Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Masterwork DF Suggestions (Guild-System Discussion continues here)  (Read 35636 times)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for modding / Masterwork DF Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2012, 09:55:45 am »

Related to the last topic of spawning enemies in workshops:

What about having a magical workshop with the ability to spawn some ghostly enemies as kind of training dummies for your militia? Like a ghostly bronze collosus, which will die after a certain amount of time, but in the meantime provides some "live" combat experience for your dwarfes.

Test of Armok, yes, sounds cool, i can see people killing the trial monster(s) with traps, marksdwarfes behind fortifications and lava though, but thats kind of the danger room discussion, isnt it? I want it.

Also, some more golem and turret variants would be really cool. Maybe linked to the spawn enemies idea. A turret that shoots pure death (deadly syndrome, does not spread, slow rate of fire (can you adjust rate of fire?)), little golems (not as strong or durable as normal golems, but easier to make, link to the terracotta army you are planning), maybe more golem materials (mithril golems, SLADEMATINE GOLEMS!) and turrets that can walk (needs a very very very rare automaton drop, or again, another spawn enemies ;) )

Just my thoughts, at least those that make some sense, the rest is junk and gets melted down and recycled right now

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2012, 11:02:06 am »

I like the idea of tombs that spawn enemies when you open them up.

I don't like the idea of each invader having their own priest class, because it makes it harder to have low-magic games.  I would like the idea of each invader having a priest class that you could toggle on/off depending on mood.

I don't have strong feelings either way about the idea of standardizing fossil items - I've never gone through the trouble of exhuming them in my own fortresses, I can see advantages to doing it either way.  Standardizing would be more in keeping with the overall philosophy that Masterworks has.

With regards to your idea about making fossils more random, I think I'd probably dig up fossils more often if they were, since I'd always be hoping to get something amazing out of them.

I was thinking that dinosaur fossils could be another way of using the "spawn a creature in a workshop" idea.  Say you dig up a sauropod fossil, you could then take it to the temple of life and turn the fossil into a living breathing sauropod (or possibly sauropod breeding pair, for ease of management).  So sauropods, raptors and tyrannosaurs would only be available through digging up fossils.

Though this does make me think - since races can do all the reactions assigned to them, and we are talking about lots of reactions to create hostile, or potentially hostile beasts - would this have a tendency of making the dwarfs go extinct?  Or alternatively, would dwarf caravans arrive bearing Anubis warrior pets (even though all summoned anubi would be hostile when you run the reaction in your fortress)?

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2012, 11:06:20 am »

Test of Armok, yes, sounds cool, i can see people killing the trial monster(s) with traps, marksdwarfes behind fortifications and lava though, but thats kind of the danger room discussion, isnt it? I want it.

Traps = Trapavoid.
Marksdwarves = Good point... mh... maybe it could shoot back ?
Magma = The item you want ? It melts. No magma ;)

More turret variants I could do, but at some point it just gets exaggerated. Lets see what I can come up with, there are enough tower defense games to borrow from. Terracotta Army stuff is planned already. And Mithril Golems exist already :P The problem is that I have to make 3 new creatures for every time I make a new material for them. Walking turrets I wont do ^^

EDIT:@fasquardon:

The civ will run the reactions, but no transformation take place in worldgen, so the civ will never spawn any hostile creatures. Spawning dinosaurs only from fossils would be awesome, but they are tagged "friendly" and wont work as pets.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:15:12 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:34 am »

Traps = Trapavoid.
Marksdwarves = Good point... mh... maybe it could shoot back ?
Magma = The item you want ? It melts. No magma ;)

More turret variants I could do, but at some point it just gets exaggerated. Lets see what I can come up with, there are enough tower defense games to borrow from. Terracotta Army stuff is planned already. And Mithril Golems exist already :P The problem is that I have to make 3 new creatures for every time I make a new material for them. Walking turrets I wont do ^^

EDIT:@fasquardon:

The civ will run the reactions, but no transformation take place in worldgen, so the civ will never spawn any hostile creatures. Spawning dinosaurs only from fossils would be awesome, but they are tagged "friendly" and wont work as pets.
What if you do the Cave-in, Cage-trap, and... tame them?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2012, 12:17:58 pm »

Standardized fossils = awesome :)

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:22 pm »

Fossils - i was talking about it for a long time but didn't voiced any opinion on it and here you are - getting even better ideas than i could even think of:) Basically for fossils that's all - you make 3 types of stone - the ancient rubble and trap and fossil which lie in the rubble. Can make traps either more common or more rare and even turn them off if you want. Then just make a fossil reaction which is going to give you a cut gem of weapon, armor, chest, ancient fossil and so on (might do it even with soap - less chance to let it go into some decoration). After that automatic reaction to get staff of it - weapons or armor, coins and precious metal bars and gems from treasure chests, books and alchemic reagents up to philosopher stone from anicent mage's storages and from fossil - t-rex bone and shark tooth and also maybe t-rex egg which can spawn a t-rex (build cage traps around archeologist so it can move into them and be cought and tamed if it works anyway). Maybe can do with some other rarer things - like demon armor and weapon (demonic material needs real good bumping - i think better do them from slademantine).Also it can be a chest of ancient elves with some treant seeds, or norrium/silphium seeds/plants, planks/bars of steeloak and ancient elven magic books which are required to make treants even appear (like a building mat for a spawning circle for elven things).
Hm it is a good idea to think  aout at all - workshops require magic book as a building mat to make some things - like a book of armok teachings to build armok temple (can be given by slaying an armok guardian), elven book of nature to build spawning circle for trants and spitting plants, and so on. Well it may be easier to use it as a component in  a reaction but this way it can make less hauling jobs for dwarfes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:07 pm »

Not a reagent... building mat sounds about right. That way you only need the big item once.  I can spawn groups of smaller enemies for the reagents you get from it. One thing that I want to avoid is unnecessary buildings, so one spawnpoint for stuff you set up, and one "evil hostile spawnpoint summoning circle" would suffice. I wont make 1 manufacturing and 1 spawning buildings for every theme... too much.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:28 pm »

I've finally gotten round to typing up my thoughts on the magic system, and it's quite substanstial. I'm not a fan of the current magic system - each of the different branches seems like too much of the same thing over again, so I suggest an alternative that will provide a large variety of flavours. Keep in mind that the spell lists are just example possibilities.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »

@ed boy: I appreciate the very long and thoughfull post.

As a note I want to say that the current system is so similar to help players understand it.

Sadly, most things are not possible. Liquid pain, taking buckets full of water as ingredient, corpses as ingredient, animals that cant be bought matured, seeds for plants that cant be bought, sacrificing sentient creatures, making people younger, give immunity to heat or cold damage, (all buffs, like the different skins only work through transformation, so only one buff for each  and all kinds of other problems), basing things of the value of items, basing things of the quality of items... my best guess is that 80% of your suggestions are impossible to mod into the game. And I am really sorry to say that. I do however understand that many new reactions would make sense, and that 4 magic systems, for the 4 races, also fits well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2012, 08:14:22 pm »

Unfortunately, I've found that most suggestions are impossible to add to DF.

Also, I've heard that interesting effects happen involving transformations into creatures with lower max ages. Could that be used to make people younger?

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:36 am »

Is it possible to make a reaction that creates magma? Specifically say a building which you build with one open space slot, and the magma drops through in an open reservoir below? Or maybe in some other way?

I was thinking of a mega-building, Great magma temple of armok, where you sacrifice things to Armok to get.. magma. Like say, blood, or a very hard to get type of custom brew that maybe requires cavern-only plants to be mixed in with other plants, etc. And then with the magma you could create near-surface level magma forges, traps, anything. There's always a use for magma.

raledon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2012, 09:29:54 am »

Suggestion: food system overhaul:
Food value should be adjusted. Currently, a barrel of cooked food can reach the value of 20K, more than many legendaries.
High quality food should be worth a lot, but currently a food based industry is the way to go (just lost to it, though, as I got invaded too early).
Part of it should be, I believe, in readjusting the quality control- a masterwork meal will consist of mostly masterworked ingredients and very few none masterwork, instead of the current pick-the-highest.
Dwarves will have the option of rationing, from half, normal (same as now), double and quadruple and up to 8x.
A dwarf eating less will have a reduced stats, while fattening will induce happy thoughts, add the "fat" description (makes him last longer without food) and adds bonuses. Bonuses apply only to double and quadruple.
Eating 8x will not grant a specific bonus, but increases the chance to eat well made food.
Higher quality food will grant bonuses, while a "like" (if the food contains an ingredient the dwarf likes) will make the food a +1 in quality level (masterwork will turn to legendary).
To sum it up: eating a lot grants dwarves bonuses, making them eat more in bigger intervals, and extra bonus if they eat good food.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2012, 12:24:18 pm »

That's for Toady:) Not for modders. Absolutely impossible to change without rewriting game and we don't do it - that's developer's business:)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

Yeah, the food is not balanced currently. One the one hand your masterwork lavish meals are over the top valuable, on the other hand 1 gold-object buys you all the food you ever need. I wish I could limit the amount of food caravans bring.

Anyway, have a new idea.

Familiars
Each mage has the interaction to transform one pet into a special pet for him. Lets say a giant spider for the necromancer, it stops approaching enemies with webs, while the necromancer fights ranged... or a demon hound for the demonbound, to help him in close combat. Each can be wartrained and assigned to the mage, and they do buff each other with interactions. This way people dont put them somewhere else. Magmamancer with 2 fire imps linked to him ?

These could be transformed from a generic pet creature you have to buy first, or from a specific type of creature. However only works once for each mage.

Oh, and I can give Magmamancers special abilities as long as they stand in Magma. Yes, we have the technology.

EDIT: Just remembered this one here: Make Magma and Water in Workshops @tierre (or any other volunteer) could you just run a test for this ? I never tried, would really love how it turns out in fortress mode and if that can have any use. I already know that you still need a volcano or magmalake for enabling the magma buildings, but this should power them nicely.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:06:35 pm by Meph »

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2012, 01:22:32 pm »

Yeah I think it's perfectly fine to require that you find natural magma for the workshops to appear. But the ability to make near-surface magma forges without a 100 lvl pump stack or a piston would be beautiful. It shouldn't be easy, but something to look forward to setting up in a mature fortress.

And yeah food is hard to balance. Is the happiness that dwarves get from food connected to the value of the food in a hardcoded way? I.e. can you mod food so that it's cheap but dwarves still get a high amount of happiness from eating it? If so, I think just an across the board 1/4 or so multiplier to the current value of food would put it in better balance with other ways to make value.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14