Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)  (Read 55371 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:07 am »

Unvote, Vote Hapah. You are mafia. You haven't gotten a good read on the behavior of the town, except for a lurker. Do you NK the lurker, or a random towny?
Ha, I read the very first bit of your question and thought you were REALLY jumping the gun on calling me scum.

Random, if those are the only two options and I don't think the lurker is trying to fly low with a power role. Lurkers aren't a bad thing for scum, it's hard for them to find you if they don't go looking.

I can't help but notice your question is very similar to one I answered already, borno. Why is that? Did you miss it? I thought I had already made my night actions (and the reasoning behind them) as a scum reasonably clear.

borno: Answer the two questions posed to me, if you would.

Q1.)
@Hapah: It's D2. You are scum. There is a player aggressively attacking other players, and there is a lurker who has only posted twice in the actual game. Who do you kill?
Q2.) The question you asked me (quoted at the top of this post).
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2012, 03:30:34 am »

Unvote, Vote Hapah. You are mafia on D1. You haven't gotten a good read on the behavior of the town, except for a lurker. Do you NK the lurker, or a random towny?
Ha, I read the very first bit of your question and thought you were REALLY jumping the gun on calling me scum.  Random, if those are the only two options and I don't think the lurker is trying to fly low with a power role. Lurkers aren't a bad thing for scum, it's hard for them to find you if they don't go looking.  I can't help but notice your question is very similar to one I answered already, borno. Why is that? Did you miss it? I thought I had already made my night actions (and the reasoning behind them) as a scum reasonably clear.  borno: Answer the two questions posed to me, if you would.  Q1.)
@Hapah: It's D2. You are scum. There is a player aggressively attacking other players, and there is a lurker who has only posted twice in the actual game. Who do you kill?
Q2.) The question you asked me (quoted at the top of this post).
Oops, forgot to add something. And I must of not seen that post. Also, it's called RVS for a reason, and that is my reason for voting for you.  Q1) From my (Small) experience as scum, I have learned that it is be a good strategy to NK the active player. That way he/she won't call attention to you. But it also depends on how competent the person is. If the lurker's post have been extremely smart and logical, it may be the safe option to vote for him/her. But usually that is not the case.  Q2) What would the point be in answering my own question? I will, if you insist, but only after you answer the revised version.

Dr Phibes: You haven't contributed so far. Here's a question: You are a cop on MYLO. The town has decided to call a No-Lynch. There a very scummy person (Although it may just be Newbieness) who is actively scumhunting, and one from a person who hasn't contributed to scumhunting, but hasn't dropped any scumtells either. Who do you inspect?

Karlito: You haven't contributed so far. Here's a question: You are mafia on LYLO. You dropped a major scumtell, and now everyone's on your back. Do you accept your fate? If not, what do you do to get the heat off you?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 10:05:52 am »

Jiokuy:  If you could pick one of the power roles in this game and know who has it (or if no one does) which role would you pick and why?
In this game (e.g. BM and not Mafia in general), I would want to know who the cop was. Knowing who the doctor is doesn't really help me all that much, but the ability to trust that a player really is a cop is invaluable. The cop is who helps inform the uninformed majority.
True, but players putting too much faith in cops is why we have godfather roles [and millers, but that's in non-beginner games].  Why would you want to know who the cop is over who the godfather and/or roleblocker, Jiokuy

Shakerag: Which is worse for the town: A townie that drops scumtells/noobtells but is okay at scumhunting, or one that doesn't scumhunt much but doesn't drop many tells? Why?
Arguably both are bad for town.  The former is prone to get mislynched for thier *tells, and the latter is prone to get mislynched for active lurking.  If I had to pick, I'd say the second one, because at least the first player is generating activity via scumhunting. 
[I would personally disagree with your answer to Lord Allagon.  As scum, NKing the lurker over the agressive player would be, I think, a bad move.  Said aggressive player could end up targeting you or your scumteam and one of you could end up cracking under the pressure.  Better to remove that person so one of the scumteam can move in as "the aggressive player" and direct the rest of the town.]

No lynch.  I'm not sure who would be scum in that mess, but I would bet on the activelurker, unless I feel that the scumhunter's claims are mostly bullshit.  Regardless, No lynch, and wait to see who dies would be better than lynching and having a higher chance of messing up.
[I can't quote a source at present, but I have heard it stated that unless you have a confirmed scum to lynch during MYLO, the safest bet is to no lynch and bring the game to LYLO.  Roles in non-beginner games like vigilante, cult, etc. can make a situation that looks like MYLO actually *be* LYLO, however.]

[borno:  If you're reposting something for formatting issues, please indicate that a little more clearly with something like "Reposting with better formatting:" right before it, and give a little space after the 'repost'.  Your question to Hapah looks like it is in reference somehow to your reposted post.  Just makes reading a little easier on us :)]

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 11:08:17 am »

Hapah[1]: borno
Phibes[1]: Jiokuy
borno[1]: L.Allagon
L.Allagon[1]: Shakerag
Karlito[1]: Urist

Not voting: obolisk, Phibes
No Lynch:

Extend:
Shorten:

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:46 pm »

Mod: Are we missing two people on that votecount?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 12:29:33 pm »

They're not being voted to so no.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »

Mod: Are we missing two people on that votecount?

Indeed.  Hapah and Karlito are missing.  They should be tacked on to the Not Voting list?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:11 pm »

Oh that kind of missing. <_<

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:21 pm »

Jiokuy:  If you could pick one of the power roles in this game and know who has it (or if no one does) which role would you pick and why?
In this game (e.g. BM and not Mafia in general), I would want to know who the cop was. Knowing who the doctor is doesn't really help me all that much, but the ability to trust that a player really is a cop is invaluable. The cop is who helps inform the uninformed majority.
True, but players putting too much faith in cops is why we have godfather roles [and millers, but that's in non-beginner games].  Why would you want to know who the cop is over who the godfather and/or roleblocker, Jiokuy
Yes that is very true. I had not considered Godfathers, they are by and far the most valuable to know. But I also feel that knowing who the godfather is would remove the fun of hunting them down.

e.g. If I know who the cop is I might be able to bait the Godfather with the cop, then again who knows. Godfathers are unusual.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »

MOD: I'm sorry, but something in real life came up and I won't be able to play. Requesting a replacement.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »

Unvote, Vote Hapah. You are mafia on D1. You haven't gotten a good read on the behavior of the town, except for a lurker. Do you NK the lurker, or a random towny?

borno, that's a weak edit, man. You added a whole four letters. It suggests that you aren't so much concerned with the answer as making sure you're pointing enough fingers. If you missed it the first time, that's cool, it happens. If you wanted to ask an actually DIFFERENT question, I'm cool with that too. But what you did, with the lazy edit and not answering my question? It doesn't smell right to me.

Shakerag[IC]: It's not ideal. I'd much rather kill neither, but if I had to go one, I'll take the lurker. I'm not convinced there's a right or wrong answer, it probably depends on what the scum schemes are.

obolisk0430: Do you prefer playing Town or Maf? Much more importantly, why?

Lord Phibes and Karlito, where are you?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »

Karlito, you mentioned that you had some previous mafia experience here. Care to give us some examples?
I managed to dig up this ancient thread, which was probably the most exciting game I played. I'm sure there's been a lot of evolution of play in the three years since then, like doing this question thing on day one as opposed to just voting for no lynch. I like it.

Karlito: You haven't contributed so far. Here's a question: You are mafia on LYLO. You dropped a major scumtell, and now everyone's on your back. Do you accept your fate? If not, what do you do to get the heat off you?
Ideally, sow as much confusion as possible. I doubt I'm deceptive enough to wriggle out of a lynch for more than another turn, so the best thing would be to try and transfer some suspicion onto a townie or two. Realistically, such shenanigans depend a lot on my available time and energy in real life. If I've got a lab report due the next day, I'd probably just roll over and die  :).

Karlito, where are you?
Right here! Give me a few minutes to read through the thread again more carefully and then I'll put up another post with questions.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »

Karlito: Good to see you're still alive! I was afraid of one person requesting replacement and two more going MIA: It'll kill a game real fast.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »

obolisk0430: Do you prefer playing Town or Maf? Much more importantly, why?

I have no idea.  I'm town right now, and I've only ever played one other game, in which I was also town.  That game pretty much died due to everyone lurking.
Hapah:
Oh, definitely. But I want to remove the real town thinkers.
You do?

Urist, why are you talking peoples quotes out of context?

Damnit.  Unvote.
Sorry Urist, that was supposed to be blue.

Why does that matter this early? Unless there's a lynch-train going that I don't see.
I switched it because I honestly think it's a bullshit reason to vote someone, and it seemed to close to an I'm voting you because of X as opposed to a random vote.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:15 pm »

Fair enough answer on both points, I guess.

Though don't hesitate to vote someone if you have a reason! (though you're right, taking quotes out of context is a weak reason. It is RVS though, everything is weak).

And nobody asked, but I don't really like the RVS in general. You do have to get the conversation moving, sure, but I wish people were a little tighter with their votes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22