Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Roll to City State! - The Raid  (Read 7535 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Roll to City State! - The Raid
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:12 am »

Okay, my first RTD, so please, forgive me for any blunders, and feel free to offer constructive criticism.  God knows I'll need it. 

So here's the set up.  I will have four players, each one managing their own city state, similar to Athens, Sparta, Troy, etc.  Each of you will share a continent, and either help, or duke it out with each other.  Maybe at the same time. 

The sign up sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules:

Resources - There are approx. 7 resources, cattle, coal, fish, gold, iron, lumber and wheat.  I may add more in the future.  The food resources, each city needs at least one type of food resource, or the city will starve within 3 turns.  So for those without a natural source of food, raid or trade. 

Each resource lasts for approx. ten turns.  Gold is limited, but things like food and lumber can be replenished by using one action. Coal can be made using lumber ( which can be replenished ) and the amount of iron a city replenishes is determined by the RNG.

Once you get above 100 traders, you get a random resource, which lasts for  five turns

Population - Yeah, your people.  The "Happy" and "Healthy" show how well off your people are.  Gold, as well as some structures, can increase happiness, so your people don't revolt.  Your people can starve without a food resource, or can get sick on a whim from the Random Number God.  Building a few structures will help negate that.

Warriors - Yep, the military side of this foolish game.  This continent has no horses, so it's footmen for everybody!  Might introduce cavalry ( and ships ) later, but for now, all you can get is a footman.  Later, there will be archers, spearmen, probably.  Those with Iron resource get a +1 advantage to battles. 

Military units

Structures - A list of structures you can build:

Tier 2 Buildings:

Each turn will take 1 year, and you can perform 4 actions.  Make sure to Bold them.  You can trade, declare war, perform covert actions, and just engage in general diplomacy with your fellow players.  Whether by PM or in the thread.  When two players agree to something, I must get confirmation ( probably by PM ) from both sides.

Any questions, just ask.  I hope the game system isn't too flawed, and ALWAYS feel free to offer criticism. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:06:01 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't you hear the beating?
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
Re: Roll to City State!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:03:19 am »

Name: Lord Dexo

City State Name: Karatungard

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

If you enjoy my work, please view my website and also consider clicking the Patreon button! You might even be interested enough to pay me a little so I can keep living!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:12:10 pm »

Name: Doge Satto Satto

City State: Merchant Republic of Illuria
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:32:33 pm »

I've been contemplating how a more strategic RTD might play out, so I'm quite interested in this.

Name: Nomar Jalstren, First Fist of Timtalam

City State: Timtalam
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:29:26 pm by monk12 »

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:57:30 pm »

I'm up for it...

Name: Lord General Pathor

City State Name: Alicus
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:50 pm »

Name: Most Honorable Chairman Kim Jong Un

City State Name: The People's Great National Democratic Republic of Korea
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:02:30 pm »

Seems I've missed it...Waitlist!

Name: Arbite Farvas of Walestria

City State Name: The Shrine City of Walestria
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:07:26 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:52:35 pm »

If I missed a slot, I will go on wait.

Name: Captain Age

City State Name: The Floating Boat City of Atlantis
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:55 am »

In the Unknown Continent, four nomad kings decided that enough was enough.  No more of that tribal crud, they mused, and so they decided to go sedentary.

Lord Dexo:

Doge Satto Satto

Nomar Jalstren, First Fist of Timtalam

Lord General Pathor

Most Honorable Chairman Kim Jong Un

I will post rules and what you can do in the original post. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:39:54 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 05:06:52 am »

Edited the original post. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:50 am »

YEAR 1:

Lord Dexo saw that his people needed food. They might be rich in ore and gold, but without food even the mightiest hand will break! He decided post haste to get in contact with the Merchant Republic of Illuria, which he knows owns rich fields of cattle, grazing with grace.

He sends a messenger with the following scripture:

"Doge Satto Satto!
I, Lord Dexo am willing to part with Gold or Iron for the honor of attaining some cattle! I want not my people to starve! Please reply with great haste!
~Lord Dexo."

He then awaits his answer.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

If you enjoy my work, please view my website and also consider clicking the Patreon button! You might even be interested enough to pay me a little so I can keep living!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:30 am »

Whew, thought this was dead.

Diplomacy does not count as an action.  An actual trade of resources, however, is.  Resources are, for now, infinite, until I can find a numerically feasible system which doesn't give me a headache.  See, this is why I need all the constructive criticism I can get. 

This is very much a work in progress.  Any suggestions will be noted, and the best one I find will probably be used, regarding game mechanics.  Any more questions, Dex? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:44:24 am »

Yes, one: If we decide to only do one thing in a year, can be proceed to use the other three actions to hurry said one thing along?

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:50:46 am »

...No.  Besides, one turn equals one year so, I don't see how you can make it go faster. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 11:28:48 am »

GM, what does Lumber/Coal do?
It would probably be a good idea to have limited ressources. Unlimited ressources provide nothing to fight over, but if the ressources are limited, conflicts will arise naturally. How about, say, everyone has three instances of their ressources, except for gold, where it's two instances (as it stands, gold is really common, which makes it rather worthless, paradoxically). Then you can trade one of your three fishies for one of their three lumbers or whatever, and then you have two fishies one lumber whereas your enemy has one fishy two lumbers. Having even one instance should give you full benefits of the ressource, probably.

YEAR 1:

Lord Dexo saw that his people needed food. They might be rich in ore and gold, but without food even the mightiest hand will break! He decided post haste to get in contact with the Merchant Republic of Illuria, which he knows owns rich fields of cattle, grazing with grace.

He sends a messenger with the following scripture:

"Doge Satto Satto!
I, Lord Dexo am willing to part with Gold or Iron for the honor of attaining some cattle! I want not my people to starve! Please reply with great haste!
~Lord Dexo."

He then awaits his answer.

((Are you a mindreader or something? I was about to ask for the same trade!))

Having consulted the scripture, Doge Satto Satto concludes that the offer is advantageous for his city. Iron appeared to be at a premium in these lands, so getting access to the only source of it surely had to be a great advantage. In agreement with the Merchant Council (a.k.a. Marionette Council), he instructed the messenger to take the following scripture back to the city of Katarungard:

"Your offer was consulted and deemed acceptable. In the hope of friendship, I, Doge Satto Satto, agree to your proposal of trading our Cattle for your Iron. May both sides benefit from this.
Signed, Doge of Illuria, Satto Satto."

Next up... food also was, apparently, a problem, sources said. Illuria was capable of supporting Cattle, but many other cities did not have sufficient amounts of food - except for one, which was practically swimming in it. The city of Alicus, which produced Fish and Wheat. However, their production was easily large enough to feed the entire continent... surely, their position was advantageous. They could get whatever they wanted.

Also, getting things accomplished. Satto Satto didn't like war. It cost too much. But, on the other hand...

Order a Shady Tavern to be constructed.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5