Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?  (Read 8517 times)

Myshaak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:07:15 am »

Greetings my fellow dwarf torturers bosses!
I would like to ask you If anyone has experienced weird and unnecessary fun with dwarves dying of old age.

My current fort is only 10 years old and during the first three years (!) two of my dorfs died of old age. Well, it wasn't such a big deal since I put all of the dorf to some slavery work, but now my population is 100 and half of them is slacking around my dining halls, statue gardens and zoos... improving relationships and getting new friends. Everything was fine until SPRING HAS ARRIVED and FOUR of my very popular dorfs died of old age at the same time! I don't mind some fun (I though that one dwarf releasing a caged minotaur as a result was hilarious) but isn't the effect of dying of old age on other dorfs a bit too high? They all get the seriously unhappy "lost a friend to a tragedy" thought, yet from my point of view a 130 year old fart dying of a heart attack is not nearly as tragic as, say, getting beaten to death. With own arm. While on fire. Slowly submerging to magma.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:13:41 am »

I once tweaked the dwarf raws so that they had a maximum age of 2. Every year, half the population of the fort died of old age.

After the annual new year riot, it was a lot of fun trying to tidy everything up in time to attract more migrants. The fort could only survive by making lots of crafts, offering lots of wealth, getting lots of new workers.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:55 am »

I believe that there's a pretty major personality rewrite looming on the horizon. When that comes along, things like this definitely deserve to be looked at.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:20 am »

Are we seriously asking if dwarves should be less upset when their elderly friends die, just because they are elderly?  Because that strikes me as so problematic I don't even know where to begin.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:20:30 am »

Are we seriously asking if dwarves should be less upset when their elderly friends die, just because they are elderly?  Because that strikes me as so problematic I don't even know where to begin.

Yes, people generally are less upset when someone dies of ripe old age as opposed to, say, an industrial accident or murder, or something else untimely or unjust. Not that they shouldn't be upset, but still.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Myshaak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:29:56 am »

Yes, or at least I am. I am not saying that the reason that dorf should be less upset of a friend's death is their age, I'm saying that they should be less upset if they died BECAUSE of their age. When I lost my grandmother and grandfather, both of whom were well over 80, lived a full life and died of old age, I was very sad, but definetely not as sad as when I lost my friend, who was 16 and died while mountaineering. Does it make me a sick, psychopatic person?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:11 am »

yet from my point of view a 130 year old fart dying of a heart attack is not nearly as tragic as, say, getting beaten to death. With own arm. While on fire. Slowly submerging to magma.

I can't think of a more dwarfy way to go than being beaten to death with your own arm, while on fire and slowly submerging in magma.

Except perhaps beating someone else to death with your own arm, while on fire and slowly submerging in magma.

The Vikings thought the only way to get to heaven was to die in battle.
The Spartans didn't give you a tombstone unless you died in battle (or in childbirth, if you were a woman).
Maybe DF dwarves think dying of old age is a shameful way to go.

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:08:46 am »

there are, however, no thoughts associated to "took proud in son/husbands/friends heroic deeds" or something. I fully agree that someone having a heart attack and dying from old age should not cause the same bad thought as someone being dismembered by goblins
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:09:11 am »

"Urist wasn't killed horribly by goblins or their pet cave dragons! THAT MAKES ME SO ANGRY I WANT TO KILL A BABY."

I got to agree though that dying of old age should be less of an impact on the friends of the dead dorf than the dorf being gutted by a goblin swordman because they were picking up a sock, that senile old coot.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:45 am »

YES
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:30:27 am »

Maybe DF dwarves think dying of old age is a shameful way to go.

NO IT IS HERO'S DEATH YOU LIEEEEEE

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:32:04 am »

"How could he let himself die so peacefully! There wasn't even any magma or evil creatures involved! Oh Urist McOld...."

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:44 am »

I once tweaked the dwarf raws so that they had a maximum age of 2. Every year, half the population of the fort died of old age.

After the annual new year riot, it was a lot of fun trying to tidy everything up in time to attract more migrants. The fort could only survive by making lots of crafts, offering lots of wealth, getting lots of new workers.

how far did you push this insanity? 

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:22 am »

i don't really know about the amount of the bad thought, but "lost a friend to tragedy lately" can't be right? maybe it should read "is mourning a friend who died peacefully" or something like that?
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:32:18 am »

Well I suppose if my best friend died because he was 100 years old I wouldn't be as sad as I would have been if he died because he dodged a goat off a cliff. Or something.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.
Pages: [1] 2 3