Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Waterlock(Or how to stop theoretical digging enemies)  (Read 18423 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I'm currently working on a megaproject I intend to share and while I was sealing off a few things I accidentally came up with something I thought quite clever.

Toady has said (somewhere, I cant remember where) that Dwarf Fortress will eventually have creatures and enemies that can tunnel into your fort.  I accidentally discovered a way to actively defend against it AND deal with whatever was dumb enough to try to dig through.

I give you... THE WATERLOCK!

Picture a large box.  Within it is a slightly-smaller block.  That block is your fort and everything in it.  In the gap between... is water.

As we all know, aquifers, cave lakes and the odd accident with a overseer-built reservoir can utterly kill a fort with flooded tunnels due to the unstoppable water flow.  I've weaponized this into a barrier of sorts.  With a wall of water enveloping the fort, any attempt to dig in will inevitably result in a lethal rush of constant pressurized water down the would-be intruder's tunnel.

Now, here's how to build one.  My test version was 10z deep, but you can make them as big as you want, and the water barrier as wide as you want.  Doesn't have to be 1 square wide, just add more floodgates in a row at the airlock.

The top level should look something like this;
Spoiler:  Waterlock Top Level (click to show/hide)

The screwpumps were just my way of filling it quickly.  You can use aquifer tiles, rivers, whatever you like.
The reason for the down-staircases were just for expediency of digging.  I just set a row of up-down staircases all the way down to the bottom so it would be easier to do.  Feel free to set dwarves channeling down in alternating vertical rows or something, whatever's easiest for you.

Most of the levels in the Waterlock will look like this

However, the level above the airlock (the means to get inside safely), requires flooring in order to create a ceiling for the airlock's level

Here is the fun level of the Waterlock.  The airlock.  Using two floodgates and two doors, a simple airlock permits water to flow around the barrier and still allow a dwarf to seal the passage so they can exit, albeit a little damp.

Spoiler:  Waterlock Airlock (click to show/hide)

The first and third levers (counting downwards) control the doors.  The second controls both of the floodgates.

When sealed, it looks like this

Spoiler:  Sealed Waterlock (click to show/hide)

And now, the FUN part.  What happens if some errant critter tries burrowing in?

It should be noted that the airlock level is 6z-levels below the top of the Waterlock.  If you've meddled with water pressure, you know what's coming next and just smiled a little cruelly at the test dwarf.

Spoiler:  Invader dealt with (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the pressurized water has flooded the intruder's tunnel and thus, kept the fort safe.  This WILL drain the WaterLock to that level, of course, but it will flood out whatever hole the intruder came from.  To repair it, a drainage system should be dug out the lowest level so that holes can be repaired while your visitors are still enjoying their new indoor swimming pool.

I hope this is of some use to you guys, or at least provided a moment's amusement.

And as a footnote; Magma would work, but you'd have to wait for the random 1/7 tiles to cool after opening the airlock and hope a dwarf isn't in too much of a hurry to look at what he's walking through
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:41:42 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Presumably it works just as well with magma? I know magma has no pressure, but iirc you can cause it by abusing pumps. Bookmarked for future fort safety.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah, I've had this idea in my head for awhile.  If you keep the floors on each level of the lock, and connect them only via a central shaft, there should be a way to keep pressurized water supplied to each level, without draining the whole thing if one level is breached.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah, I've had this idea in my head for awhile.  If you keep the floors on each level of the lock, and connect them only via a central shaft, there should be a way to keep pressurized water supplied to each level, without draining the whole thing if one level is breached.

I think this could work.  It would open a possible hole due to the need for mechanical power though - use screwpumps feeding from a central vertical pipeline to fill each row with water.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I've been thinking about something similar for when Toady gets around to diggers. The only problem is - if you actually channel the sides - what happens at the bottom? The fort still has to be supported somehow*, and that gives diggers a possible entrance. Some ideas:

-Make the bottom floor a checkerboard of solid stone and water (connected to the rest of the 'waterlock' on the sides). Digging out any given stone tile would flood the unlucky digger from the adjacent water tiles, but leave the fort supported from all the other stone tiles. Space your stone supports out slightly if you want the water to stay pressurized, although this should not be strictly necessary (should be enough to have an instant 4 tiles of water hitting an attacker + continuous unpressurized flow).

-The Dwarven Way: dig all the way down to the magma sea, support your fort directly on SMR. Make your waterlock a magmalock.

-Build it on top of an aquifer. The aquifer layer is solid stone and can support your fort, but attempting to dig into the fort from beneath will still flood.
(In fact you could safely pierce the aquifer and expand beneath it without restriction, every layer beneath the aquifer would be safe from digging in from above. The waterlock only needs to protect a small shaft leading down to the aquifer breach. However this makes the questionable assumptions that (1) the enemy digger can't breathe water, and (2) nothing will try to dig up to your fort from the caverns.)

*Of course if you don't channel and just make it all up/down stairs, they provide support and allow you to flood the bottom layer completely. You could also support it with floors connecting to the sides, although this could disrupt water flow - maybe leave a floor in every other tile while channeling.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:39:30 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets take a tall pipe pressurized from the top via a pump stack.  The pipe runs up and down alongside the fortress.  Now each level of the lock is supplied pressurized water from the pipe, but that water drops a z level as it connects to the lock, so it cannot flow out into the pipe, but it can remain pressurized from the pipe.  Because the z-level drop, the connection to the pipe will alternate on every z-level.

Now, although the levels above the breached level will lose pressure, which you may consider useless.  If you use a hatch to seal the lower section of the pipe, you can return pressure to the upper levels.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll admit, I only did a basic idea for the Waterlock based on another design I'm building so it could easily stand some refinement. 

Slothen, If you make it a central water supply with screwpumps on the inner wall of the waterlock, you won't lose pressure ANYWHERE except the 'attacked' level in the 'lock.  Disable those pumps and then you'd be free to effect repairs.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about multiple attacks on the same level but different approach (angle, side, w/e), if that level loses pressure?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about multiple attacks on the same level but different approach (angle, side, w/e), if that level loses pressure?
so far under the proposed designs, nothing loses pressure until its deliberately shut off.  if there's a breach on a level, you can continue pumping water into it forever.  If there's two breaches on the same level, then it'll be handled just fine, as long as the invaders don't miraculously dig through a cave, allowing drainage, or you run out of water.
Thoughts on water

BirdofPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you are worried about leaving other areas defenseless while you turn it off to effect repairs, do it by sections rather than just levels.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

God damn Aussie, you've gone from doing what Toady designed to be impossible (colonizing Hell) to defending against things which don't even exist in the game yet.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you are worried about leaving other areas defenseless while you turn it off to effect repairs, do it by sections rather than just levels.

The problem with subdividing is it geometrically reduces the amount of water you can flood the offending tunnel with.  It could be done, but you'd have to make a HUGE waterlocked chamber with a barrier of about 5-10 tiles in width.  Doable, but quite the task.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And as a footnote; Magma would work, but you'd have to wait for the random 1/7 tiles to cool after opening the airlock and hope a dwarf isn't in too much of a hurry to look at what he's walking through.
You can add another floodgate in the middle and shut it on a minute before opening the doors - liquids disintegrate under closing gates.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

@Anathema:

A better way to support the bottom (or top!) of your fortress would be with supports several supports. That way you don't need to reduce the amount of water that is available to flood tunnels since supports will allow water to occupy their same tiles.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Zombie. Diggers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5