Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)  (Read 55341 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: I can has players? [7/7; 1/2; 1/1]
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 05:58:42 pm »

Playing IC in, then.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 07:42:46 pm »

Whew Mafia sure seem to win alot of the beginner matches. Best be wary watchers.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »

The game favors the mafia when the town doesn't know how to hunt. It's nothing to worry about, since the whole point of a Beginner's Mafia is not to win or lose, but learn.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 03:27:25 am »

Aight then. Will start this on Monday.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 01:07:47 am »

One day the kittehs of the world have found out that all their ch33zburgers have b33n stolen.

"Oh noez our ch33zburgers haf b33n stolened!", Obvious Cat said.

"We haf to find teh bad kittehs who stealed zem and taek back our ch33zburgers!"

Day 1 has begun, and, barring extensions, will end on Thursday.

From now on, the IC's, Urist and Shakerag, will occasionally pipe in and give you some advice on how to play. If you want to post before one of them does, make sure you have read some other games before so you don't screw up because you don't even have a grasp on the basics.
You can be assured that any advice an IC gives has b33n made in good faith and is completely unbiased (Or should be, at least). Even if they flip scum, that is not a reason to completely disregard any advice they would make before or afterwards.
Conversely, they are still actual players, so treat them like that because they can still be scum. The exception to this is Toaster who is guarant33d to be scum but is not actually playing so don't waste your time voting him.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:53 am »

This is my teaching voice.

Welcome to Mafia. Town, your goal is to find and lynch the scum. That is your only goal, because it is your only way to win. Everything you do should be in pursuit of that goal. Conversely, scum, your goal is to pretend you're town long enough to kill off the actual town. You do that by acting like you're looking for scum.

Games usually start with the random voting stage (RVS). Pick a player, vote them, and ask them a question. Ideally your questions should be game-related. For instance:

Karlito, you mentioned that you had some previous mafia experience here. Care to give us some examples?

Jiokuy: If you were a doctor, who would you protect on the first night?

You can only vote one person at a time, but don't let that stop you from questioning anyone you please. The point of the RVS is to start discussion, which is helped along a bit if there are questions flying every which way.

As Darvi said, ICs are not guaranteed town, and should not be treated as such. Our advice, however, is given entirely in good faith - we're here to help you learn first and foremost.

Finally, to quote Jim:

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:42 am »

((What the hell, I'll take replace list))
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 08:06:15 am »

((replace))
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:02 am »

[Hello everyone!  My particular ICing voice for this game will be commentary enclosed in square brackets.  Urist Imiknorris has covered a lot of the good introductory points already.  But, for emphasis' sake, I'll repeat a few things.] 

[You can expect any comments from us in our IC voices to be completely objective.  As ICs, we are honor bound to be helpful and truthful in what we say to you as advice.  Our goal in this game is not to win, but to teach, so we may very well give advice that would be detrimental to ourselves in-game.] 

[Also, please realize that we are also players in this game as you are, and as scum roles were randomly determined, either of us, neither of us, or both of us could be scum.  Don't worry about lynching or NKing one of the ICs; we will give advice even if it has to be from the grave.]

[And, yeah, another quote from Jim, who happened to be IC in the beginner's games I started in.]

Quote from: Jim Groovester, patron saint of ICing
Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

[So, having said that, let's all get to playing.  This is my first time being an IC, so this will be a bit of a learning experience for all.]

Lord Allagon:  If you were a Godfather, would you try and draw suspicion on yourself in order to get inspected? 

Hapah:  It's N1, and you're a scum roleblocker.  No one claimed a role during D1.  How do you pick your target?

Dr. Phibes:  It's N1, and you're a town doctor.  No one claimed a role during D1.  How do you pick your target?

obolisk0430:  You are scum (hypothetically) and your partner is in danger of getting lynched.  Which scenario appeals to you more:  Bussing your scum partner and putting yourself in a more secure (read: appearing town-like) position for a longer game, or making a potentially risky fakeclaim to save your scum buddy and win the game right then and there?

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:22 am »

d
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:57:13 pm by Lord Allagon »
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:55 am »

obolisk0430:  You are scum (hypothetically) and your partner is in danger of getting lynched.  Which scenario appeals to you more:  Bussing your scum partner and putting yourself in a more secure (read: appearing town-like) position for a longer game, or making a potentially risky fakeclaim to save your scum buddy and win the game right then and there?

I would bus them.  I have only ever played one mafia game, in which I was a vanilla townie.  I have no experience playing any power-roles, and therefore I have no confidence in my ability to fake-claim a cop.  Beyond that, if there is a real cop, I would certainly be caught, again, due to my lack of ability to pretend to be a cop.  By the same token, although in the BM I was in, several people, me included, lurked the game into a scum death, I still have some experience playing vanilla townie, and I figure that I would be better at pretending to be a townie for a longer game, especially if bussing my scum partner makes me look better.

Urist:  Suppose you're a cop.  One person has been agressively scum hunting, but doesn't always seem to have good reasons for their attacks.  Another person has been kind of active and helpful, but doesn't really give off any vibes one way or the other.  Another person is really scummy but may just be noob-town.  A fourth person has been lurking.  Which person do you inspect at night.

Shakerag:  Suppose you're a doctor.  One person has been agressivelly scum hunting, but doesn't always seem to have good reasons for their attacks.  Another person has been kind of active and helpful, but doesn't really give off any vibes one way or the other.  Another person is really scummy but may just be noob-town.  A fourth person has been lurking.  Which person do you protect at night.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:28 am »

Jiokuy: If you were a doctor, who would you protect on the first night?
Doctor: Given the general lack of information N1 I would protect A) if scum was lynched, the first player to non random vote him. or B) the second/third most aggressive/confidant player (If I understand correctly that protecting a Mafia=dead doc)
@Jiokuy: It's D2. You are a cop. There is a player aggressively attacking other players, and there is a lurker who has only posted twice in the actual game. Who do you investigate?
C) It is a trick question They're both scum. aggression alone is not a tell, but unwarrented levels of agression plus excessive use of falliacies to support claims can be. same with Lurking it can e a tell, but you should look at the time zones, and make sure they really are lurking, and not just away for a day.

@Dr Phibesit is N3 and you are a Roleblocker.
*A doctor has claimed, but that claim also saved him from a lynch.
*Your scum-pal claimed Cop and two other players are disagagreeing with him, one aggressively/firmly and one passivly tagging along.
*One of the other players claimed Vanilla, and is posting enough not avoid getting called out for lurking without making bold statements.
--Who do you Roleblock; Who do you kill?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

Urist:  Suppose you're a cop.  One person has been agressively scum hunting, but doesn't always seem to have good reasons for their attacks.  Another person has been kind of active and helpful, but doesn't really give off any vibes one way or the other.  Another person is really scummy but may just be noob-town.  A fourth person has been lurking.  Which person do you inspect at night.

I'd inspect the aggressive attacker - if they're town then they've got the right idea, and if they're scum I can stop them from trying to influence the rest into mislynching.

I'll toss a similar situation back at you, obolisk: You're a cop the night before 3 player LyLo. The living players are you, a chronic lurker (who has claimed doctor), a slightly scummy player who frequently jumps on bandwagons, and an aggressive but petty scumhunter who refuses to let go of anything that could be a slip. Who do you inspect?

(If I understand correctly that protecting a Mafia=dead doc)
Not here.

aggression alone is not a tell, but unwarrented levels of agression plus excessive use of falliacies to support claims can be.
Aggressive scumhunting is a fairly reliable towntell - the trick is to figure out whether they're sincere in their efforts or are just looking for a justifiable mislynch.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »

Spent all my (brief, work is killing me) lunch in the Roguelike Mafia, will answer questions after I get off.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:53 pm »

Please spare us the details.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22