Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: You are a Lord of the Wastes  (Read 26161 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Lord of the Wastes
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2012, 10:26:42 am »

Open the gate. Orders to divide the fire: 1/4 to the right, 3/4 to the left. Attempt to snipe the Large raider. If insuccesfull have another incendairy rocket launched, this time at the left group.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2012, 12:05:25 pm »

Open the gate. Orders to divide the fire: 1/4 to the right, 3/4 to the left. Attempt to snipe the Large raider. If insuccesfull have another incendairy rocket launched, this time at the left group.

+1

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2012, 03:40:34 pm »

+1
+2
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2012, 08:43:03 am »

With the caravan at the entrance to your town you call for the gates to be opened. You also order you troops to focus their fire on the left group. Another five of your militia arrives, one of them carrying the other launcher and the HE rounds. The Large Raider is obviously a problem and you take careful aim along your laser rifle, going for a head shot. However, he has also noticed you and takes aim with his launcher. You fire first, boring a hole through his skull and flash boiling his brain. In his death spasm he fires the off a final shot. The rocket screams over the gatehouse, missing you by mere feet. Your troops do similarly well, taking down multiple raiders with their lasers. Both launchers continue to fire and there is no reply from the enemy. The caravan, battered but mostly intact, entered Sala-Zione. Seeing this, the raiders lose heart and begin to flee. Their withdrawal is not disordered though and they take the time to grab some of the more impressive weaponry from their fallen comrades.

Although your first instinct is to run up to the caravan and ask them what they have to trade, you accept that there are other things that may be required of a leader in a situation like this before you indulge your love of technological wonders. One of your militia is very much dead and another three have relatively serious injuries. One was knocked off of a watchtower and seems to have broken both his legs. The other two appear to have internal injuries from the impacts of high caliber rounds. There are an assortment of minor injuries as well, including the youngest member of your militia who was kept out of the fight by merit of being pinned to a nearby wall by a piece of shrapnel that went right through his ear and imbedded itself in the wall behind. There is some damage to your troops equipment, but nothing that you won't be able to repair with a little time and some of your advanced parts. More importantly, you stock of rockets has been reduced to two HE and two Incendiary.

There also seems to be quite a bit of panic among the general populous and a small fire has started in one of the building near the gatehouse. The Technocratia caravan is milling around in the trading plaza. Its a good thing those raiders didn't seem to intent on taking the town itself, although you must have killed at least forty of them. If they had been only a little more numerous, determined or heavily armed they might have overwhelmed you perimeter defenses.

What do you do now?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you notice stuff that should be here but isn't, please tell me. Likewise with any suggestions I may have missed. 

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2012, 08:54:44 am »

The orders said that the launchers should only fire, if the attempt to kill the large raider was unsuccesfull, but whatever.

-Get the wounded soldiers to whatever this place uses as a hospital.
-Look up the family of the death soldier Tell them the news.
-Keep guards on the walls, they might be back.
-Send out some guards to see what weaponry they can scavenge.
-Then see to the merchants.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2012, 09:56:10 am »

This might be a fair time to inquire as to the level of our medical technology.

+1 to ebbor

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2012, 10:06:15 am »

+1 to ebbor
+1

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2012, 10:07:35 am »

+1 to ebbor
+1
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2012, 08:32:22 am »

Even though the threat has passed, you tell your soldiers to remain on the walls. After all, the raiders could come back. You order the injured troops to be taken to the main building and cared for. Some of your local healers will soon be attending to them. While they can't regrow severed limbs or restore lost youth like the healers of ancient days they do have some of the more practical and everyday knowledge of the Old People. They know of the importance of cleanliness and the risks of infection. They can set broken bones and stitch closed cuts, but beyond that their skill is hampered by a lack of knowledge and advanced equipment.

Despite your successful defense against the raiders you are angry. Not only have you lost loyal defenders of Sala-Zione but your store of precious, precious rockets has been depleted. If it hadn't been for your launchers might not have been able to drive the raiders away and you worry that 4 rockets remaining is not really enough. You decide to give your militia a stern talking to after everything has calmed down about preserving vital resources. You also decide to send 5 militia out the main gate to see if anything useable can be scavenged from the battlefield.

You decide that the only proper thing for a leader to do after the death of one of his followers is to tell the family yourself. Luchano de Meridi, the soldier who was killed, was a loyal veteran. He was with you when you cast down the false Overseer Jorgal and you feel his loss keenly. You arrive outside the family home and are greeted by Sophia de Meridi, matriarch of the de Meridi family. She has already heard the bad news but she appreciates that you've taken the time to come and offer your condolences. Luchano was her eldest son and the family is stricken by grief. As if the loss of a family member wasn't bad enough, the destruction of his equipment means that the social standing of the de Meridis will go down because although they have other family members of an appropriate age who would normally come forward to fill the position, they can no longer equip them. Hard times may be ahead for the de Meridis.

Having dealt with these unpleasant duties you finally decide to go and see the Technocratia merchants. They have parked their vehicles in the trading plaza and seem to be somewhat agitated. As you approach you notice that several of them have minor injuries and that their vehicles all look pretty beaten up. You notice the large gash in one of the tankers. Their leader approaches you. He is a man in his late fifties or early sixties who's body is supported by a delicate Alloy exoskeleton. He has a lot to say for himself. He offers formal greetings on behalf of the House of Technocratia, mightiest power of Rome. He denies any responsibility for the attack, claiming that any house as mighty as his naturally has enemies. He apologizes profusely for any harm that may have befallen your people and thanks you for your assistance. You get the impression that he's more than a little flustered by the recent turn of events. He seems to find his equilibrium when he gets to what trade goods he has brought.

He shows you two large piles of good being unloaded form the heavy hauler. He explains that the first pile is representative of the types and amounts of goods House of Technocratia would be willing to trade once a month for 100,000 L of pure, desalinated water once this becomes a regular organized arrangement. There is a small pile of Alloys sheets, perhaps the size of a small table. There are a six Kalash rifles and a crate with 5000 rounds. There is a medium sized crate paced with circuit boards and other electrical parts, all of which seem to be in good repair. There are a dozen barrels of preserved fruit. Finally, there is a small crate filled with assorted medicines, mostly anesthetics and antibiotics.   

He points to the second pile and explains that these are gifts of good faith to cement the agreement. They are representative of the most valuable types of goods that the House of Technocratia provides. He explains that further trade caravans may bring such items again, but only by special arrangement. You look over the goods and your heart is filled with greed. There are three large caliber linear accelerator rifles, each with 300 6mm nickel cored Alloy tipped rounds. There is an efficient looking computer unit. There are two dozen power packs that look compatible with your laser rifles. There is a small crate filled with advanced parts. There is an advanced looking pressurized container holding what looks to be about 5kg of HE-3. Lastly and most impressively there is an armored exosuit. The clean lines and perfect articulation of the Alloy speaks of the craftsmanship of the Ancients and the gold and platinum scrollwork speaks of the most skilled of modern hands.

Essentially, the merchant wants a confirmation of the trade agreement, 100,000 L of water each month for roughly the types and amount of goods on offer in the first pile. To sweeten the deal he offers the second pile of goods and an understanding that similarly advanced items may be ordered in the future, but would likely be very expensive. He would also probably like some help fixing up his vehicles.

What do you do now?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you notice stuff that should be here but isn't, please tell me. Likewise with any suggestions I may have missed.                     
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:33:57 am by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2012, 08:52:00 am »

Find some way to take the next de Meridi son into our employ. Don't want too have the social structure too shaken up.

The trade sounds very fair to me.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2012, 09:12:26 am »

Find some way to take the next de Meridi son into our employ. Don't want too have the social structure too shaken up.

The trade sounds very fair to me.
This. Also give a set of the new equipment we get from the deal to the de Meridi famiy and recruit their next eldest son, or daughter I guess.

Also ask the representative if the family has a stable source of helium-3, and if they do try to negotiate a deal a deal whereby they supply us with H-3 and we send over more desalinated water. Make sure the ratio is something like 2/3 of the H-3 they send us will go to power the plant and the other 1/3 we get to use for other things.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:36 am »

Technocratia appear to be in desperate need of us for water, which will further boost their power standing in Rome. As much as I like the sound of this trade, it would be wise to get on with the Roman politics and find out more. Their talk of their power and their gifts seem more of an desperate attempt to boost themsleves rather than an overture by a powerful faction.
Maybe our deal will shift power balance and then Technokratia may bully us for water once they gain supreme power in the city.

Goodies crate is interesting, but what they offer in regular shipments for such amount of water is... bit small in my opinion. Agree for now, but send one or 2 people with the caravan back to Rome, to get proper info on politcics there. Maybe we can use water as a bargaining chip to keep Technocratia in check.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

The trade seems fair to me. Try to get some of the Tinkerers to fix up their caravan.

1. I don't think we should divide the equipment just yet. I would prefer if the more advanced (new) equipment ended up with the more experienced soldiers, and not the newbies. We can however piece togheter armor and weaponry from the spare parts.

2. Ask the traders about the He-3 and also about supplying rockets. Try to negotiate a reliable supply accord.  According to the first site I found 25 tonnes He3 could supply the US for a year. US Power production is +- 4000Twh which means that the Yearly prodcution is 34176000 Tw. 34176000*0.0002= 6835 TW of energy. Which is quite a lot. Now I have no idea wherether or not this makes sense or is right so...

Technocratia appear to be in desperate need of us for water, which will further boost their power standing in Rome. As much as I like the sound of this trade, it would be wise to get on with the Roman politics and find out more. Their talk of their power and their gifts seem more of an desperate attempt to boost themsleves rather than an overture by a powerful faction.
Maybe our deal will shift power balance and then Technokratia may bully us for water once they gain supreme power in the city.

Goodies crate is interesting, but what they offer in regular shipments for such amount of water is... bit small in my opinion. Agree for now, but send one or 2 people with the caravan back to Rome, to get proper info on politcics there. Maybe we can use water as a bargaining chip to keep Technocratia in check.
Maybe do that.  As far as I know the filtration plants aren't exactly rare, but not many will have survived the wars and other events, and droughts are common here.

4.I quite like the computer. Seems like something we could run a solar mirror coordinations system on. I think that maybe decides it.

5. The agreement would mean we'd need to run the filtration plant at 10%(8% power plant use) at all times, town and other merchants supply not included.

6. There's no six.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23:33 am »

Ok, based on 10ebbor10's numbers I'm going to rule that the fusion plant holds a maximum of 500kgs of He-3 and that one of the main selling points behind commercial fusion reactors was that you could go a long time between refueling. Which means it currently holds about....167kg. If you do send spies/emissaries to Rome (I wondered when you would get around to this) you might want to plan a little who you send and their cover story. 

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2012, 11:11:25 am »

Well, lets establish an embasssy/trade line with Rome. Make it official. Our main import/priority should be reactor fuel. Rest of materials can be obtained in exchange for goods that we can make ourselves and pure water.

If we are to keep Rome in check, we should strive to interfe and interact with them as much as possible. A permament reprsentative on our behalf would provide water shipments in exchange for fuel and resources. Roman factions should be on verge of civil war all the time just to be considered our favourite trading partner.  We should make them dependanot on our water. We would be protected from outside threats and from Romans thmselves who would keep each other in check.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14