Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: You are a Lord of the Wastes  (Read 26116 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
You are a Lord of the Wastes
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:50:05 pm »

So, I've been enjoying a certain feudal based lordship game recently. I've also just qualified to be an English language teacher. Over the last month, I've had to write a crazy amount and now that I'm finished I've got itchy fingers, dammit. There seems to be only one obvious solution. A suggestion game shamelessly ripped off of Evil Maharaja where you are lord of a postapocalyptic settlement. This combines two ideas pleasing to me, being the absolute ruler of a settlement and a world filled with the ruins of past civilizations cast down by their own hubris. Mmmmm, postapocalypticness, you know I love you.     

So what now I hear you asking? Well, I'm going to try to keep everything open to suggestions as possible, meaning you can suggest stuff to flesh out the local area, minor characters, ancient history and myths etc as well as your character's actions. As long as most people agree to something it'll be ok. That said, here are some things I'm gonna lay down the law on:

1.The setting will be fairly realistic in every way except those that kill enjoyment. Radiation sickness, genetic plagues released by disturbing the metal tombs of the Makers, crop rotation and crazed/uncrazed AIs yes. Dragons and unicorns appearing from nowhere and OP shenanigans no (unless the dragons and unicorns are in fact cunningly disguised robots designed to traumatize soldiers in WW3 that somehow, likely due to a shipping error, never got used and remained in storage only to be awakened hundreds of years latter by a tribal shaman tripping on shrooms and looking for his/her gods).

2. The only limit on location is that it must be somewhere in Europe. Why? Cos postapoc-America has been done to death and I've been looking at it in google maps and it sorta looks ok. So there.

3. All this will be taking place an undefined amount of time after the ?pocalypse has destroyed Civilization as we know it, min 300 years max 1000.

4. You don't live in a empty world. Things will be going on in the world in general.   

So, what do you need to tell me, oh noble fellow bay12vians?

Who are you and why do you rule?What are your strengths and weakness's? I don't have to explain this one too much.

Whats your settlement like? What makes it special, if anything? Are there any disadvantages?

Whats going on in the area around your settlement? Are there any nearby powers/dangerspots/resources etc?

What level of technological advancement was the world destroyed at? Note: If you want robots, monsters created by genetic manipulation and flying tanks, they had better have been invented before the apocalypse. Basically, I'll accept anything from the world was destroyed immediately after this post to reasonably cheap fusion, gene manipulation, Asteroid Belt, Lunar and Mars Colonies, AIs and lasers etc. Just bare in mind the stuff I said about whats what. *serious face* 

How did the world end? Obviously, this'll take into account the when  bit from above. You know you've all probably spent as much time hypothesizing about different ways the world could end as... um I dunno, analogy failure. I'd bet money it was a lot though.

Oh, one last thing, this is my first suggestion game. Lets do this!

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Lord of the Wastes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »

For an analogy, how about as long as I've been studying to be an English teacher (this is from your point of view).
I think the world should have had gene manipulation, lasers, AIs, and fusion. Here's what I think the time line should be.

Spoiler'ed story to save room, as requested.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wow, that toke on a life of its own after a while, didn't mean for it to be nearly so long. This should take place 300 years after this happened.

"Who are you and why do you rule?What are your strengths and weakness's? I don't have to explain this one too much."
(I can never fill out these character things, someone else will have to do this)
"Whats your settlement like? What makes it special, if anything? Are there any disadvantages?"
Our settlement is a small town, around 1000 people, eking out a living in the country side of Italy. We have a beautiful coast next to our town, most of the population is immune to the biological plague that still sweeps the planet, and occasionally ravages towns around us.  (Can’t think of any more things)
"Whats going on in the area around your settlement? Are there any nearby powers/dangerspots/resources etc?"
Our town is located just east of Rome, which housed one of the best AIs for the European Federation. There are powerful gangs of people in Rome, who will attack towns in the countryside, like ours, once in a blue moon. (Can’t think of any more things)

"What level of technological advancement was the world destroyed at? Note: If you want robots, monsters created by genetic manipulation and flying tanks, they had better have been invented before the apocalypse. Basically, I'll accept anything from the world was destroyed immediately after this post to reasonably cheap fusion, gene manipulation, Asteroid Belt, Lunar and Mars Colonies, AIs and lasers etc. Just bare in mind the stuff I said about whats what. *serious face* 

How did the world end? Obviously, this'll take into account the when  bit from above. You know you've all probably spent as much time hypothesizing about different ways the world could end as... um I dunno, analogy failure. I'd bet money it was a lot though."

That was the wall of text above. If you want a tl;dr read the last 10 years and what tech we have in the first sentence.

Someone will have to help fill out the character info, I spent all my creative resources on the background.

I spent way tooo long on this. Need to go play some fall out and recover from so much concious thinking.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:16:11 am by Mr. Palau »
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:27 am »

Fantastic Mr.Palau! Your timeline and tech levels are now cannon! So we have our background, now all we need is our character. I like your location suggestion, but I'll still leave it open for discussion for a bit.

Just to be clear for everyone, you are suggesting a small coastal town east of the ruins of Rome (lol, not the first time it'll have been destroyed in a civilization collapse, no wonder its still full of gangs of survivors. They've had the historical practice) in what was once Italy, with a population with an inherited immunity to genetic plagues that still ravage the area. Obviously, if people are all +1 to it then we can proceed. Once we have all the details, I'll edit the first post and all that (might ask you to turn your post into a background post, seeing as you did all the hard work, though I'll copypasta + spoiler if necessary).

So, things for people to tell me:

1. The character. I'll throw out a few ideas just in case people are really wracking their brains. A gunslinger, wielding the elegant weapons of a more civilized age: a pair of 4mm caseless LA* pistols. A postapocalyptic knight, clad in a beautiful suit of plate made from ancient alloys hand cast over a industrial rigger exosuit frame. A technology obsessed pseudoarcheologist desperate to reclaim the powers of the past. Remember, I need to know why you are in charge, how you got there and some strengths and weaknesses.

2. The settlement. Do you want to go with Mr.Palau's suggestion (if yes, I need a little more detail, i.e. what are your defenses like? How do you survive etc?). If people have other ideas, post and apply democracy.     

* Linear accelerator.

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:50:27 am »

1. Character: No idea

2. Settlement and defenses:

In order to prevent global warming and other industrial processes, geoengineering has been used on large scale for the last 40 years. Thightly controlled by AI's this technology is safe and has kept all possible effects of the industrialization under control. Sadly the disruption between atmospherical carbondioxide content and the planets temperature caused droughts. Luckly mankind is quite capable to cancel these out, so everywhere along the coast large thermoionic desalination plants were build. After the European plague, where terrorists dispensed a deadly virus via the water, these filtration plants have had their security tremendously upgraded.

Our settlement is one of the minor plants, with minimal security. After all, it only supplies the lower classes, and therefore isn't a priority. Defenses include a 2 meter wall (disrepair) and 4 watchtowers. A small guard 30 men (Laser weaponry and 2 rocket launchers) protects these. The entirety of the town is build around the filtration plant, a large concrete building with it's own build in fusion plant. The settlement mostly depends on trade, though has some farmlands within the walls as well.

The settlement is defended from the sea by the HMS Olympia, which sunk in front of the coast during the war and is still blocking the entrance to the alcove. Several of it's defenses are still onlive, so diving near is not a good idea.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:12 am »

Nice stuff 10ebbor10! I assume that you are including Mr.Palau's stuff (i.e. about a thousand people, near the ruins of Rome, inherited immunity to gene plagues etc. The immunity actually makes more sense now, our pop has clearly descended from those who survived a virus attack). Now just waiting for character suggestions / other stuff you may want to suggest.   

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:09:26 am »

Nice stuff 10ebbor10! I assume that you are including Mr.Palau's stuff (i.e. about a thousand people, near the ruins of Rome, inherited immunity to gene plagues etc. The immunity actually makes more sense now, our pop has clearly descended from those who survived a virus attack). Now just waiting for character suggestions / other stuff you may want to suggest.   
Yup, It's supposed to fit in with the other suggestion.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 11:46:38 am »

I like 10ebbor10's (I always read that as just 10ebbor for some reason) suggestions. The geo engineering explains why the world didn't have any problems with global warming. The location suggestion is my favorite, it adds a lot more depth to the area.

About the character how about a slightly more elaborate version of the crazed pseudo-archeologist. So when our character was young he discovered a store of Golden-Age holodiscs* containing a history of the modern world. He became enamored with the descriptions and images of the fantastic technologies held within the discs. Driven by his newfound passion he searched for any knowledge about Golden-Age technology. Sadly he was only able to find and salvage a hovercycle, but he has a great knowledge of science and machinery, having self-educated himself in the hopes of finding and repairing more Golden-Age technology. After he repaired the filtration plant for the town, he became widely respected. He led a revolt against the last leader, whose reign had only brought increased misery to the people through excessive taxation and oppression. Riding ahead of the main force, atop his shining hovercycle, he lead the charge on the leader's building. After killing the leader and his followers, we have set the building up as our own base of operations, which is located conveintly in the center of town.

*What should we call things from before the apocalypse? Pre-apocalypse is too long and pre-plague doesn't sound nice. Pre-war sounds good but our apocalypse wasn’t driven by a war. Golden-Age is current term, suggested by 10ebbor10.
*hey if they had personal laser technology their ability to manipulate light must have been good enough to invent practical holodiscs.

This is all I could come up with. For a name, I was thinking Frankie Cino. I don't really care about the name so if anyone thinks of a better one, please post it.

*incorpereated a hovercycle into the background story.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:44:52 pm by Mr. Palau »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »

Geo engineering also allows for another end of the world when it breaks down on a large scale.
What about Golden-Age tech?

As for our character, I think he should have some form of transportation. Explains how he moved around that much. (Hovercycle FTW)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

What exactly do you mean by that?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »

As name for prewar artefacts.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »

As name for prewar artefacts.
Good idea, sounds better than anything else.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 12:55:56 pm »

+1 to all of this, sounds fantastic. No time to post anything good right now, but I'm definitely in on this one.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 07:04:34 pm »

Ok, I'm really tempted to post the first turn, I've got almost everything I need and most of it already worked out. Pseudo Archeologist is a go. I just need a name and any staring equipment other than the hoverbike (I'm thinking something that looks a bit like a fusion powered hover trike that floats on an air cushion like a 2090's hovecercraft, almost as maneuverable as a bike but with a little bit more storage space and with a canopy that can be pulled down in inclement weather. Basically, something that would allow our as yet unnamed protagonist to have moved about a fair bit in his formative years while still carrying supplies and any interesting stuff he might have found). Also, some strengths and weakness's. Obviously a love of all things ancient and technological is already there,  but I need to now a bit more about their personalty and then we can finally get this show on the road.

As to naming conventions for stuff, I'll take the term Golden Age or, for a slightly more highbrow reference, the Age of Gold for the period before the collapse. Basically, there's what the peasant-analogues and other ignorant folk would refer to it as (of which Golden age or similar stuff like "The Time of the Makers" is all acceptable) and then there's all the different terms that someone like your character would use. Generally, any time I use something like "The Makers", "The Builders" or "The Old People", this is how local ignorant people would refer to things. Your character would use terms like "U.S.A", "Sony", "United States of Europe" and "H&K" but would be hard pressed to tell you whether these were nations, places or people. That is until you find acquire an accurate historical archive or a helpful AI. Also, your character will have a real shotgun scatter of knowledge of the past and its technology, much like someone's ability to speak a foreign language if they had only studied it with a dictionary and grammar book but never met a native speaker. Of course, you will likely improve on this as the game progresses.               

So, gimmie a name, personality and any other equipment and we'll be off. NOTE: I just got back from a party and should be up for the next couple of hours, otherwise the first turn'll be up tomorrow (presuming that posts are posted and so on). 

@Mr.Palau, thanks for the story spoilering, saves me time and effort which will always make me happy :).

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »

Lets name him Alcide Brunelleschi, it sounds very Italian. When it comes to a personality, how about him having a strong intellect, short temper, and good social skills. That might be a tade shallow. Oh he can also be egomanicial, all good rulers are egomanicial. Self obssesed and charismatic. His personal equipment consists of what was once basic armarment for the USE* Army, passed down through generations in his family. It is well worn but functional, and consists of a laser rifle, combat armor complete with a helmet (protecting the torso, head, arms, and legs, and able to take 2-3 shoots), and equipment for maintaining the laser rifle and armor.

*Maybe it should just be United Europe instead of United States of Europe to avoid confusion, aswell as sound better?

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »

So be it!

You are Alcide Brunelleschi, lord of Sala-Zione Termionia. You rule from the Old Alloy throne and with your every waking thought you strive to bring your people some fraction of the power and glory of the days of old. Your laser rifle and family armor are always close at hand and while these things are as familiar to you as a lover's skin you are no petty dictator, a Mao or Blair risen up out of the past. The knowledge of the ancient times is with you, after many years of endless searching. This gives you power over men and machines, but things were not always thus.

In your grandfather's day things were good in Sala-Zione. The Termionia, the hundred families of the two circles by the sea, were happy. It's true that times were hard, with raiders and zoanthropes loose about the countryside, the never-ending worry of an army marching from Rome and darker things that came betimes from the sea. But the people were happy and traders, wanderers and peaceable monsters were welcome. Then rose the Overseer Malfis the Good-Hearted. His reign was cruel. He banked the artificial sunfire at the heart of Sala-Zione and brought great suffering to the people. The water bribe to Rome increased to thirteen parts per hundred and the people were set to gathering sticks to burn in winter like beasts.

In your father's day things were worse. Overseer Jorgal di Ferro was the opposite of his father. He ruled from the Control Room, as if he was an Engineer but not of the people. In his greed he used his art to undo the works of his father. During his reign the numbers counted Most High on the Great Screen were at 34 and the people were filled with fear. During his reign more water was made than fell from the sky in one hundred years and with this wealth came hard bitten mercenaries and a new kind of fear. During his reign you were born. At least the water bribe was no longer being paid.

Your early life,... well, there wasn't really much nice to say about that, really, nor much that you care to dwell on. With Jorgal's suspicions quick to turn on almost anyone and his men ready to cast them into the intake at a moment's notice or deal out a savage beating to those who looked like they might disagree, you didn't have really any close family left by the age of seven. You lived hard in those times, begging food and stealing to survive, along with a growing number of similar youths. The best you can say about it is at least you were never raped. That's something isn't it?

Your life may have been very different and, more specifically, much much shorter if not for a number of factors. When you were young you might have said that a desire for revenge was the most important of these, the burning coal that kept you alive in the depths of winter. But ever since you cast Jorgal down and threw his broken body into the ocean you have had a niggling suspicion that it was more a combination of your wits and a huge stroke of luck. But the tale of your failed assassination attempts and subsequent flight on the town's only scouting vehicle, years wandering in the wastes and subsequent triumphant return are common knowledge. It was over three years ago now and all of a sudden avenging the deaths of your parents and learning the knowledge of the ancients seem like petty struggles compared to the day to day task of running a town of almost a thousand people without resorting to a force of large men with hefty sticks.

You cease your meditations on the past and look to your duties. It is a fine spring morning. You look out over the balcony of the Control Tower over Sala-Zione. The settlement is thriving. Well, sort of. A caravan composed of three smoke belching steampowered tracked haulers and a dozen riders on horned destriers is currently unloading its goods in the central square and your merchants are already eying up them up. The great outer wall, made of pored stone and Old Alloy rods, is split in places and has been crudely refiled with local cut stone. A stopgap measure that has lasted to long, perhaps.

More worryingly, your arsenal is depleted. Your dedicated militia comprises of yourself and 31 others, all equipped with laser rifles and Composite armor. Their wargear bears words in the High Speech "USOE_H&K SBIL 23" and "Federation of Europe Armed Forces". You know these words and you know that the Federation of Europe and the USOE were to parts of the same great state. You wish you knew where you could get more rockets for your two launchers. You have only nine remaining, four HE and five Incendiary.

Worst of all, there is a "diplomat" from Rome waiting to see you.

What do you do?               
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14