_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5932768 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Repair and Rescue
« Reply #22185 on: December 26, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22186 on: December 26, 2013, 01:53:02 pm »

Big important questions.

((Shit, I miss when things were simple. Shoot these people. Rescue those people. Get that thing.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22187 on: December 26, 2013, 01:56:03 pm »

Big important questions.
((Shit, I miss when things were simple. Shoot these people. Rescue those people. Get that thing.))
Wait, missions used to be simple?

It would be kinda hypocritical if we didn't repeal the genetics ban and such despite all our biopunk freaks. Aside from that...we need to make sure we spend enough time at each world to learn of new developments in all fields.
Also, what's the Tech Ban?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22188 on: December 26, 2013, 02:26:32 pm »

Marcius, his hatred softened by this mans words.. For the moment...

"I guess you are correct... And I hope to find these rebel groups soon. But please, now that you know my story, how hath you come to this vessel?"
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22189 on: December 26, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »

((The tech ban is a ban on all or most technological development, especially on weaponry. It's why the literally-thousand-year-old Gauss and laser rifles are still 'current'.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22190 on: December 26, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »

Big important questions.
Wait, missions used to be simple?

It would be kinda hypocritical if we didn't repeal the genetics ban and such despite all our biopunk freaks. Aside from that...we need to make sure we spend enough time at each world to learn of new developments in all fields.
Also, what's the Tech Ban?

((Missions were simple in that they were: Go here, grab that, don't die.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22191 on: December 26, 2013, 03:25:31 pm »

((Things could still be easy for May, nobody is forcing her to participate in the hard discussions. If you want, you can still just wait till somebody tells her what to kill or protect or fetch and let other people carry the responsibility. Though the unavoidable discussions will most certainly foul up the OOC, no escaping that.

Anyways, I think that we should hang on to the tech ban, at least for a while. Since the UWM already has it now, it'd be easy to just continuing with their system, we just look at the institutions and regulations they had and alter it where needed. Then, we can limit who does the potentially dangerous research (weapons, advanced genetics, space magic) by only allowing 'sanctioned' tech labs to do it, for the others the ban would still be in place. Yes, I know of the problems and pitfalls with government-funded research (or companies, or anything really) but we have Steve, a vast distributed intelligence to help us manage things and avoid at least part of the problems that come with maintaining a big empire. We're really lucky to have instant communications in this setting, imagine if we hadn't. That'd be problematic on a gigantic scale.

What I'm fearing most in the tech ban respect is that, while we continue bringing down the UWM, that their control of other planets/systems will wane so much that said planets can declare independence before we get to them. If they then start doing unrestrained !SCIENCE! we could have a real problem there. If I recall well, one of the reasons the Altered strain developed was because unsupervised genehacking went horribly wrong (or horribly right, perhaps).

So yeah, I'd say we try to walk the middle road between complete stagnation and complete freedom. Where this balance lays, and how we enforce this, will be a tough nut to crack.))

And  whats more, how will they react to these efforts, whatever they shall be? How will the leaders of this new government deal with its rebels? Because there will be rebels. And assassins. And political extremists. And Loyalists to the old government. And every shining general of the rebellion will become a gray and monolithic pillar of the establishment, with a bullseye painted on their chest.

(("Each Revolution devours its children."
-Jacques Mallet du Pan, 18th century French journalist-))
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:27:23 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22192 on: December 26, 2013, 04:07:11 pm »

((Missions were simple in that they were: Go here, grab that, don't die.))
((And any of the three steps sometimes lacked massive, very un-simple complications?))

If I recall well, one of the reasons the Altered strain developed was because unsupervised genehacking went horribly wrong (or horribly right, perhaps).
((...What purpose could the Altered have possibly gotten horribly right? It's not even "horribly right" for a weapon system--weapons need to be able to not kill the people using them.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22193 on: December 26, 2013, 05:01:03 pm »

"If you ever do find one of those groups, be warned that they aren't all good or heroic.  Many of them are known for seriously harming innocent people, just because it hurts the UWM.  But anyways, my story..."

Steve pauses for several seconds, collecting his thoughts.

"I am.. was a doctor's assistant to Dr. Anderson, at a hospital.  A pretty cold guy, but he wasn't cruel or anything.  Didn't seem to take his job seriously, but I figured that was just due to him being experienced."

Steve scowls in anger as he continues

"Then, one day, I found out that he had prescribed the wrong medication to five patients.  He had given them an immune system suppressant instead of the strengthener they were supposed to get!  They had serious infections, and they died because of that.  I confronted Anderson about it, and he didn't care!  He said they would probably have died anyway because the infections were already really severe, and he told me not to tell anyone about his mistake, or else he'd ruin my career.  Naturally, I told our employer.  But Anderson told him that I had done it.  It was Anderson's word against mine, and he had been working there for far longer.  So I was arrested for the murder of five people, and Anderson got off scot free."

Steve sighs.

"They put me in a stasis pod, and shipped me to this prison.  But the worst part is that I know Anderson's still working there.  And other people will probably die from his negligence."

((I apologize to the medical people who no doubt winced at inaccuracies while reading that.))

@Sean
Yeah, I was fully aware what I was doing when I named my char Steve.  I figured it could lead to some good/humorous RP.  He'll switch to using "Saint" (his last name) when he realizes there's trouble with that.  I could switch now if it's an actual problem for people, but he acts entirely different from Steve, so I didn't think it would cause trouble.

@The future of ARM Bans
While I have no real say, I support the idea of having sanctioned research labs where all the science is done.  Preferably on remote moons or something, considering the... volatility of ER science.  Other worlds should be very limited, although scientists should be capable of offering to join those science bases.

And when new breakthroughs are made that are proved not to be reality-destroying, they should be released to the public.  That alone is a huge step up from the UWM.

@GWG
Perhaps the Altered were the final step in evolution, perfection.  Perhaps the only reason they "attacked" us, was so that we could be assimilated into the perfect conciousness.  Perhaps our life is a pitiful and torturous mockery when compared to the Altered.  Really, there's too much UWM propaganda for us to know.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22194 on: December 26, 2013, 05:11:15 pm »

"But the worst part is that I know Anderson's still working there.
((Unlikely, it's probably many decades if not centuries after Steve's incarceration.))

@GWG
Perhaps the Altered were the final step in evolution, perfection.  Perhaps the only reason they "attacked" us, was so that we could be assimilated into the perfect conciousness.  Perhaps our life is a pitiful and torturous mockery when compared to the Altered.  Really, there's too much UWM propaganda for us to know.
((Neither evolution nor morality work like that.))
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22195 on: December 26, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »

((Things could still be easy for May, nobody is forcing her to participate in the hard discussions. If you want, you can still just wait till somebody tells her what to kill or protect or fetch and let other people carry the responsibility. Though the unavoidable discussions will most certainly foul up the OOC, no escaping that.))

((It's not even about May. It's everyone as a whole. Watching TV. Having wrestling matches. Jim and Feyri going on dates. Tinkering around. Setting up on-ship tournaments and events. Stuff like that. Now it's all big plans and debating the future of humanity. I miss just being a couple dozen rag tag people trying to survive going to weird places.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22196 on: December 26, 2013, 05:31:46 pm »

((Unlikely, it's probably many decades if not centuries after Steve's incarceration.))

Yeah, I know.  Steve doesn't.  If you're gonna pick apart the timeline errors in that post, I'd figure it would be the first bit about China-9.

Also, the Sword landed on Hephaestus for resupply, so Steve might be a "new" inmate.

((Neither evolution nor morality work like that.))

*sigh* That was sort of parodying the standard hivemind/assimilation villian speech.  And was intended to be very tongu-in-cheek, although there's no good way to denote that.

I also might disagree with you on whether morality works like that.  But that argument would be half semantics, half flames, and all derail, so I won't start it.  :P

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22197 on: December 26, 2013, 05:53:04 pm »

((What I'm wondering is why should we care about those questions, really, or why would Steve ever give us the opportunity to determine any of this. It simply makes no sense, considering that absolutely zero of the current revolutionaries are equipped to make far-reaching decisions on a basically galactic scale. The human mind cannot comprehend the size of the galaxy or even a timeframe longer than two centuries or so, so asking any inmates about empire policy is completely pointless, as their decisions will be uninformed, ineffective and based on reasoning that is rooted in their own prejudices and intellectual limitations.

I mean, I thought the revolution was all Steve's idea, as he is the man with the plan and the brain amalgamation actually equipped to handle all this crap (not to mention that he knows a whole lot about the Altered, has actual experience overseeing vast organizations and acute knowledge of the failings of human self-government on a galactic scale). If he lets us decide all this, what's the point of making a revolution to reshape humanity into a more survivable form in the first place? The convicts sure aren't the ones to ask when you want to know what's wrong with society. None of them even know what the UWM is actually like and how galactic society even works - most or all of them were put in stasis two or more centuries ago, and most of them are also either dangerously unhinged, incompetent, dangerously well-meaning or worse.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22198 on: December 26, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »

*sigh* That was sort of parodying the standard hivemind/assimilation villian speech.  And was intended to be very tongu-in-cheek, although there's no good way to denote that.
((I hate when that happens.))

I also might disagree with you on whether morality works like that.  But that argument would be half semantics, half flames, and all derail, so I won't start it.  :P
((The way I look at it is like this: Is it right to force someone to be a freeman in Hell?))

-snip-
((It's not the place of the characters to decide, but it is the place of the players to contemplate.))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22199 on: December 26, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »

((What I'm wondering is why should we care about those questions, really, or why would Steve ever give us the opportunity to determine any of this. It simply makes no sense, considering that absolutely zero of the current revolutionaries are equipped to make far-reaching decisions on a basically galactic scale. The human mind cannot comprehend the size of the galaxy or even a timeframe longer than two centuries or so, so asking any inmates about empire policy is completely pointless, as their decisions will be uninformed, ineffective and based on reasoning that is rooted in their own prejudices and intellectual limitations.

I mean, I thought the revolution was all Steve's idea, as he is the man with the plan and the brain amalgamation actually equipped to handle all this crap (not to mention that he knows a whole lot about the Altered, has actual experience overseeing vast organizations and acute knowledge of the failings of human self-government on a galactic scale). If he lets us decide all this, what's the point of making a revolution to reshape humanity into a more survivable form in the first place? The convicts sure aren't the ones to ask when you want to know what's wrong with society. None of them even know what the UWM is actually like and how galactic society even works - most or all of them were put in stasis two or more centuries ago, and most of them are also either dangerously unhinged, incompetent, dangerously well-meaning or worse.))
((I'm guessing some sort of Three Laws-type programming.
Also, lift the tech ban! We might get lucky and develop faster FTL.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 ... 2101