Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.  (Read 7710 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »

What is the most beautiful word in the English language?  For me, there's no contest.

Vindication...

I have a handful of peeves that can really set off.  Physics not working the way I expect it too, waiting on something for no readily apparent reason, and waiting on something when the reason is other people's gross incompetence are all high among them.  And driving... Driving in traffic punches my buttons like a silverback gorilla who thinks he's being fed for it.  And it's with no small amount of pride that I've managed to temper my frothing rage at the way other people drive, but now I'm a nine-to-five drone like the rest of humanity, I am truly starting to wear thin.

And don't think I'm a hypocrite about it.  I don't blame people who jump between lanes or cut someone off, they're mad just like me.  And I don't blame people for driving cautiously either, believe me, I know I should too, and bless them for leaving a proper number of car lengths between the vehicle in front of them (since it makes it a lot easier for the assholes to get around).  And I don't blame any large vehicles or trailers, they have every reason in the world to be slow.

I reserve my blame for a couple classes of people.  There are those who drive unnecessarily cautious.  And they exist, don't try to excuse them.  There is no reason in the world to be doing twenty MPH under the speed limit, if anything you're putting yourself and others in danger.  But more than that maybe, who I really blame are the people who are clearly just not paying attention to what the Hell they're doing.  The people who don't have a set speed in mind, they just stick like glue to whatever car gets next to them.  Or swerve and slow down to look at shit on the other side of the highway.  Or change lanes leftward and then slow down below the prevailing speed.  Or slow down as if there were traffic in front of them, where it is abundantly obvious the traffic is only beside them.  In short, people who are clearly taking their cues from atavistic instincts regarding moving objects in their peripheral vision (or perhaps believing their car can drive itself), and not exercising any particular amount of rational consideration or forethought to their actions.

I plan every move thirty seconds in advance, because I know I'm sharing the road with an exponentially larger number of people who don't so much as consider their navigation even after they're doing it.  And when I'm inevitably stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with obstructions in sight, I find myself pondering existential questions.

Why is the left lane always the first one to stop, when by definition there is no merging traffic there?
Can people lose their sense of object permanence after infancy?
When one is caught in traffic, is not "proceeding when the car in front of you does" automatically your main priority?
Why is that every time I change lanes, the lane I get into is the one that stops next?
And am I the only motherfucker on this highway with a vested interest in arriving at their destination?

Somewhere in the simmering rage that I build in my cab, I developed a theory.  That there are actors out there - Big Oil, The Police, George Soros, The Guvmint, Oprah Winfrey, The Majestic XII - for whom rampant traffic congestion is in itself desirable.  That there exists a concerted effort to create freeways full of automobiles, idling along at walking pace.  Above and beyond a small but real brand of people who just enjoying fucking up other people's days by being obnoxious.

My commute today provided some interesting object lessons on both ends of the scale.  My bread and butter these days is the Dallas North Tollway, a publicly-funded Chinese-owned American Autobahn where they invented the technology of eliminating the booths and just sucking their fare straight out of your bank account.  I'm even lucky enough to be going against the main flow of traffic, headed outbound to the suburbs in the morning and returning downtown in the evening.  The drive would take about twenty-five to thirty minutes at the posted limit of 70MPH - it never takes less than fifty.  This morning in particular saw a five mile long jam where on more than one occasion all three lanes came to a dead halt for the better part of a minute.  The kind of jam that makes me say things like, "There better be a dead body at the end of this line, so I know we're here for a good reason."

The reason: A bag of cement mix had fallen into the road, creating a gossamer thin dustcloud where two highways merged.  I'm aware of the theory of "phantom traffic", where ordinary behavior can ripple backwards to create nightmare congestion, and you can see the ripple effect from hilltops.  But I've always said that every jam is somebody's fault.  These somebodies made themselves known at the cloud.

Type 1, The Good People: Those who, upon achieving open road ahead, apply a controllable amount of acceleration and stay in one damn lane as they approach the posted speed limit.
Type 2, The Assholes: Those who, upon achieving open road, immediately hit eighty-eight miles an hour in an attempt to warp back in time to when they weren't late.
Type 3, The Problem: Those who, upon achieving open road, take a solid minute to recognize it before removing their foot from the brake, try to decide which lane they need to be in, and attempt to reach prevailing highway speed through engine-idle alone.

(You can guess by now which group I belong to.)

But it was the drive home that gave had me shouting for joy.  There are three areas along the return drive that are always congested, and I can mostly understand why.  It's the exits that are the problem, exits onto other thoroughfares that will be narrowed to one lane by construction until 2025, or onto town street intersections where the space between the highway and the (poorly timed) red light is no where near large enough to hold the volume of traffic.  As stated, these created jams in the left lane because slow objects to your side apparently mean you're supposed to go slow too, no matter what.

Except for today.  Same time as always, all the same piles of cars trying to get off on a few exits, even a major accident on the other side of the road.  And I never had to drop below 60.  Until I got to problem area number three, and that's where I saw... them.  The traffic was thick but it was moving, and it was moving side to side.  When I got into the pack, I noticing the issue: everyone swerving around and passing about a dozen cars who were doing around 30MPH (on a 70MPH tollway) with only empty space in front of them.  Some of them tried to stay near each other, lining up two or three abreast and slowing down in concert until forced apart by circumstance.  A few even tried to fight about it, speeding up when passed to get back in front of people and then slow down again.  I weaved my way through to a big fat nothing on the other side, promising sacrifices to Mercury in thanks for someone dropping the ball over at the Department of Causing Fucking Traffic.

I finally found them.  They exist.  A class of people who have dedicated their lives, by employment or philosophy, to making the rest of the world waste time.  They're real, and I can prove it, goddammit.  I told you mom, I told you Internet, I told you Judge Riley, there really are people whose only purpose in being on the road is to slow it down, and even if they might not be doing it consciously it's definitely an active effort.

I was fucking right.  I am vindicated.  There really was a gremlin on the wing.  And now, to tell the world...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

I take care to be on the road as little as possible. I'm likely to be one of those people you're raging about.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:52 pm »

A+ rant, would read again. You might find this to be an interesting read on traffic jam physics.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

Why is the left lane always the first one to stop, when by definition there is no merging traffic there?

Because it's known as the lane of least resistance compared to the right, and I think people naturally pile up in the left lane thinking they'll get somewhere quicker.

Too bad you didn't stick this in the rage thread, it's pretty tasty. Although all my road rage was weeks ago.

I think I'm in the asshole category, personally. But when I drive fast the only thing my attention is focused on is not having an accident. So nothing pisses me off more than when I FINALLY get to a double lane street in my town, get going, and some dickless wonder in the other lane decides to change lanes into my lane just to check me. I may be the asshole because I speed beyond other people's comfort zone, but deliberately causing an accident? How fucking stupid do you have to be?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:50:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »

10/10 would bang.

Oops; my reddit is leaking.

That was brilliant. You should do standup.

What kind of job did you get? I seem to remember you getting a degree in poli sci.

I like to think I'm a good driver, but every now and then I think otherwise.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:49 pm »

I feel your pain brother. I have an hour-long highway commute to my main campus. It is a two lane highway (most of the way). Apparently one of the effects of old age is that you forget what a goddamn passing lane is for. Is it for driving 20 kmh below the speed limit, adjacent to another vehicle doing the same? I'm pretty fucking sure it's not.

I know, it's not as bad as commuting through an area with severe congestion, but in a way it almost makes me angrier. Because it's so simple.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »

Normally when I see stuff like this happen it's with lorries (which are limited to 55mph, making them 15mph slower than the speed limit and 20 slower than what people drive).  That could be out of jealousy at other road users who are allowed to travel faster.

There have also been truck drivers doing it intentionally as part of protests against fuel prices, so... maybe you've stumbled across a group of motorists trying out a new style of secret protesting?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »

secret protesting?

Since the world hasn't turned into a Dilbert strip yet I think the motives are much more base.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »

And there's the Aqizzar we know and find humorous.

The thing I find interesting is that Texas has a growing population. Cleveland has a declining population. Yet, we still have traffic and parking problems here somehow. [shrugs]. In a growing city, I could understand it. In an arguably dying one? ??? [shrugs]. 
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »

I live in a town that is mostly old people. Getting stuck behind a couple of cars going 20 or 30 miles below the speed limit (even if the limit is 35) for long stretches is a regular occurrence around here.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »

I love how I live in NYC and take the train  :P.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:24:17 pm »

Out of every state I've driven through in the USA, Texas was by far the most hellish. Part of that is because it's essentially a giant network of 8-lane freeways between huge megacities with nothing but giant expanses of flat brown nowhere in between. But part of it was also traffic behavior that I found to be endemic to Texas in particular. Wouldn't ever want to drive through that state again if I can help it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:26:41 pm by Lord Dullard »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:06 pm »

I FUCKING KNEW IT!!!

Thank you Aqizzar! I've seen the highways of Orlando (and sometimes Daytona Beach) have some similar crap go on, and the fact that it's a tourism capital really doesn't help either, although it would make plenty of sense for it to happen there as well, according to your notes. I've noticed these things happen before, and nobody else believed me and thought I had a chip on my shoulder and was being paranoid.

Vindication is indeed a beautiful word. Thank God I'm not alone in seeing when things don't seem right.

EDIT:
I still don't understand why people treat any speed limit as "go 20mph less than what it says", unless their license is almost down, or they're on their last decade (Snowbird Season). But even so, I've seen some rather ballsy elderly people, and I think they're just assholes much of the time (best witnessed before or after going to church).

EDIT EDIT:
Aboslute berserk button for me on the road is whenever I see total clearance on the road for a good at least 500m, and I'm stuck behind the one car that happens to go only 20-30 under, and usually on a single-lane road, and when it finally splits into 2, I have a hard time overtaking them (they actually speed up to match or break my speed, up to 70mph on a 50-limit). If especially enraged, I return the favor, even if it's out of my way. Fortunately, it's a rare occurrence when I do that, and if they pull me over to give me the "What the Hell?" speech, I already have a series of responses, depending on what they're talking about.

Funny enough, I've actually seen my local sheriff/police get frustrated with these kinds of people, and drive in a manner that would be completely justified. What sucks about these people driving is that they're technically still following the law, and therefore cannot be tried by law (not even a ticket or a citation). Cue some rather pissed off good cops and locals.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:44:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:25 pm »

I never figured out how to be part of the solution, so when I drive I tend to part of the problem.

I should note that my traffic antics are expressly geared towards frustrating assholes, though - if I see one of the 'good people' come along, I'll move aside to let them through even if a couple assholes escape. But god damn do I get a sick pleasure out of trolling people on the highway. To top it all off, my first priority when stuck in traffic is to find something to entertain me. I figure the jam will clear soon enough, and riding the bumper of the person in front of me to move forward a foot isn't a big deal. Heck, they can probably do that 5 or 6 times before I need to bother, and the worse that happens is a car sneaks in front of me. Big whoop.

Am I a bad person?

On the other hand, it's really better for everyone involved that I am no longer on the road.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »

If your goal is to troll people in several ton battering ram moving at high speed while on the road, yeah, I'd say you might be a bad person. Are you one of those people that fake swerves into others?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7