Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)  (Read 55318 times)

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »

@borno: It's D2. You are a doctor. There is a player aggressively attacking other players, and there is a lurker who has only posted twice in the actual game. Who do you protect?
[/quote]
Last BM I was scum, so I would pick the aggressive player. If he/she is a Mafia, I would be wrong. However, If he/she is a Towny, then the Mafia would of missed a chance at knocking out an active player. But it also depends on who was killed D1.

obolisk0430, It is MYLO, and you are a Vanilla Towny. There is a New person to the sub forums, who is either Very nooby, or a scum. There is a player who actively scumhunts, an activelurker, and a lurker. Who do you vote?

Lord Allagon, It is D2, and you are the cop. You mislynched the first lynch, and one of your prime suspects was killed. Your first investigation turned up Towny. There is a very active player, but who isn't very good at scumhunting, an activelurker, and there is a suspicous lurker who turned up Towny. Who do you vote for? And who do you investigate?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »

Shakerag:  Suppose you're a doctor.  One person has been agressivelly scum hunting, but doesn't always seem to have good reasons for their attacks.  Another person has been kind of active and helpful, but doesn't really give off any vibes one way or the other.  Another person is really scummy but may just be noob-town.  A fourth person has been lurking.  Which person do you protect at night.
I assume you mean those are the players who are remaining after day end?  Unless I have a good reason otherwise, I typically pick the most aggressive and/or strongest player to protect, so I'd likely target the first person in your example. 

Lord Allagon:  If you were a Godfather, would you try and draw suspicion on yourself in order to get inspected?
No. Maybe if I had more experience, but if I tried to do it now I'd probably fail and discover myself to the town.
That's interesting wording, Lord Allagon.  You seem to be responding not in the context of my hypothetical situation, but as if you actually *are* a godfather in this game.  Consider my RVS vote on you to now be a lynch vote, scum. 

[Typically, during the RVS phase, when a person whom you are voting on answers your question to your satisfaction you unvote them.  However, if you decide to keep your vote on that person because his or her response is scummy, it is good to clarify why you're not unvoting.]

[Additionally, the answers to RVS questions are often pretty dull, and not much information is gleaned from them.  I usually end up looking more at *how* the player answered the question, not what they answered it with.]

Jiokuy:  If you could pick one of the power roles in this game and know who has it (or if no one does) which role would you pick and why?

Urist Imiknorris:  If you could pick one of the power roles in this game and whoever had it died (or know that no one had that particular role in event of no death), which role would you pick and why?

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

Jiokuy:  If you could pick one of the power roles in this game and know who has it (or if no one does) which role would you pick and why?
In this game (e.g. BM and not Mafia in general), I would want to know who the cop was. Knowing who the doctor is doesn't really help me all that much, but the ability to trust that a player really is a cop is invaluable. The cop is who helps inform the uninformed majority.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »

Urist Imiknorris:  If you could pick one of the power roles in this game and whoever had it died (or know that no one had that particular role in event of no death), which role would you pick and why?
Godfather. In a game like this, a godfather who gets inspected and isn't overly scummy is pretty much a guaranteed scum victory.

Hapah, if you were scum, how would you determine who to night-kill?

@borno: It's D2. You are a doctor. There is a player aggressively attacking other players, and there is a lurker who has only posted twice in the actual game. Who do you protect?
Last BM I was scum, so I would pick the aggressive player. If he/she is a Mafia, I would be wrong. However, If he/she is a Towny, then the Mafia would of missed a chance at knocking out an active player. But it also depends on who was killed D1.
The preview button is your friend.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

Response time! If I missed your question, just let me know.

Darvi: Will do!

Hapah:  It's N1, and you're a scum roleblocker.  No one claimed a role during D1.  How do you pick your target?
Look for the nervous one. You know the type: Posts 4 times in 30 minutes after getting one hard question and a RVS vote. New players get weighted a little easier (they're twitchy all the time), but I'd guess anyone that jumps when you say "Boo" probably does so for a reason.

@Hapah: It's D2. You are scum. There is a player aggressively attacking other players, and there is a lurker who has only posted twice in the actual game. Who do you kill?
Neither. They can both be useful, in their own way. The player aggressively attacking anything that moves muddies the waters, and as far as I'm concerned he's doing the Scum a favor. A lurker isn't hunting scum, and it's REAL hard to find them if not you're looking. As an added bonus, he'll look a little scummy because he's lurking: He might not be a hard lynch later in the game. If I had to choose one, though, I guess I'd NK the lurker.

Hapah, if you were scum, how would you determine who to night-kill?
If you have a solid idea that someone is a power role (see Shake's question), them. Otherwise, kill the really analytical types. You want to be able to nudge the town towards lynching who you want, and some person mucking it all up with reasonable arguments just won't do.

Shakerag: Which is worse for the town: A townie that drops scumtells/noobtells but is okay at scumhunting, or one that doesn't scumhunt much but doesn't drop many tells? Why?

Urist Imiknorris: If you are scum, and your newbie scumbuddy is dropping tells like crazy despite your guidance, what do you do?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 05:52:33 pm »

Hapah:  It's N1, and you're a scum roleblocker.  No one claimed a role during D1.  How do you pick your target?
Look for the nervous one. You know the type: Posts 4 times in 30 minutes after getting one hard question and a RVS vote. New players get weighted a little easier (they're twitchy all the time), but I'd guess anyone that jumps when you say "Boo" probably does so for a reason.
What if that person is jumpy because he's your scumbuddy? Then what would you do?

You want to be able to nudge the town towards lynching who you want, and some person mucking it all up with reasonable arguments just won't do.
But reasonable arguments are one of the scum's best weapons during the day. It's harder to suspect someone if you find yourself agreeing with their cases.

Urist Imiknorris: If you are scum, and your newbie scumbuddy is dropping tells like crazy despite your guidance, what do you do?
I'd probably tell him how he's doing it wrong in-thread (disguised as an accusation and accompanied by a vote) and hope he shapes up before I have to lynch him. If he doesn't, I'd "help" him into the noose.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 07:48:40 pm »

What if that person is jumpy because he's your scumbuddy? Then what would you do?
That's rough. You shouldn't spook him yourself, if you've laid out the plan in scumchat. If it's still RVS, I guess all you can do is keep the conversation moving, since it seems people have really short memories in the RVS days. You definately can't just ignore it, though: I guess you'd make some witty remark about how jumpy they are and then move the conversation on to the next person.

But reasonable arguments are one of the scum's best weapons during the day. It's harder to suspect someone if you find yourself agreeing with their cases.
Oh, definitely. But I want to remove the real town thinkers. You need to be able to come up with reasonable arguments of your own as scum, but it helps if the town's arguments are generally weaker.

And I like your answer to my question, it gives you a certain degree of distance if things do go south.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:06 pm »

Hapah:
Oh, definitely. But I want to remove the real town thinkers.
You do?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:06 pm »

You do?

I see what you did there. Our conversation was about what I would do as scum, and I stand by my comment.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »

obolisk0430, It is MYLO, and you are a Vanilla Towny. There is a New person to the sub forums, who is either Very nooby, or a scum. There is a player who actively scumhunts, an activelurker, and a lurker. Who do you vote?

No lynch.  I'm not sure who would be scum in that mess, but I would bet on the activelurker, unless I feel that the scumhunter's claims are mostly bullshit.  Regardless, No lynch, and wait to see who dies would be better than lynching and having a higher chance of messing up.

I'll toss a similar situation back at you, obolisk: You're a cop the night before 3 player LyLo. The living players are you, a chronic lurker (who has claimed doctor), a slightly scummy player who frequently jumps on bandwagons, and an aggressive but petty scumhunter who refuses to let go of anything that could be a slip. Who do you inspect?

I'm not sure.  If the scum is the lurker, he'll have to suddenly become active at LyLo if he wants to win for his team, and he'll face flak for that anyway.  If the scumhunter is scum, I figure he would probably kill me or the bandwagoner, and try and count on either the lurker lurking the vote into a tie or him being able to concince the lurker based on his activeness.  If the bandwagoner were scum, I figure he would either kill me or the scum-hunter, and hope the lurker lurks or that he can convince the lurker.  For some reason, I'm leaning to the bandwagoner, but that's probably just because he looks a bit more scummy than the scumhunter on face value.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »

Hapah:
You do?

Urist, why are you talking peoples quotes out of context?
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:19 pm »

Hapah:
You do?

Damnit.  Unvote.
Sorry Urist, that was supposed to be blue.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »

Hapah:
You do?

Damnit.  Unvote.
Sorry Urist, that was supposed to be blue.

Why does that matter this early? Unless there's a lynch-train going that I don't see.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

Hapah, obolisk: My brain keeps parsing it as a declaration of intent.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »

The preview button is your friend.
Oops.
No lynch.  I'm not sure who would be scum in that mess, but I would bet on the activelurker, unless I feel that the scumhunter's claims are mostly bullshit.  Regardless, No lynch, and wait to see who dies would be better than lynching and having a higher chance of messing up.
Unvote, Vote Hapah. You are mafia. You haven't gotten a good read on the behavior of the town, except for a lurker. Do you NK the lurker, or a random towny?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22