

Handles way, way better with a controller than a keyboard (just keyboard because the mouse seems to do fuck all outside of menus) and after a few races I started to feel like I knew what I was doing. It started feeling exactly like Carmageddon Classic at that point. The game, for what it's about, is surprisingly intricate in some aspects. Vehicle damage modeling for one. It's super-detailed (even at lowest settings.) So if you broad side a guy going max speed, their whole car is going to have a noticeable curve to it for the rest of the game. Weapons and tires get smashed off, shifters get busted, engines get critted, and the cars drive erratically.

In the post game review, I could look at some cars and go 'oh, yeah, that's when I nailed that dude doing X" when looking at the damage patterns. Pretty neat.

It handles pretty sensitively too. I made the mistake of starting with the sports cars, and that contributed to me driving like shit. It's the kind of game you have to let off the gas when you turn :P The cars handle noticeably differently and while the overall effect is still pretty arcade-y, when you combine it with the damage modeling, it comes off as much more detailed that you'd think at first blush just wrecking into stuff at top speed. The car repair visual is pretty cool too, and pieces of your car reappear and re-attach themselves virtual-reality style as you're driving around.

4 or 5 big levels with several race routes through each. Races are kinda incidental to game in truth, but it makes it feel like there's a lot of content. There's at least 8 or so cars to pick from already, so lots of stuff to try.

The writing in general is reminiscent of the old game too; super crude, occasionally offensive or sterotypical 90s humor. So it gets a chuckle or two for being crude.

All in all it's looking pretty good, once you get it running well. Obviously they have a shit ton of optimization to do, and they consider the game in early, early, early Alpha still. It seems like updates have hit a little over a month at a time, so while development is steady, the game seems pretty stable and it's fun to play at the most basic level of gameplay, it feels like it has a long way to go still.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation. (Beta v.09ish) Fun and playable, now.
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »

What a difference a few months and a whole new computer make.

With everything cranked up it plays pretty well now (with a fairly expensive PC.) Still has a little hitch or two at the start of the race, and occasionally hitches during gameplay. Level load times on a standard HDD are still about 2 minutes.

But career mode is in with the a tutorial now, which I think I really needed to start with the last time I played. I think the game is pretty stable at this point, although it currently has some really annoying bugs (controls won't save unless you make a directory for them, clicking any of the mouse buttons causes the game to lose focus and drop you to your desktop.)

Other than that it's pretty swell, I think it's to the point where I can finally sit down and play it consistently. Multiplayer is also live, although I haven't had a crack at it.

Despite not getting quite as much hoopla as other nostalgia reboots, I think Carma Reincarnated (god what acronym works for that) is pretty much a success story. The game has taken it's time and it's not without a few issues. But it's a faithfully recreated reboot that hasn't really spared any details. Not the physics, not the destruction, not the content or the core premise of what made Carma good. Considering how many Kickstarter games I've backed that the compromises have not sat well with me (I did not actually back Carma), Carma Reincarnated really hasn't let me down in any way*

*with a good PC and after months of tweaks, patches and bugs I wasn't present for
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:40:22 pm by nenjin »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2015, 08:57:17 am »

do weapons attached to cars do something now? I remember in carma that hitting with the big pointy twisting thing of the yellow monster truck was no different that hitting with any other part of it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:27 am »

do weapons attached to cars do something now? I remember in carma that hitting with the big pointy twisting thing of the yellow monster truck was no different that hitting with any other part of it.

They actuallly did something but it was not as effective/cool as it should be.
Cars have strong and weak points. For example the giant dumpster truck you have to kill in one mission has a extremely weak drivers cabin. Of course said cabin is quite high up so hitting it is a rather daunting task.

It's also the reason the dumpster can spontaneously explode upon hitting a wall or failing to pass a checkpoint.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Carmageddon: Reincarnation officially left EA and released in full today.

I'd call it a reboot of the original pretty much across the board. Nice graphics, more detailed physics, some additional cars and power-ups, the usual current gen niceities. Haven't had a chance to play the release version yet, but, I was fairly pleased with the last build.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like the game is a mess at the moment as people are hammering negative reviews for releasing a beta/buggy  version of the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone's big gripe seems to be optimization. That they can't get 60 FPS and therefore it's shit.

(i7 4790K
GTX 970
16 gigs of ram
regular hard drive)

Is my rig. I don't tend to obsess about FPS (since i played on a medium rig being happy to get 30 FPS on a modern game for most of my life), and I don't think it's that poorly optimized. Everything cranked up I think it looks decent, except for peds are a little fuzzy. When you have to dial everything down, I don't doubt the game looks a lot worse.

Long load times are noticeable but I don't think unreasonable given the size and detail of the levels.

There are the usual release day network problems as well.

So it is probably still having some optimization issues you can brute force your way past for the most part, and if you're just scraping by on min spec it may run poorly and look poorer.

Other than that, even the negative reviews seem to agree it feels like old Carma, whether that's a good or bad thing in their eyes. I had fun with it, although it very definitely feels like an arcadey game of the 90s when you get down to brass tax. I'd like to take a stab at MP when it's a little more stable.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:38:57 pm by nenjin »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh runs fine on a gtx970 and a i7 4790k, that's good then.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I played during the EA, and it was clearly like old Carma with better graphics and maybe a few new things (too young to remember). Basically what I asked for.
10/10, would reboot again in a few years :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]