Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Masterwork DF Suggestions (Guild-System Discussion continues here)  (Read 35634 times)

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for modding / Masterwork DF Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:33 pm »

if your interested try taking some magic stuff from this ongoing anime

http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/fairy-tail-episode-31-online

metal junk
adventurer able to dig build and chop
plastics (yay water in a bottle)
cannons of death and life
magic pandas
magic animals
gemstones of extreme power(for exp chaos emeralds,master emeralds,majic gemstones form other games, etc)
fruit juice
chocolate? did you just SAY CHOCOLATE??!?! CHOCOLATE! CCCCHHHHOOOOCCCCOOOOLLLAATTTEEE!!!!(LOL)
Magical walking trees
flying/ floating skytowns or civilizations
flying/ floating water in air
clouds of death
more magic powers
laser eyes (POWER)
deadly dust
ashes to ashes dust to dust its ot complete if there is no RUST
brain washing people to do what you please
magic gemstone games(lessen the chance for dwarfs usualy children to go RAGE and give you fun)
chess
magic wind powers(tornado etc)
magic stone/ore/dirt/sand/ you name it wall destroyer power
magic wall building out of near by mats
magic carpet
Eggmen
doctor Eggman ruler of the eggmen
eggmen shoots roting smell to rot your nose
and make your nose bleed you to death
candy
santa (if you cant make the slay or animals that pull them then make him fly like super man )
chimnie's in human houses (for santa)
santa's workshop
a blue hedgehog speed of sound.... stops eggman
presents
human history books
common libarys
mechanical moving beds (nobles want golden moving beds to go around in!)
stone rain
ore rain
insect spray
human zoo's
back scratcher's
pillows
lights (candles)
rolling bolder traps ()
dog houses
cat houses
dog toys
cat toys
dog treats
cat treats
secrete rooms in human towns.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:46:44 pm by azrael300 »
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 06:31:42 am »

Field surgery might be interrupted by people hauling the injured dwarf of to the real hospital.

The artillery would work, yes. But at the cost of several buildings, dwarf transformations and more. No way I will build it in, besides the point that it sounds way to WW1 for me.
Could you make the area next to the MASH designated as a hospital so this doesn't happen?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »

To bring this back from the dead, I have an idea for the spawned creatures/turrets/etc.
Based on a story about pet gremlins hunting, I had the idea form: What if we could spawn something that automatically fishes/hunts/etc? It would seem that all that is needed is a natural skill tag for that profession. For example, Gremlins have natural ambusher skill, which makes them hunters by profession. Hopefully this would work with 'friendly' units.
I know it sounds crazy and fragmented, but it may just work.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »

know that plan would work (I really hate crushing good theories) if:
1. Spawned creatures are normally built from Transformations, which null and void NATURAL_SKILL
2. Spawned creatures as you said are "Friendly" thus not apart of your civ, and are not affected by fortress related AI
3. That labor would have to be enabled by the Game during a migrant wave (have no idea if pets get labors enabled, but leafBarret said something about his Eevee trying to fish)

Crazy and fragmented indeed. But maybe some DFusion might be able to make it come true, if that "Friendly" can be placed on the same civ ID and count as a citizen. Maybe, just maybe...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »

-bump- or in other words: Still open for new ideas ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:30 pm »

Meph, me and a up and coming modder Shaso have been discussing that "enslaving" captive invaders idea.

Donno if you have tried this but, what if you have a syndrome/interaction to say transfrom a goblin into a dog for 6 months. Would you be able to tame that transformed goblin? in which when tamed becomes a part of your civ? and then you can train that dog for war/hunting and when changes back to a goblin would be a war pet right?

He hasn't gotten back to me on his SCIENCE and I have little time to do any SCIENCE of any sort.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:40 pm »

Tried that, even as a pet it will remain hostile, not wildlife. Has to do with soul and civ-alignend I think.I also got some crashes when transforming trapped invaders, but that was many version ago. Best of luck. Oh, and I also noticed that full cages can be used in reactions, with the content being destroyed if the cage is used up in the reaction... maybe you can use preserve reagent with cages full of invaders to get them to the workshop easier.

Good luck :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »

Maybe he will crack the code haha.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 11:41:20 pm »

Meph since you think genetics doesn't fit into Dwarf Fortress, why don't you turn it into a magic tech tree? Like one idea is that you can kill a creature takes its' essence then transfer into another creature like a cat. So if you take like a dragon's essence(once it's killed if not tamed) and transfer it into let's say a cat; one of three reaction can happen or maybe all three depending on luck. The cat will sprout wings then having the ability to fly or grow freakishly large, maybe also have the ability to breath fire. Maybe you can use the chemist or alchemist(your choice) to extract essence without killing the creature, and then you can also make special container(that is also reusable). Like for example you have a dragon's essence you will need a adamantium or greater in order to make container to contain the essence. Maybe you can even put these effects into dwarves if it is even possible.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:55:03 am by jaass »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 03:06:49 am »

About invaders.... will transformed invader still be counted as sentient and not permitted to be butchered? Although Meph got that as aceeptable anyway:) So say you can make a special spawn point which can turn any invader in that room (so you need a little countdown for your dwarfs to get away and open the cages) and that spawner will make a stone with syndrome turning all those invaders into VERY meaty and bony but increadably fragile creatures... might be a bit too complicated,,, but very dwarfy:) Only problem is i am not usre if dead enemies continue to be that meatbags. Also syndrome should not affect dwarfes:)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 04:19:18 am »

Alchemy and Chemistry System
Minerals can be made into powder and liquids and used as reagents.
Alchemy = Philosophers stone, creates metals, elxir of life, fully heals/makes ageless.
Chemistry = Blackpowder for landmines, acid and warpstone for landmine/turret fillings.

Problem: Both are quite similar concerning raw ingredients and have a limited use. The chemist only helps with landmines/turrets. What else could be done with chemistry ? I feel the PVC, Plastics and Kevlar is too high tech for DF, and there is no raw oil liquid that could be mined. There is no way to apply poisons to weapons... real Chemists welcome for this discussion.

As currently implemented I think you could probably combine the ammo mint and chemist.  Two different recipes for black powder/gunpowder are a bit confusing.

I wonder if the reason you have trouble thinking what to do at the chemist is that many of the "realistic" uses of chemistry from the middle ages are already implicitly performed at other workshops in DF.  e.g. metallurgy, paper making, glass crafting, creating and coloring ceramics, a bit of medicine.  Proper weights and measures & distillations are a bit too abstract for the game.  Explosives you already have covered.  So unless you want to tie chemistry in to make the crafting chain more complex for some other industries i am at a loss too.

a few ideas:  (1):  you could make the brick factory make only red bricks from clay, white bricks from stone, and grey (concrete) bricks from sand; and require chemistry (metal salts?) to make all the other brilliant colors. 

(2) Making steel from steeloak farms is a bit too easy in my opinion, I wouldn't mind seeing that take a chemical reagent (mineral oil?) to balance out how little coke/fuel it takes

(3) Chemistry must somehow be implicitly used in the reaction that turn random blocks into slade.  maybe that requires mineral oil too ;)

Glass Industry Overhaul
Not much done in that direction yet, so everything goes. Volcanic/Obsidian glass ? Glass weapons and armor ? Batch glass making ?

I would sort of like to see batches that reduce the fuel cost of things that seem like they should be more common, like glass/ceramic jugs or clay bricks. 

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:54 am »

Parasites and symbiotes.

Some of the most interesting life forms on earth are creatures that utilize other creatures' behavior as part of their ridiculously complex life cycles, and there are some real-life parasites that can literally transform the physiology or mental processes of their hosts.  Even more interesting are those that offer some kind of benefit to their host as well.

Say, for instance, a growable plant, that when consumed, takes over a dwarf's physiology and transforms him into a plant monster that can be used as a powerful battle pet.  Which lays the seeds for its plant form as eggs.  Which other dwarves can then plant, allowing them to convert more dwarves as needed.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 12:20:13 pm »

Parasites and symbiotes.

Some of the most interesting life forms on earth are creatures that utilize other creatures' behavior as part of their ridiculously complex life cycles, and there are some real-life parasites that can literally transform the physiology or mental processes of their hosts.  Even more interesting are those that offer some kind of benefit to their host as well.

Say, for instance, a growable plant, that when consumed, takes over a dwarf's physiology and transforms him into a plant monster that can be used as a powerful battle pet.  Which lays the seeds for its plant form as eggs.  Which other dwarves can then plant, allowing them to convert more dwarves as needed.
Interesting concept, and completely do-able.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »

Also hard to balance ;)

I do have some kind of simple hostile parasite, based upon the Alien movies... facehugger vermin (3rd cavern) that can "bite" dwarves, and they transform into a "green devourer" a suitable horrifiyng cavern monster after a few months. Clearly there is room for improvement.

@smake: This is exactly my problem. I cant make most things without using other features. But if I have industries that depend on other industries, then they are broken as soon as people disable 1/2 of it. or 1/5. Imagine that a tiny part of the turret building needs a chemist, and they player chose to play without chemistry. Or you have ink, bookcovers, stacks of paper (from whereever) but you disabled the Libraries/Training System. 

How can I do complex industries with a nice workflow, but at the same time keep the features independent from each other, so people can enable/disable them as they like ? Maybe I should group similar-themed workshops/industries together. Magic, Tech, Metalworking, and so on... instead of a on-off button for each individual buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14