Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Laugh at my pain  (Read 4488 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Laugh at my pain
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:43 pm »

From the slapstick department: "Dwarf, where's my wagon?"  :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 02:34:38 pm »

When I do "bronze" embarks, I don't take picks or axes. By his description the wagon drowned, so he doesn't have any wood to make carpenter's workshop, training axe, and barrels. He can get food from gathering plants, but not much else, not even drink. He can't trade, because ha can't build a depot. That embark is well and truly screwed. Recommendation: Abandon and reclaim.

He still has one option:
Train every trainable animal into a war one, gather plants kill animals to survive and wait for a goblin with an axe. Should he survive the goblin attack and get the axe he can start making wooden palisades, trade depot and so on.
Its a very very long shot, but not completely impossible.
But yeah abandoning and reclaiming is the much easier option.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:27 pm »

It's good practice to pause the game on embark, and look around, checking the local wildlife, distinguishing features, and looking at the possible Fun zones.

(k) + (shift/ctrl 5) = Easy way to spot frozen pools and rivers in cold biomes. I once found out I had accidentally built my fortress inside a frozen river...

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »

When I do "bronze" embarks, I don't take picks or axes. By his description the wagon drowned, so he doesn't have any wood to make carpenter's workshop, training axe, and barrels. He can get food from gathering plants, but not much else, not even drink. He can't trade, because ha can't build a depot. That embark is well and truly screwed. Recommendation: Abandon and reclaim.

He still has one option:
Train every trainable animal into a war one, gather plants kill animals to survive and wait for a goblin with an axe. Should he survive the goblin attack and get the axe he can start making wooden palisades, trade depot and so on.

That actually sounds like a fun challenge, especially with a 'random' embark location.. " after years of scavenging the surface just to survive, the mighty dwarfs finally break ground and find ... no metals what-so-ever. "  =P  I must try it some time.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »

He still has one option:

Building the Kennel out of what, might I ask?
 :P
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 06:34:56 pm »

He still has one option:

Building the Kennel out of what, might I ask?
 :P
Out of nothing. Kennels are now only to train and catch vermin. Animal training is now done in a designated animal training zone and choosing the type of training you want to give the animal in the stocks menu.

At least thats how I do it now.

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 08:17:17 pm »

isn't it possible to gather clay as building material perhaps? i think it works on slopes but i've never done it and of course it would require you to have clay^^

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »

The job has to be assigned from a kiln.

Migrants may bring axes or picks, and you're guaranteed one wave.

You may be able to find a way to kill or trap the first caravan. Don't do it directly or you'll get a loyalty cascade.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 09:44:21 pm »

Thing is without building materials, he can't even trade, much less trap or kill a caravan, they'll just sit at map edge until they leave. Also if the biome freezes in winter, I expect it'll never get hot enough to evaporate the pool.

You're also very unlikely to get goblins anytime soon with no quick way to build up fortress wealth, but I guess it could happen eventually, killing them would be difficult though..

Only hope is to subsist on gathered plants and water until migrants come (you're guaranteed a wave or two even with no wealth), and hope one has a pick or axe. Personally I'd just start over, 'cause waiting for migrants and hoping one has a lucky item isn't fun or even much of a challenge, just boring and random.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:50:53 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 06:05:24 am »

The problem with living on gathered plants and water is that the water has frozen and there is no way to drink it. There is also no way to make booze.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 06:10:14 am »

This is why I "splurge" on a pickaxe.

Also I rarely have these kind of misadventures. Am I doing it wrong?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 08:26:22 am »

I embarked on a junction between two major rivers once. Everything was frozen on embark, but there were only a handful of squares of dry land in a corner of my map, and these had an aquifer 1 z level beneath them. My plan to mine out the ice to build walls to hold back the river were slightly too slow, summer came, everyone died.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35:33 am »

oh, without picks and axes it's getting interesting. Survive on plants until the caravan comes. Then, attack the guards with a suicide dwarf to start a loyalty cascade. After the caravan dies, use its supplies to live and prosper. Might be that loyalty cascade leaves you with only one dwarf, then you should wait for the next migrant wave to come and then make him commit suicide before he starts another loyalty cascade.
Pages: 1 [2]