Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92712 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #660 on: June 20, 2016, 05:26:24 pm »

After quite a long while, Gavan Woolery reached a point where he couldn't continue full-time work on Voxel Quest. So he's going to refund everything and make what he's done so far open source.

http://www.voxelquest.com/news/another-update
What a swell guy that Gavan

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 21, 2016, 01:12:05 am »

After quite a long while, Gavan Woolery reached a point where he couldn't continue full-time work on Voxel Quest. So he's going to refund everything and make what he's done so far open source.

http://www.voxelquest.com/news/another-update

And my surprise is 0 given the original kickstarter :P

But good on him for doing a refund!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 21, 2016, 09:13:44 am »

I can't get refunded because I used a prepaid card back when I backed it, but TBH I don't mind, just seeing the work he did was worth it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 09, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »

Time to revive this thread with a little gem I found.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/khaoskreator/the-minority-monsters-book

The campaign ended (I only just found it), but you can read the 23 existent pages on their website http://www.discordcomics.com/minoritymonsters/

They're pretty cute, and if the campaign wasn't over I totally would have tossed a couple of bucks at it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 09, 2016, 03:20:30 pm »

idk, doesn't really work for me.

- "Minority Monsters" title is lame. Like Sesame Street level. That by itself would be excusable if the rest of it was cleverly done. Unfortunately the straight-forward and uncreative name foreshadows my other problems with it

- Art isn't even very good, not up to average webcomic standards even. If your art is worse than average fanart level I don't want to be paying for someone to make more of it.

- Jokes aren't good, kind of feels like the same set-up each time.

- feels like cookie-cutter Tumblr activism, laundry-list of current buzzwords.

I've seen better webcomics where they explore specifics of single subculture / gender identity and they seem a lot better than this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:34:21 pm by Reelya »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 09, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »

Its an attempt, at least.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 09, 2016, 03:40:22 pm »

I think my main sense of concern for similar things can be summed up as:

the author is clearly not all those things since they're mutually-exclusive, but is claiming to speak for all those groups. e.g. if we did something similar for race then clearly people would object.

In this case, someone is using "intersectionality" to claim a right to speak for a multitude of other subgroups, and claiming the title "Minority Monsters" is staking out a space to even define what Minority is.

A "demisexual" white person just does not have the same disadvantages as a black person of any sexuality. To claim that demisexuals or similar identities which are completely off the radar of 99.9% of society somehow earns you the title minority. Well, fuck that person, to be honest. I am a racial minority who has suffered racism, and white people calling themselves "demisexual" in a large city doesn't make them disadvantaged minorities.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:46:39 pm by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 09, 2016, 03:44:23 pm »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/delphindruelle/visions-of-a-thousand-eyes-the-ultimate-fantasy-ar/description

Basically an artbook by a bunch of really great artists, you can get the el-cheapo PDF version for as low as 9$ which is a damn steal for the amount of works in it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 09, 2016, 11:09:47 pm »

"The Asexual Succubus"

I have a problem with this, even if it is clever. I think I'll stick to my standard "mythconceptions."
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 09, 2016, 11:16:10 pm »

Hmmm, maybe I'm just picky, but the example comics makes me feel a wee bit like it's just the big book of sexuality tokenism...hmmm, now I wonder, can it even be still tokenism if the entire population set is made of token individuals? 

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:52 pm »

I find the cconcept of spoilers alien, too. I enjoy rereading books, and enjoying the story.

Often I reach realizations I had missed, or forgotten, the first time around.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 10, 2016, 12:52:27 am »

Obviously the noted "spoiler" objections are true for any historical fiction, so it does seem odd that they're a specific objection in this case.

"Spoilers" are also an issue for basically anything. "MC wins at the end, defeats baddies" describes virtually everything. Occasionally, you get one where "hero dies at the end, spectacularly", because if there's no meaning or interest in the hero's death, a story isn't going to be made about that. So you have two basic possible endings, coin-flip that and people seem upset if you tell them whether a particular series has Ending A or Ending B, despite this being about the most insignificant difference between stories.

If you were only watching movies "to see how they end", e.g. whether the hero lives or dies, then you're going to have a very poor movie watching experience. That's not what you're there for. "We don't see the wood for the trees" truly: we're not watching the movie to see whether it's an Ending A or Ending B movie, but to see what happens in between, yet we get the most upset about being told which type of ending it has.

But also, re-reading books I read as a teen as an adult, there are things I clearly missed because I didn't know e.g. as much about science and the world, or about male-female relationships, and where those are hinted at in the text I can now glean much more meaning from a few words from the author. So the reader's growth as a person can change meaning in a work as well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:01:05 am by Reelya »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 10, 2016, 01:16:50 am »

But also, re-reading books I read as a teen as an adult, there are things I clearly missed because I didn't know e.g. as much about science and the world, or about male-female relationships, and where those are hinted at in the text I can now glean much more meaning from a few words from the author. So the reader's growth as a person can change meaning in a work as well.

I find it tough to re-read a book I've already read.  To the point of just missing more things.
(Although I was able to recognize the gay relationships in the Pern novels years after having read them, and not picking up on it as a kid.  Kind of "well....duh. Of course they were gay" kind of thing).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 10, 2016, 02:28:38 am »

Honestly I can't even think about the minority monsters thing without mentally jumping to Avenue Q.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:16 am »

Just a little kick, to start this thread going again...

I finished Thimbleweed Park a few weeks ago, I must say it gets the feeling right, it has its weak points but overall I'd call it a success.

Some of the backers were inserted in the game in a pretty clever way too, I think.

Here's a little pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46