_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5937210 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Mission 11: Everyone else.
« Reply #20790 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:24 am »

"Well, I've got two ideas, really.  First would be a better drone with a bit more punch.  Second, would be for a repeating grenade launcher."
I already have the base pattern for the latter here, I just need to swap out the breech mechanism to allow multiple chambers. As for a drone with more punch, you run into two issues: power supply, and weight. The former compounds the latter. However, I could certainly try, I just won't guarantee results on that front.
snip

STEPHEN HAWKING walks over to the techies. "If I may, I could suggest another way to maintain the weight-to-power ratio. Specifically, use older tech. It may seem counterproductive, but something like for example, a gunpowder weapon doesn't require heavy power generation systems to deliver its payload. You could even utilize the "repeating grenade launcher" to some degree if you wanted.
While gunpowder weapons are doubtlessly less powerful then gauss or laser weapons, something equivalent to a magnum should still give decent firepower against any enemy you would reasonably expect a drone to combat. And if that doesn't quite do it for you, you could utilize explosive rounds, or CIF3
or any number of ammunition advancements, while maintaining a decent weight factor."
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20791 on: December 05, 2013, 08:44:11 am »

"Well, I've got two ideas, really.  First would be a better drone with a bit more punch.  Second, would be for a repeating grenade launcher."
I already have the base pattern for the latter here, I just need to swap out the breech mechanism to allow multiple chambers. As for a drone with more punch, you run into two issues: power supply, and weight. The former compounds the latter. However, I could certainly try, I just won't guarantee results on that front.
snip

STEPHEN HAWKING walks over to the techies. "If I may, I could suggest another way to maintain the weight-to-power ratio. Specifically, use older tech. It may seem counterproductive, but something like for example, a gunpowder weapon doesn't require heavy power generation systems to deliver its payload. You could even utilize the "repeating grenade launcher" to some degree if you wanted.
While gunpowder weapons are doubtlessly less powerful then gauss or laser weapons, something equivalent to a magnum should still give decent firepower against any enemy you would reasonably expect a drone to combat. And if that doesn't quite do it for you, you could utilize explosive rounds, or CIF3
or any number of ammunition advancements, while maintaining a decent weight factor."
"I'd have to disagree. Gunpowder weapons are great for single shots, but take the Hand Laser, for instance. It's not any heavier than your typical .50 Magnum handgun, even less so if you strip it down to just the laser and the battery. But it is capable of nearly a minute of sustained fire, where your gunpowder weapon would be limited to just a few shots, and the forces involved necessitate a heavy construction. Add the sheer mechanical complexity in, and you can pretty much see where I'm going with this. Chemically propelled ballistic weapons have probably been phased out for a reason. They have no lasting ability. For a drone, the best armament is an energy weapon.

Or maybe a kinetically amplified ramming attachment. They do have a knack for flying into things.
"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20792 on: December 05, 2013, 08:49:54 am »

((Same here. I'd share with you two if I weren't saving up for that decomp.))
((Memo to noobs: It's well worth a few tokens to give the experienced people with space magic decompensators.))

((anyone know how to use the tables function when posting? i wanna have two columns so i can cross reference piecewise' loot records with my own.))
((It's a bit clumsy. How I miss GitP's tables, with their simplicity and legibility. Different colors for different cells, and you separated cells with vertical lines, and rows with little tags at each end of a line. Or did you just need a line break? Anyways, I also miss their nested spoilers.))
Spoiler: Table Example (click to show/hide)
[/td][/tr][/table]
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20793 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:18 am »

snip

"I'd have to disagree. Gunpowder weapons are great for single shots, but take the Hand Laser, for instance. It's not any heavier than your typical .50 Magnum handgun, even less so if you strip it down to just the laser and the battery. But it is capable of nearly a minute of sustained fire, where your gunpowder weapon would be limited to just a few shots, and the forces involved necessitate a heavy construction. Add the sheer mechanical complexity in, and you can pretty much see where I'm going with this. Chemically propelled ballistic weapons have probably been phased out for a reason. They have no lasting ability. For a drone, the best armament is an energy weapon.

Or maybe a kinetically amplified ramming attachment. They do have a knack for flying into things.
"
Speaking of energy weapons, did you want your Gungnir prototype back? i have thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to see a standardized model added to the armory.

Quote from: GreatWyrmGold
--tables example--
ah cheers, i get it now.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20794 on: December 05, 2013, 09:16:55 am »

But for now I believe it's Zero.

((To save you a lookback, this is correct.  Sorry.))

((No, thank you. I was dreading having to trawl back through it all. But MK1 and a gauss rifle- what's the worst that could happen?))
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20795 on: December 05, 2013, 09:17:22 am »

"That's more or less what I was thinking, Hawking.  Or perhaps cutting out the rocket engines and making a tracked drone or a hovercraft, with a cannon of some kind.  More of a squad-support weapon, rather than an individual weapon.  You could even have it seperated into pieces and assembled where it's needed.

As for a cannon, I was thinking that some kind of explosive shell with a shaped warhead, or perhaps an explosively-formed projectile, would be ideal, as if it can form a jet of high-temperature plasma upon contact with the target, or if it is stopped by a kinetic sink or amp-barrier, it would then produce a lot more stress on the user.  And there's other options as well.

So, overall, I think a drone with perhaps a sixty-millimeter cannon would be very useful.  It could work as a direct-fire weapon, a crew-served weapon, a remote-fired mortar for long-range fire support, etcetera.

As for a personal weapon, I'd also like to see if I can make a laser sidearm with an external energy source.. say a lithium-polymer battery, that you hook on your belt, and the pistol would charge up as you have it holstered.  It would only be good for one shot at a time, but it could be a pretty good shot for such a small weapon."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20796 on: December 05, 2013, 09:33:53 am »

"

"That's reasonable enough, but I don't think anyone has ran out of ammunition in combat.  Besides, which, I want to create a variety of options for combat, rather than just one or two.  A lot of times particular weapons have proven ineffective, and a cannon can use a large variety of ammunition, wheras a laser can only fire one kind of shot.

That said, a laser weapon for the drone chassis would be excellent to have.. as it would be another option, and more options are better."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:00:45 am by Devastator »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20797 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:51 am »

"As for a personal weapon, I'd also like to see if I can make a laser sidearm with an external energy source.. say a lithium-polymer battery, that you hook on your belt, and the pistol would charge up as you have it holstered.  It would only be good for one shot at a time, but it could be a pretty good shot for such a small weapon."
"i have been considering a similar system for a while now, the basic principle was to replace your suits power supply with a tri-phasic generator connected to a high density energy storage medium, this system would allow your suit to idly build up massive quantities of power which could then be directed into the weapons via electromagnetic induction or specialized connection nodes built into the gloves.
The benefit of this system is that you wont need a dedicated power source for each piece of equipment you possess and you can turn your gloves into powerful tasers with only slight modifications."

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20798 on: December 05, 2013, 10:37:42 am »

Quote from: GreatWyrmGold
--tables example--
ah cheers, i get it now.
((You sure? I think I messed up that table pretty badly...somehow...))

"As for a personal weapon, I'd also like to see if I can make a laser sidearm with an external energy source.. say a lithium-polymer battery, that you hook on your belt, and the pistol would charge up as you have it holstered.  It would only be good for one shot at a time, but it could be a pretty good shot for such a small weapon."
"i have been considering a similar system for a while now, the basic principle was to replace your suits power supply with a tri-phasic generator connected to a high density energy storage medium, this system would allow your suit to idly build up massive quantities of power which could then be directed into the weapons via electromagnetic induction or specialized connection nodes built into the gloves.
The benefit of this system is that you wont need a dedicated power source for each piece of equipment you possess and you can turn your gloves into powerful tasers with only slight modifications."

((On the other hand...that generator and the storage medium had better be pretty dang well-armored.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20799 on: December 05, 2013, 10:45:15 am »

((I think the suits are already nuclear powered. Or some other energy from nothing spacefuture tech.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20800 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:13 am »

((IMHO, batteries are likelier for the basic suits.))
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20801 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:37 am »

((Something kept the suits running for the year long mission.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20802 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:58 am »

((Recharges. Or, really long-lasting batteries. Batteries tend to be a lot smaller than (efficient) generators, you know.))
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20803 on: December 05, 2013, 11:41:17 am »

((Even for magic space batteries, that'd be pretty damn impressive to last a year powering a suit.

Though I now recall PW mentioning that the suits did have generators.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20804 on: December 05, 2013, 11:45:11 am »

((Suit life support systems have been stated to be capable of indefinite use. You will starve to death before your suit shuts down. Besides, the gauss generators generate apparently infinite energy, and they fit in a rifle. It would make sense that something similar was installed into the suits.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 ... 2101