Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Laugh at my pain  (Read 4489 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Laugh at my pain
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:10:11 am »

I just embarked, and everything is covered in snow.  So I start building and spring comes everything melts.

Now all my supplies are at the bottom of a murky pool.  Turns out my wagon was parked on top of a frozen pond.  Woops.
Re: Laugh at my pain
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:48:51 am »

That is why Toady invented Stockpiles ;)

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:05:26 am »

Aaaaand next time: at first -> check where your wagon is parked.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:11:54 am »

Did you abandon the fort, or can you still keep going? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:20 am »

You can dig it out next winter, at least. In the meantime, dig yourself a fort and subsist on surface farming.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:01 am »

How do you do surface farming again?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:55 am »

How do you do surface farming again?

D->P first of all to gather plants. If untrained, it may take a good deal of shrubbery to gather enough. Then brew for your starter seeds. Then build a farm plot on surface grass, shrubs, stones, boulders, trees block the plot. You can remove shrubs and saplings I think by building a dirt road before the farm plot. Then, as long as your plot is in the same biome you got your plants from, you should be all set.

You can start your fort on plant gathering only, as well. It is easy and effective.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:50 am »

I just embarked, and everything is covered in snow.  So I start building and spring comes everything melts.

Now all my supplies are at the bottom of a murky pool.  Turns out my wagon was parked on top of a frozen pond.  Woops.

Well done, draining a murky pool is possibly one of the easiest things to do in DF. Now if it had plunged into a lake or the ocean, or a volcano that would have been hilarious. As it stands, you've got a mild inconvenience.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:11 am »

yeah, just drain the pool, or widen it and allow the water to evaporate.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:07:54 am »

Well I hope your picks were in the wagon, too, or it can't even be called an inconvenience.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 10:51:46 am »

Aw, come on, the guy seems like he's new to DF. He only registered in March. Things like that really CAN be a major pain when you don't know all the tricks.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:30 am »

Still, the learning curve is designed so that these things are the basis for your knowledge. Next time he will look out for it and maybe avoid it entirely.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »

I embarked with an anvil and casserite and malachite, to make bronze picks.  So... no, no picks.

If only I could have constructed a dredge line out of rope reed and feather wood.  Maybe I could have fished my anvil out.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:05:13 pm »

no picks, how about axes?  Looks like you might have a surface fort until the trader gets there.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20:31 pm »

When I do "bronze" embarks, I don't take picks or axes. By his description the wagon drowned, so he doesn't have any wood to make carpenter's workshop, training axe, and barrels. He can get food from gathering plants, but not much else, not even drink. He can't trade, because ha can't build a depot. That embark is well and truly screwed. Recommendation: Abandon and reclaim.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: [1] 2