Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92673 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #420 on: May 30, 2014, 03:59:37 am »

Owww... OWW that pun Reading Rainbow did.

"We just went twice as high"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2014, 08:00:35 am »

Its not exactly indirect. If you can't problem solve or use algorithms after the beginning of the game it will just stonewall you under a pile of seemingly impossible tasks until you learn or you give up.

I'm a programmer and I had trouble after about level 8.

Not because I couldn't come up with a solution, but because I couldn't get the pieces I had available to fit into the space the right way (the level I gave up on I was able to produce 1 molecule of the desired material, then it got jammed).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #422 on: May 30, 2014, 08:01:49 am »

Sometimes I produce a ton of molecules, then the phases coincide and ONE molecule gets stuck. :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 30, 2014, 10:32:48 am »

Love that game.  :D  And its one of the only games I actually enjoyed on my tablet.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 04, 2014, 08:30:52 am »

I have to hand it to LeVar... He is right quality education programming is scarce. Well outside shows for babies to four year olds.

Heck entertaining educational television is rare... and I am someone who would LOVE educational shows and videogames for adults that weren't flat boring documentaries. (Honestly game developers and indie developers.. NO ONE interested in a videogame that teaches you advanced chemistry in a fun way? Ancient Cultures? or even math? Do people just become adults and decide that learning isn't fun?)
I'd say there are some games that fit those criteria to various degrees. I also disagree on documentaries being flat and boring, i'd argue that most of them are needlessly dramatised and sensationalized to the detriment of the educational value, but some manage to strike a good balance, for example, meerkat manor was pretty entertaining and engaging, and although most of the narrative was staged, it made a pretty honest attempt at being informative.

On games it's mostly incidental or done to add flavor, but i'd argue the age of empires series was a pretty good intro to ancient and medieval history for many people, and paradox grand strategies go quite a few lengths further.

Games like KSP reward and encourage real world knowledge on math, physics and aerodynamics. DF does this to some extent too, with geology and metallurgy. I know i'm a bit more knowledgeable because of these games.

finally, URW always felt a bit like experimental archaeology to me, and it's apparent disinterest in aesthetics and gamey mechanics, and obsession with realism gives it something of a "documentary" feel

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2014, 08:36:06 am »

I said quality Askot.

Those sensationalized documentaries you refer to are usually garbage.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:36 am »

Those sensationalized documentaries you refer to are everything is usually garbage.
fixed. i don't think most quality documentaries are actually that flat, and boring depends on how interesting you find the subject, sometimes there's little a director can do to spice things without dumbing them down

though i've had some surprises. of the top of my mind i've seen a wonderful documentary on menstruation, and a very interesting one about french fries

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 01, 2014, 12:38:49 pm »

Slight bump, but...

Sheltered got funded, and may even reach it's big stretch goal in it's last 3 days.

Looks awesome, personally backed it for Alpha. If anyone happens to have 500 pounds they're willing to throw on this, I have an idea for an awesome easter egg.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #428 on: July 01, 2014, 12:52:18 pm »

Saw that one. Looks neat, like FTL meets Fallout. And there ain't nothing about that sentence what I don't like.

Technology wize, this looks neat. It's funded and the kickstart finished yesterday. A portable solar-powered charging station that can even be chained together to provide a larger power source with an open design. It's cool as technology, and even has some potential humanitarian uses.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:54:26 pm by MorleyDev »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 01, 2014, 01:17:25 pm »

Sheltered got funded, and may even reach it's big stretch goal in it's last 3 days.

Looks awesome, personally backed it for Alpha. If anyone happens to have 500 pounds they're willing to throw on this, I have an idea for an awesome easter egg.

That's neat.  I think I'll toss a buck or five.  Haven't got the 500 quid floating around for an easter egg (that's a good one though).

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:46 am »

Okay, so this is a thing.
Um, yeah. OK.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:15 am »

You sure you got the right thread, not the wrong one?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2014, 10:08:01 am »

You sure you got the right thread, not the wrong one?

Well not sure, but when I think "goes right", I think "got funded"...
*shrug*

Worst case scenario, I brought the thread back from the dead, if not entirely appropriately.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2014, 10:17:56 am »

I think the point of "goes right" is "this is awesome go fund it" and "goes wrong" is "why the fsk is this on Kickstarter?"

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2014, 10:23:34 am »

Potato salad is awesome.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46