Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?  (Read 8512 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39:03 am »

I once tweaked the dwarf raws so that they had a maximum age of 2. Every year, half the population of the fort died of old age.

After the annual new year riot, it was a lot of fun trying to tidy everything up in time to attract more migrants. The fort could only survive by making lots of crafts, offering lots of wealth, getting lots of new workers.

how far did you push this insanity?

The original thread is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84769.0

Eventually the fort did fall, through starvation I think. When all your workers die before getting a chance to gain skills, everything goes very slowly, including making food. Having a load of useless babies who will never become adults doesn't help either.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:35 am »

Dwarf Fortress expects your dwarves to die violently, or survive until the player quits the fort from boredom. Thus, death from old age is currently unbalanced. I know this from trying to maintain a fort of dwarves modded to live 10-12 years; near the end, basically every year triggered massive unrest and chaos, and it was all I could do to stop a tantrum spiral from happening.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »

Well I suppose if my best friend died because he was 100 years old I wouldn't be as sad as I would have been if he died because he dodged a goat off a cliff. Or something.
If you were 99 years old, you might feel differently about it.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:23 pm »

Dying of old age is the pinnacle of dwarven achievement. You survived all the horrors and trials life threw at you and emerged victorious. Bonus points if megaprojects and !!SCIENCE!! were included.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 06:58:19 pm »

I do think the degree of negative thoughts for the death of a friend is way too severe.

It can push a dwarf from happy to miserable. And then a miserable dwarf is prone to going berserk, causing more deaths, and everyone ends up going insane.

it just takes a single dwarf ending up dead from any reason, even from something heroic, or form old age. They still can cause a tantrum spiral by themselves.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »

I definitely think that how a dwarf dies should affect the negative thoughts.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 10:36:55 pm »

Was happy his friend lived their life.

Since dwarves die so often, it should be a auto-escastic in IMHO.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 12:16:43 am »

Naw. It's still a sad thought. It just shouldn't be as severe as an unnatural death.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 04:13:49 am »

the severity of the thought could be personality dependent. . .  but yeah, death from old age should not be as bad as death by FB melting.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 04:24:23 am »

A sliding scale perhaps......

Level 1 - "... is grieving for an Elderly friend"
Level 2 - "... is grieving for an Elderly parent"
Level 3 - "... recently lost a friend to tragedy"
Level 4 - "... recently lost a relative to tragedy"
Level 5 - "... recently lost a child to tragedy"

Then have a hard-coded value for each level, possibly multiplied by a factor representing the closeness of the relationship.

Edit: And then there is this option-
Level (minus) 5 - "Urist McNastyPrick has been ecstatic lately.  He witnessed a long term enemy cark it, (and not before time, too)"

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:50:01 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 05:00:28 am »

I once tweaked the dwarf raws so that they had a maximum age of 2. Every year, half the population of the fort died of old age.

After the annual new year riot
, it was a lot of fun trying to tidy everything up in time to attract more migrants. The fort could only survive by making lots of crafts, offering lots of wealth, getting lots of new workers.

"This years new years party is going to be a riot... LITERALLY!"

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:45 am »

Well I suppose if my best friend died because he was 100 years old I wouldn't be as sad as I would have been if he died because he dodged a goat off a cliff. Or something.
If you were 99 years old, you might feel differently about it.   ;)

Are you sure? Most family/friends/acquaintances in their 80ies and 90ies seemed quite relaxed about death to natural courses.
Getting old and one day going to sleep and waking up dead is natural and predictable.
And while I was very sad to lose my grandmother (at the age of 97), I didn't get nearly upset enough to throw tantrums. I probably would if anyone I knew died typical DF deaths.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 07:12:44 am »

my grandmother at 95 is happily chatting about who died this year in the knowledge that she might be gone soon too, but she raised 7 kids, has a good number of grandkids, her youngest son just married (really, we thought he was gay), she witnessed one of her daughters recieve a knighthood from the queen, a son taking over the family farm... She's a bit like "my body is giving up, but it was a great life, let's get it over with"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:52 am »

Yeah I think dying of old age should be a bittersweet event for all involved.  Some might decide to extend their lifes through any means possible (you know what that means), but most of the time the sense of a job well done and a life well lived would be stronger.

So while grandma dying of old age won't ever make you happy, necessarily, if she's cool with it it's not something that you would go homicidal over.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 07:40:39 am »

she witnessed one of her daughters recieve a knighthood from the queen

Wait, what?
Pages: 1 [2] 3