Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)  (Read 55396 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2012, 08:39:34 am »

Unvote. Fair enough.

Hapah and borno: Could you sum up why you're voting each other?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2012, 08:52:07 am »

Sure. I'm voting for borno because he's SCUM!!!!!11oneoneeleven

(kidding, kidding).

Seriously though, I think he's only interested in getting questions out there, and not so much concerned with what the answers are as looking like he's scumhunting. He asked me a question that I had (more or less) already been asked, and then put a very small edit on it that didn't really change it at all once I pointed this out.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2012, 10:07:30 am »

Sorry about that. It is exam week and I have been making most of my posts after the exams. suffice to say I am
"burned out". So I will be trying to make most of my posts in the morning now.

Both Urist and Borno are playing aggressive. This by it's self is a good thing, but often a scum will tend to hide in the top 2-3.
It is really all I have to go on atm. I suppose it is time to chum the waters.

I voted Borno to keep the conflict balanced, If all of our votes crowd onto one wagon there is a very high possibility of D1 ending with 7 votes on one person (who has a 1/9 chance, tops of being scum. If I can keep the sides balanced it will escalate further, and a real tell might show up.

Unfortunantly I still cannot think of any good questions to get the topic moving.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:10 am »

It is a weak response, but really, I'm playing this match to get a feel for how to respond to tells, and It's D1, THERE ARE NO TELLS, yet; or i'm just noob-blind.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:19 am »

...Jiokuy.

Both Urist and Borno are playing aggressive. This by it's self is a good thing, but often a scum will tend to hide in the top 2-3. It is really all I have to go on atm. I suppose it is time to chum the waters.

So borno and I are suspicious because we're scumhunting.

No. Just no. (link)

I voted Borno to keep the conflict balanced, If all of our votes crowd onto one wagon there is a very high possibility of D1 ending with 7 votes on one person
So consensus is a bad thing?

(who has a 1/9 chance, tops of being scum).
How did you get that number?

If I can keep the sides balanced it will escalate further, and a real tell might show up.
But until you voted Hapah and borno were tied for votes. How is breaking a tie "keeping the sides balanced?"

Unofficial votecount:

borno: Hapah, Jiokuy, Lord Allagon
Hapah: borno
Karlito: obolisk0430
Jiokuy: Shakerag, Urist Imiknorris

Not Voting: Dr. Philbes, Karlito
People needing prods: Darvi, Dr. Philbes, Darvi, Karlito, Darvi
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2012, 11:06:34 am »

[Activity, everyone.  Let's see some more posting.  You signed up to play this game, so play.  the.  game.  If you don't feel like you have any leads, start making them.  Read through the thread, question people about thier responses or how they responded.  Applying pressure can sometimes get people to crack or panic.  Being active and aggressive is what catches scum and makes scum look like town so as to not be discovered.  It's in both parties interest to be as productively active as possible.]

Sorry about that. It is exam week and I have been making most of my posts after the exams. suffice to say I am

Both Urist and Borno are playing aggressive. This by it's self is a good thing, but often a scum will tend to hide in the top 2-3.

I voted Borno to keep the conflict balanced, If all of our votes crowd onto one wagon there is a very high possibility of D1 ending with 7 votes on one person (who has a 1/9 chance, tops of being scum. If I can keep the sides balanced it will escalate further, and a real tell might show up.

Unfortunantly I still cannot think of any good questions to get the topic moving.
[Generally speaking, we want to see at minimum one decently-sized, content laden post per player per RL day.  More is obviously better.  Some of us have other obligations; that's fine.]
[Again, being aggressive isn't a scumtell.  That's the "being too towny" fallacy.]
[I'm not sure what you are trying to get at in your third paragraph.  If you think someone is scum, you vote for them regardless of any bandwagon.  If you want to put pressure on someone, a vote often helps to that end.  Voting to keep a conflict balanced isn't going to achieve anything.  If you want to get some scumtells, then put the thumbscrews on someone until either they show up, or you feel the person is town.  Waiting and watching won't achieve that, and only serves to make you look scummy for being passive.]

PPE:  Goddamnit, Urist. 

It is a weak response, but really, I'm playing this match to get a feel for how to respond to tells, and It's D1, THERE ARE NO TELLS, yet; or i'm just noob-blind.
[Start by looking over posts that aren't strictly RVS Q and A.  Do you find yourself thinking "why did he ask that" or "why did he respond in that way"?  Post it.  If you really don't get any thoughts from those posts, go back to the RVS posts.  Read them over, make note if you think anything odd.  You should be able to get something to start with from that.]

[Which leads me to think of another general point.  Don't be afraid to post a "dumb" question.  Don't get caught up worrying about making mistakes.  You will make mistakes.  That's why this is a learning game.  And that's why Urist Imiknorris and I are here.  There's more emphasis on learning over winning here, and you can't learn if you don't post.]

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »

Unvote since karlito is still not doing anything.

After re-reading the whole Hapah-Borno thing, I think Hapah looks suspicious.  His vote was originally placed on Borno from this.
Unvote, Vote Hapah. You are mafia on D1. You haven't gotten a good read on the behavior of the town, except for a lurker. Do you NK the lurker, or a random towny?

borno, that's a weak edit, man. You added a whole four letters. It suggests that you aren't so much concerned with the answer as making sure you're pointing enough fingers. If you missed it the first time, that's cool, it happens. If you wanted to ask an actually DIFFERENT question, I'm cool with that too. But what you did, with the lazy edit and not answering my question? It doesn't smell right to me.

This is bullshit reasoning.  I don't see his quote change thing as anything more than a lazy edit. 
Hapah's latest posts regarding this Borno thing are these two.

-snip-
borno: Good response, see my answers to Urist. If there's a question in your latest post, just let me know.

Sure. I'm voting for borno because he's SCUM!!!!!11oneoneeleven

(kidding, kidding).

Seriously though, I think he's only interested in getting questions out there, and not so much concerned with what the answers are as looking like he's scumhunting. He asked me a question that I had (more or less) already been asked, and then put a very small edit on it that didn't really change it at all once I pointed this out.

What the hell is this crap?  When you put your vote on him, you said it was because of him making a lazy edit and not answering your questions.  He then answers your questions, and you even say it was a good response!  But you keep the vote on him, even though he just cleared out half of your reason. 
You should try harder at being less a obvious scum, scum.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »

obolisk0430: If you think my reason for voting borno is bullshit, that's fine. You and he both can vote me, or anyone else, for whatever reason you'd like. I'm voting him because of (what I see as) a weak scumtell. I liked that his answer laid out why he voted (instead of the normal "He's scum get him!" that you see so often, where figuring out what they're thinking is like pulling teeth), but it doesn't make his scumtell go away. And you get the FoS because of the below (I had your name in front of both, but it looked janky).

Where did I say that he didn't answer my questions? As far as I know he's answered 'em all.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »

This will potentially get awkward if Darvi doesn't show up soon. 

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2012, 12:02:10 am »

Originally it was just an RVS vote. His answer wasn't satisfactory, and he voted for me because of a lazy edit, so I kept my vote on him.

What the hell is this crap? Are you voting me just because I am being aggressive? Or are you voting me because if you vote me, my chances of getting lynched are much higher? And if I have 2/9 chance of being scum, I also have 7/9 chance of being town. If you don't have a real vote, look for one, scum.

Unvote, Vote Jiokuy.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2012, 12:25:31 am »

Hmm. So the mod for this game hasn't been logged in since May 2nd, so obviously he cannot perform his moderator duties. I've contacted him to see if I can get the game running.

If I don't hear from him soon, I'll take over for modding. In preparation for this, make sure you have your role PMs ready to send to me. Until that point, continue playing as normal.

I know the moderator's disappearance has kind of shot the activity of this game in the foot. I don't expect that my announcement here will return it to the levels the game started with, but if I do end up taking over, I'll expect all of you to play actively and busily from then on.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2012, 01:32:09 am »

Darvi: wherefor hither art thou Darvi, hast thou forsaken us?

And yeah I'd just as soon not roll belly up as the D1 sacrificial Kitteh, but I have no idea how to go about defending myself.
I suppose I was not ready for a beginners game. Good luck in in your scumhunts. May you find your ch33zburgers safe and sound, so that your bellies shall once again be full. Remember me. . .

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2012, 01:40:28 am »

And yeah I'd just as soon not roll belly up as the D1 sacrificial Kitteh, but I have no idea how to go about defending myself.
I suppose I was not ready for a beginners game.
Everyone's ready for a beginner's game; it's designed for beginners. If you don't think you're doing well or learning properly, it's probably because you're either not doing enough to learn from or accomplish much, or not following or asking for the right advice. Blindly trying things is usually better than blindly not trying things.

And of course, there's always next time. Not that you should just give up, but I mean, worst case keep trying.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2012, 11:13:44 pm »

Darvi has missed the deadline for returning that I told nobody about.

Send me your roles. I'm sending out prods to speed up the process.

Day will end Tuesday 9:00 PM MST.

If I don't receive your role by 9:00 PM MST tomorrow, you will be prodded again.

Let's get this game going again.

[3] borno: Hapah, Jiokuy, Lord Allagon
[1] Hapah: obolisk0430
[3] Jiokuy: Shakerag, Urist Imiknorris, borno

Not Voting: Dr. Phibes, Karlito
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2012, 10:48:56 am »

[Okay everyone, due to moderator shenanigans, we've been granted a couple of extra days.  Let's see you all make the most of them.  Given that we've had a bit of a lapse, now would be a good time for everyone to give a brief review on why they are voting who they are voting.]

My vote's on Jiokuy because (1) he made a fairly reasonless vote after being poked about not voting, (2) missed answering my question, and (3) not voting who he thought was scum, but to "keep the conflict balanced".  And, of course, (4) throwing in the towel like the guilty scumbag he is.

[Let's break this down point by point for educational purposes.  Both for Jiokuy and for everyone else to not do these things.

1)  If you're going to vote, have a reason.  Even if it's "because RVS" or as a pressure vote, reasons, reasons, reasons.  Otherwise you look like you're voting arbitrarily, and that's scummy.

2)  If someone asks you a question, it looks scummy if you don't answer or avoid answering it.  At the very least it looks like you're not paying attention, which doesn't help whichever team you're on, and likely will not contribute to your longevity.

3)  Going with number one, having a shitty reason for voting is just as bad (or worse) than having no reason for voting.  Also, tactics involving "gaming" the voting system are outside the scope of a beginner's game, so let's stick to good ol' fashioned scumhunting for now. 

4)  Again, never give up.  It is certainly not unheard of for someing being fitted for a noose to face his or her accusers, smash thier arguments, and live for another day.  Sometimes it all falls on deaf ears, but you never know.  Always go out fighting.]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22