_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5931954 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Celebrating one year of Space Based Idiocy
« Reply #14640 on: June 06, 2013, 09:30:01 pm »

Experiments / Analysis!

Experiment 1: Summon a dummy wearing a Mark 1. Remove cooling fins. Observe meltdown!

Experiment 2: Examine the computer systems. In particular, how much load is the computer under in normal conditions, and what sort of communication devices are attached to it, how much storage does it have?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: June 06, 2013, 10:02:18 pm »

Get close to Jim. Try to slash him.

((With no legs?  Hardcore.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: June 06, 2013, 11:44:53 pm »

Ride into next town/settlement.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:59 am »

((I love how people just want Feyri to die without giving any actions for her. Thanks everyone.))

Get to that wash.

((In which I never visualized a wash to be some kind of depression in the ground. Yay.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:20 am »

This is a wash.
((I didn't realize you didn't know what a wash was Tiruin. Admittedly, the term isn't used much anymore, so it's not surprising. I just didn't think about it.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14645 on: June 07, 2013, 10:54:04 am »

Wait quietly.
The Wait Continues
Hey PW, guess what I'm doing!
You charge out into the wash and scream like a mad man.

Just kidding you do nothing.

((I wonder how long she can ignore her hunger. Sure, the adrenaline had kept her mind off of it so far, but now...

EDIT: And yes, I'm loving it too.
Wouldn't it be fun to have an RTD where you participate in short stories or scenarios like that? Maybe have each story be somehow connected to the others and maybe taking place across time from ancient past to far future.
I guess ER kinda is like that already, since each mission is its own unique short story set in an evolving universe, each mission affects the next ones and time dilation offers (one way) time travel opportunities.))
Interesting idea. I'll add it to the list of stuff to look into after I'm done with the three systems I'm currently creating.

((I wonder how long she can ignore her hunger. Sure, the adrenaline had kept her mind off of it so far, but now...

EDIT: And yes, I'm loving it too.
Wouldn't it be fun to have an RTD where you participate in short stories or scenarios like that? Maybe have each story be somehow connected to the others and maybe taking place across time from ancient past to far future.
I guess ER kinda is like that already, since each mission is its own unique short story set in an evolving universe, each mission affects the next ones and time dilation offers (one way) time travel opportunities.))
((No. Because that's a one ticket, premium flight to a very restrictive railroading and gigantic plotholes.

With a good GM, you might be able to maintain a good story and a semblance of choice, but it falls down eventually. It's easier in computer games, but even then it eventually becomes a mess.

And the reason I play these forum games is because I can make choices and do things I'm not able to do in compuer games. I don't think I need to explain the idea of branching storypaths, do I?

Albeit the only way out of this, is to have a static, predetermined world, and simply play each short story as a one-off. What I mean by that, is to have a solid, bold game, but at the end of each time segment announce that everything that happened didn't happen, and is going to be cast aside as an alternate universe. Which is basically what historical fiction writers do when they take different time periods.

PS: Wait, did I just take a contriversial and very complex and deep topic, and boil it down to deterministic statements? Go me!
If anybody wants to me expand (write a several page essay) on any of the many statements I've put above, let me know.))
Oh, I dunno about that. Because here's the thing; the actions of any one individual usually doesn't have a massive effect on the universe, assuming that the universe is significantly large and the stories are not central conflicts that shape the entire fate of the world(s). So it's more then possible to make a large universe and have stories within it that have minor effects on the universe without making any forward planning impossible.

And I  suppose if you want to have the stories have major effects on the universe you can still do it, but it's gonna require careful thinking between each story as to how the universe will be effected. Which isn't that unreasonable either. I used to do a writing exercise like that some times.

((@Harry Baldman: Hey, since you're already interviewing Steve, would you mind if I suggested some fun questions I thought about while reading your interview for you to ask him?))

((Sure, why not. I'm kinda running out of questions myself.))

"Why don't you index disappointment, Steve? Seems like that would be pretty useful. How do you become a healthy cynic in life if you don't do stuff like that, anyway? Why, some people don't do anything other than create unrealistic expectations and then index their inevitable disappointment."

Ask yet more.

>I attempt to remedy the causes of my disappointment immediately rather then simply thinking about it. I learn from my mistakes much faster, you could say. And once I fix the problem, the regret no longer has a purpose. I still keep it in memory; but it's not indexed for easy access, mostly to keep it out of the way.

((I didn't read Multiworld Madness, but if it was anything like what Paris suggested, I think I know (about) what happened.

And I just don't understand people's fascination with time travel. Not only is it often done for no reason, honestly, the themes that canbe presented in a time travel can all be much better introduced in a much easier way without any sleight of hand. To extr... no, just no....I can't do this right now. I need to eat dinner. I need to eat GODDAMN IT!!!........))
The problem with time travel is that it's almost impossible to do interactively, since doing it well requires very careful use of stuff like stable time loops. That is, at least, if you want it to make sense. You can just go nuts with it for the sake of nuts with it and have fun, back to the future style too though.

Get close to Jim. Try to slash him.

Without legs?

Experiments / Analysis!

Experiment 1: Summon a dummy wearing a Mark 1. Remove cooling fins. Observe meltdown!

Experiment 2: Examine the computer systems. In particular, how much load is the computer under in normal conditions, and what sort of communication devices are attached to it, how much storage does it have?
1. Well, with a non living dummy nothing would really happen. Those fins are part of the cooling system for the inside of the suit, not it's power system. So on a non-heat producing body like a dummy it would have no effect, while a human would basically boil themselves alive via their own body heat.

2.The computer in a standard mk is pretty much running at full capacity all the time; it was made exactly powerful enough to handle what it needed to and not an iota more. As per whats attached to it, thats basically just the communication array thats used to talk between suits and the ship. Storage wise it's pretty limited as well; not a lot of need for memory space for what it's doing.

Ride into next town/settlement.
The next town you find along the road is a farming settlement like the one you started in; scattered homes amongst vast fields.

((I love how people just want Feyri to die without giving any actions for her. Thanks everyone.))

Get to that wash.

((In which I never visualized a wash to be some kind of depression in the ground. Yay.))
A wash is basically a man made gully with sloped walls made of dirt or concrete. It's designed to carry water away from populated areas and into basins or rivers. They're common around here so I never thought to explain what they are.

[dex:5]
You hurl yourself into the wash with your good leg and roll all the way to the bottom as several more rounds hiss past you. You reach the bottom and breathe a sigh of relief. You feel like you're safe here, at least for the moment.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14646 on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »

((@Harry Baldman:
((That's a run on sentence. And I don't see how that really changes things from what I said. Every time you change the history, you'll throwing plotholes right and left, and every time you avoid painting yourself into a corner you're going to be devaluing character's actions. And if you're basically doing random missions, I don't see why it has to be time travel. Seems arbitrary. Could easily be accomplished with multiple worlds and multiple realities, or having different planets at different technological levels with teleportation portals between them. Or even different continents on one world.

And I don't see why not. It's not like we have much activity here right now, or we're having a fifty thousand reply epic debate. If anything, Piecewise would probably appreciate stimulating discussion on this topic. Although Piecewise probably knows that better than I do.))
((Sorry, I was writing exactly what I was thinking and I was too tired to fix it after I had finished.

Well, piecewise covered part of what I was going to say.

How can I be throwing plotholes left and right? It's more about recreating the future every time the past is altered significantly then changing some plot to fit the player's actions. I think either I don't understand what you're saying or you've misunderstood what I'm saying. Could you give me an example so that we can clear this up?

And time travel is there  because players like to see their actions have an impact. ER for example has new equipment becoming available based on what people did on a mission. In a game about stories, time travel allows you to see how the stories work out or change based on what you do. And since you, the writer, ultimately has control over when and where the next mission is going to be, you can make sure you have to worry about updating only that 4D section of the universe instead of the entire universe and all of its stories every time. The only thing that would be difficult for the GM is that he has to write down all the info he gives players during missions so that he won't have to search the entire thread every time he posts.))
--time warfare---
((I think the only way this could be done is if you had some form of time travel countermeasures. For example, you can have the ability to "lock" certain time periods or places so that they aren't affected by changes in the timeline (in essence a paradox enabling device) and people with time machines cannot enter or exit them through time travel (to disallow things such as having people arrive in the location a planet will be in 1000 years and then travel 1000 years in the future with an antimatter bomb). Or maybe each faction has a place outside the universe that isn't affected by changes in the timeline and that cannot be accessed by the other factions without doing something hard in the universe first. And then there's the problem that unless there's some space magic involved, the energy required for time travel could be used to do almost anything. Then again, logic and causality went out the window the moment time travel was invented, so that's fine. Then you'd need some reason for the factions to fight, either a rebellion or some ideology.

You'll also need some way to resolve paradoxes, so as to disallow paradoxes. Having the time traveling factions exist outside the universe mitigates that problem somewhat, however this all changes if you start taking living things in your time machine. Maybe the universe somehow heals itself and creates closed time loops so as to solve paradoxes, meaning some of the player's actions get thrown out the window.

Anyway, seems like too much trouble to me for an RTD. It would make a good suggestion game though, with a good writer.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: June 07, 2013, 12:19:49 pm »

Wait quietly.
The Wait Continues
Hey PW, guess what I'm doing!
well lets see, nothing has changed around me, so I'm not changing what I'm doing.

please notify me if I see Feyri.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:53 pm »

--time warfare---
((I think the only way this could be done is if you had some form of time travel countermeasures. For example, you can have the ability to "lock" certain time periods or places so that they aren't affected by changes in the timeline (in essence a paradox enabling device) and people with time machines cannot enter or exit them through time travel (to disallow things such as having people arrive in the location a planet will be in 1000 years and then travel 1000 years in the future with an antimatter bomb). Or maybe each faction has a place outside the universe that isn't affected by changes in the timeline and that cannot be accessed by the other factions without doing something hard in the universe first. And then there's the problem that unless there's some space magic involved, the energy required for time travel could be used to do almost anything. Then again, logic and causality went out the window the moment time travel was invented, so that's fine. Then you'd need some reason for the factions to fight, either a rebellion or some ideology.

You'll also need some way to resolve paradoxes, so as to disallow paradoxes. Having the time traveling factions exist outside the universe mitigates that problem somewhat, however this all changes if you start taking living things in your time machine. Maybe the universe somehow heals itself and creates closed time loops so as to solve paradoxes, meaning some of the player's actions get thrown out the window.

Anyway, seems like too much trouble to me for an RTD. It would make a good suggestion game though, with a good writer.))

((It would be pretty funny if you got a situation where a country goes to war with its future self for technologies they shouldn't have at this point, citing "what are they gonna do, nuke us?" as the primary motivator.))

"So, Steve, how old are you? Does age have any meaning for you, or will you just keep on existing as long as you are properly cared for?"

"Also, what's the coolest, most wickedly awesome alien race you've seen in your endless road trip through the stars?"

Keep on asking.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:36 pm »

Do the following:
Sure.
in response to the question of:
You wanna run there?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: June 07, 2013, 01:19:38 pm »

Alright...

Let's do this. *pops fingers*

Somewhere onboard the ship, a man comes out of cryostasis. He's not a young man. Or a fit one, really. In fact, he's about as old as dirt. Cecil has wrinkles on top of his wrinkles, and possibly another layer of wrinkles underneath those, and even his eyes are hidden behind a pair of incredibly bushy eyebrows. Disoriented, he shuffles through the ship, trying to discern just where he'd ended up. Wasn't he supposed to be in an office. "Eh... Cm'puter? Where 'm I?"
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: June 07, 2013, 02:43:45 pm »

Quote from: Piecewise
Oh, I dunno about that. Because here's the thing; the actions of any one individual usually doesn't have a massive effect on the universe, assuming that the universe is significantly large and the stories are not central conflicts that shape the entire fate of the world(s). So it's more then possible to make a large universe and have stories within it that have minor effects on the universe without making any forward planning impossible.

And I  suppose if you want to have the stories have major effects on the universe you can still do it, but it's gonna require careful thinking between each story as to how the universe will be effected. Which isn't that unreasonable either. I used to do a writing exercise like that some times.
((I think you underestimate just how much sufficiently crafty characters can wreck you world. Especially characters who possess advanced knowledge of future events/world, or stuff like more advanced technologies. And I don't doubt that you can have some fun with the changes in the universe, but don't you think it only works for a limited amount? The more stories you do, the more complex the world becomes, the more stuff you have to keep in mind, the more stuff you have to change. You get where I'm going?

Also, about what I said about time travel, I just want to stress that you were replying to a single sentence of an unfinished tractate.))

((How can I be throwing plotholes left and right? It's more about recreating the future every time the past is altered significantly then changing some plot to fit the player's actions. I think either I don't understand what you're saying or you've misunderstood what I'm saying. Could you give me an example so that we can clear this up?

And time travel is there  because players like to see their actions have an impact. ER for example has new equipment becoming available based on what people did on a mission. In a game about stories, time travel allows you to see how the stories work out or change based on what you do. And since you, the writer, ultimately has control over when and where the next mission is going to be, you can make sure you have to worry about updating only that 4D section of the universe instead of the entire universe and all of its stories every time. The only thing that would be difficult for the GM is that he has to write down all the info he gives players during missions so that he won't have to search the entire thread every time he posts.))
((It all has to do with the complexity of the story. With an easy real-time change, if you cut the rope holding the drawbridge, the bridge will fall down. If you chop down a tree, a tree will fall. With the time travel, you basically have the opposite of that, with the variables to remember multiplied.

Say you're go to an ancient Egypt, bury some treasure in one of the Pyramids, and then go back and dig it out. It will be worth much more than the actual treasure's cost (an example from an actual story). On the surface, it looks pretty good. But if you think about how the treasure seekers spotted treasure, they might be able to spot it because of how the stones sound, and dig it up. Or during #33rd mission, you see the same pyramids, and take that treasure prematurely/for yourself. I don't even know where to go with this time loop. The plothole begins when a player Ira remembers that the said pyramid was actually reconstructed five hundred years after you visited it, meaning you should not have gotten that treasure. And because that reconstruction was briefly mentioned during mission #9, you already forgot all about it by the time mission #33 came up. That example might be faulty, but I hope it as least somewhat presents the problem.

But that's not all to the example. The fun also continues when you carved your name on one of the rock slubs (because that's what players do). And if the DM decides to keep that name to our present day (not just erased by laborers), it can easily become something stupid like "the first graffiti". From then on, it can easily become a self-defeating trap. If you decide to have people studying that graffiti, and have it recorded as the first graffiti ever, you have just added a lot of detail to the game world. Detail to keep track off. And when in mission #40 the players destroyed the old building that was going to become a future mega-corporation office, you will have to update the status of the mega-corporation. Because if you don't, it will be almost as if what you did didn't matter. So if this was a first mission, you could just forget about that building. But in fortieth you will have to keep track of a lot more stuff changed, including random buildings blown up.

The problem with time travel missions, even if you ignore the Butterfly Effect, (Anybody has a better name for this? I hate that term.) you still have to keep track of the details. You say that you have to change something only when stuff is altered significantly, but the devil's in the details. If you follow the Back to the Future model of only caring about the events that you want to care about, you're basically stifling player creativity of what they can do. The player's can't say "Screw those objectives, we think we can manage another way to fix this." because only the things you have selected as important will actually matter. Or they would have to say: "I think it is a better idea to do this, because it will lead to that, which will lead to that." And you either can tell them straight away whether something would work, or "randomly" disappoint them. And it may well make it hard for you to even know the answer, because the detail the player's will be using to accomplish their nefarious plans will ultimately be bigger than the level of detail you're simulating, resulting in really wonky decisions, and feeling of a still world in which the only thing changing is a very specific set of events. (like when facial animators change one aspect of the face without changing the others).

Another way you can deal with the actions having an impact, is to control different characters across the time-spectrum. They'd still have the same stats, but would be in different times.
Or have it like ER when you're traveling across light years.
Or have alternative realities. (I'm actually a big fan of alternate realities.)  You could have worlds in which time flows at a very different speed that in yours, having a multitude of worlds, and so on.
Or give players near-immortality, so they don't have to worry about time.
Not to say that plenty of fictions accomplish that without needing to speed up or slow down time.

Now, about only having to update only a certain section of the universe, I must then ask what the point of even having time travel is.
If you're only going in a certain region once, play an American change stuff as you see fit, and leave never looking back again, then what's the point?
You might as well be traveling across vastly different technologically worlds. Or once again, why even bother keeping the same characters and the whole plot machine? (You know what would help? If I knew you had read the same books as me, because I have when I give an example, and people simply haven't read the book.)

What can be accomplished with time travel that can't be accomplished with something else? And how can that really be called having an impact if you're going to a different section of the world next? In this game, we've had an impact developing new weapons for humanity and uncovering mysteries of the worlds. But did we really see the impact we had on the surviving people of China 9 or that Village? No, at least not any real impact, because we didn't have any missions or anything else there.

And I would actually argue that when you do this kind of Universe jumping, we're dealing as much with alternate universes as with time travel, because each part might as well be it's own self. Especially if you don't update it based on players actions.

--time warfare---

((Once again, even more so than before, we've just changed the theme from time travel to alternate realities. Keep in mind, I have nothing about the latter one, but let's not confuse them. Come to think about it, should I define the line?

Different worlds/realities, is when the "Common World" and the "Realm of Adventure" (bad names, but screw this) exist independently of each other. RoA be completely different, have some similarities, be a rip-off of Native Indians or Japanese, or be basically a copy of a more advanced or primitive time.

Time travel is when the changed in RoA affect the Common World, through the use of a chain of events and consequences.

The main difference here, is that in the "War of Times" that you suggested, by removing the actions of one world affecting the others, you have just pushed it over the line from time travel to the alternative reality. And even if you have the same historical events, and have some characters related to each other, it doesn't change the fact. Those things are symptoms, not key functions of what time travel is based on. Plenty of lazy writers have written alternative worlds with characters might as well related to each other, and historical events that might as well be identical. Does anybody disagree with this definition of time travel and alternative realities?

Also, sorry for being so brief. This topic deserves so much more.))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:46:08 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14652 on: June 07, 2013, 03:47:33 pm »

Quote from: Piecewise

((I think you underestimate just how much sufficiently crafty characters can wreck you world. Especially characters who possess advanced knowledge of future events/world, or stuff like more advanced technologies. And I don't doubt that you can have some fun with the changes in the universe, but don't you think it only works for a limited amount? The more stories you do, the more complex the world becomes, the more stuff you have to keep in mind, the more stuff you have to change. You get where I'm going?

Also, about what I said about time travel, I just want to stress that you were replying to a single sentence of an unfinished tractate.))
Well, I wasn't talking about time travel in that post, and I just assumed that in that short story game things would go in at least mostly chronological order. That or at least set things up where the stories are small and local enough that gaining exploitable knowledge would be hard.

And I dunno bout the second part. I understand your reasoning and yeah, there would be some work keeping track of things, but if done right it shouldn't be too hard. I still think it would be doable. Might need to fudge things every now and again, but nothing terrible.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14653 on: June 07, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »

Say you're go to an ancient Egypt, bury some treasure in one of the Pyramids, and then go back and dig it out. It will be worth much more than the actual treasure's cost (an example from an actual story). On the surface, it looks pretty good. But if you think about how the treasure seekers spotted treasure, they might be able to spot it because of how the stones sound, and dig it up. Or during #33rd mission, you see the same pyramids, and take that treasure prematurely/for yourself. I don't even know where to go with this time loop. The plothole begins when a player Ira remembers that the said pyramid was actually reconstructed five hundred years after you visited it, meaning you should not have gotten that treasure. And because that reconstruction was briefly mentioned during mission #9, you already forgot all about it by the time mission #33 came up. That example might be faulty, but I hope it as least somewhat presents the problem.
((No, unfortunately, I still don't see your problem. In the system I had thought of (well, you couldn't have known that, since I didn't mention it, since I'm still thinking about it) players can't keep objects from the places they travel to unless it's under very specific circumstances.

And since they exist outside of the universe, they aren't affected when the timeline changes. Imagine that as someone running a simulation of a universe, then enter the universe and change some variables at point 5 and update all points necessary after that, then enter the universe and change some variables at point 3 and update all points necessary after that. The one simulating the universe wouldn't be affected. And maybe some of the events of point 5 wouldn't be affected either. And this can be used by the players. Say, for example that you want to do mission choice 5 and you fail miserably but somehow manage to survive your failure. You then decide to do mission choice 3, which turns out to take place before mission choice 5. If you have a good idea, you could influence the future to make mission 5 that much easier. However if you do things wrong, you may make mission choice 5 even harder or even change the place and time mission choice 5 connects to completely.

And if your notes are good, you won't have that sort of problem with forgetting stuff. That's implied on all games. You don't have to involve time travel in order to make the GM forgetting important things be bad for the game.))
But that's not all to the example. The fun also continues when you carved your name on one of the rock slubs (because that's what players do). And if the DM decides to keep that name to our present day (not just erased by laborers), it can easily become something stupid like "the first graffiti". From then on, it can easily become a self-defeating trap. If you decide to have people studying that graffiti, and have it recorded as the first graffiti ever, you have just added a lot of detail to the game world. Detail to keep track off. And when in mission #40 the players destroyed the old building that was going to become a future mega-corporation office, you will have to update the status of the mega-corporation. Because if you don't, it will be almost as if what you did didn't matter. So if this was a first mission, you could just forget about that building. But in fortieth you will have to keep track of a lot more stuff changed, including random buildings blown up.
That's why you keep notes.
The problem with time travel missions, even if you ignore the Butterfly Effect, (Anybody has a better name for this? I hate that term.) you still have to keep track of the details. You say that you have to change something only when stuff is altered significantly, but the devil's in the details. If you follow the Back to the Future model of only caring about the events that you want to care about, you're basically stifling player creativity of what they can do. The player's can't say "Screw those objectives, we think we can manage another way to fix this." because only the things you have selected as important will actually matter. Or they would have to say: "I think it is a better idea to do this, because it will lead to that, which will lead to that." And you either can tell them straight away whether something would work, or "randomly" disappoint them. And it may well make it hard for you to even know the answer, because the detail the player's will be using to accomplish their nefarious plans will ultimately be bigger than the level of detail you're simulating, resulting in really wonky decisions, and feeling of a still world in which the only thing changing is a very specific set of events. (like when facial animators change one aspect of the face without changing the others).
Oh, but on the contrary, the butterfly effect gives the GM the opportunity to be evil creative and combine a seemingly random string of events triggered by the players into a world changing event. Since the world is chaos, if you hide important details (details that some players will notice and try to take advantage of and others won't) and if you give a good enough justification for why things happened the way they happened you can get very interesting scenarios triggered from the player's actions. You can have stuff like the time traveler causing a roof tile to fall on the head of a guard be the start of a bloody revolution that will completely change the future of the planet. Or maybe the time traveller has the objective to retrieve an object in the possession of a certain woman. The time traveler opts to take the easy way out and mug the girl in a dark alley. An unfortunate turn of events causes her death during the mugging. Objective completed the time traveler goes home. When he moves to a future time however hew finds out that the world has been completely altered because that woman was the wife of a scientist working in the Manhattan Project. The scientist, blaming her death to poverty and capitalism, decides to give all his research to the soviets and destroy all duplicates. America is forced to make a bloody war against Japan that drains her of resources and manpower and ultimately leads to the western world loosing the cold war and the establishment of a global soviet regime. (Yes, this example is a bit extreme (and I've probably made some mistakes there since I'm not that good with history) but plausible. I bet I could think of something better.) Or maybe nothing happens because people keep backups and everybody is replaceable. Or maybe something completely different happens. That's what's good with chaos.
Another way you can deal with the actions having an impact, is to control different characters across the time-spectrum. They'd still have the same stats, but would be in different times.
Or have it like ER when you're traveling across light years.
Or have alternative realities. (I'm actually a big fan of alternate realities.)  You could have worlds in which time flows at a very different speed that in yours, having a multitude of worlds, and so on.
Or give players near-immortality, so they don't have to worry about time.
Not to say that plenty of fictions accomplish that without needing to speed up or slow down time.
Controlling many characters is even worse and requires much more upkeep. I don't see how it solves anything.
Why make an ER clone when we have a perfectly good ER right here? This isn't the gaming industry. :P
Alternate realities is kind of fun, but I think Sean is already doing/has already done (I don't know if his game is still active, still reading through it) something like that.
Again, those concepts are interesting but they have either been already done or are not suitable for telling interconnected small stories. Especially with the immortal part, people in this forum would immediately go "I wanna conquer the world with me evil scheme!"
And now I'm starting to think I should go ahead and do that time travel RTD even though there are better options, just to prove you wrong. :P
Now, about only having to update only a certain section of the universe, I must then ask what the point of even having time travel is.
If you're only going in a certain region once, play an American change stuff as you see fit, and leave never looking back again, then what's the point?
You might as well be traveling across vastly different technologically worlds. Or once again, why even bother keeping the same characters and the whole plot machine? (You know what would help? If I knew you had read the same books as me, because I have when I give an example, and people simply haven't read the book.)
I say update only a section of the universe for bookkeeping purposes. It wouldn't make much sense to completely redesign every bit of the future every time someone changes it. Only the bits you require every time. Saves time. If the player asks something about things that have changed then you go ahead and update that. They way I imagine it is a graph/tree thing, each node containing information about a certain topic that has been mentioned before. Edges lead to the topics that depend on that event (past topic->future topic that depends on past topic). Each node has a subjective timestamp, the time it was last updated. So if you need nodes 4,5 and 6 for your current mission you go to the previous nodes, say nodes 3 and 2, gain the necessary information and update nodes 4,5 and 6. And if node 2 also needs updating then you go to node 1 and update node 2 with the information there before using node 2 to update 4,5 and 6. So it's more of a GM thing than a universe thing. Nothing that would be apparent to players, but something that saves you time in a graph of notes that may have hundreds of nodes. Or maybe it doesn't. I don't know, still thinking about that.
What can be accomplished with time travel that can't be accomplished with something else? And how can that really be called having an impact if you're going to a different section of the world next? In this game, we've had an impact developing new weapons for humanity and uncovering mysteries of the worlds. But did we really see the impact we had on the surviving people of China 9 or that Village? No, at least not any real impact, because we didn't have any missions or anything else there.
Read above example where the world changes due to player actions and players see that or even use that. The only problem I have is that with the system I'm currently thinking about the events of missions that have taken place in the future can possibly be overwritten by missions taking place in the past when "updating" the future with actions that change the future radically (say, sinking a continent or killing many, many, many people). It makes sense, however if the players go ahead and shape the world to be a way they want and then they decide to do a mission in the past that radically changes things, some of them will be annoyed while others will like the challenge of a new and unknown world. I guess at that moment it will be kind of a vote between the players. Do they want to risk significantly changing the future while completing their past mission if it is going to make the future radically different and erase their contributions?
And I would actually argue that when you do this kind of Universe jumping, we're dealing as much with alternate universes as with time travel, because each part might as well be it's own self. Especially if you don't update it based on players actions.
Read above explanations and examples.
--time warfare---

((Once again, even more so than before, we've just changed the theme from time travel to alternate realities. Keep in mind, I have nothing about the latter one, but let's not confuse them. Come to think about it, should I define the line?

Different worlds/realities, is when the "Common World" and the "Realm of Adventure" (bad names, but screw this) exist independently of each other. RoA be completely different, have some similarities, be a rip-off of Native Indians or Japanese, or be basically a copy of a more advanced or primitive time.

Time travel is when the changed in RoA affect the Common World, through the use of a chain of events and consequences.

The main difference here, is that in the "War of Times" that you suggested, by removing the actions of one world affecting the others, you have just pushed it over the line from time travel to the alternative reality. And even if you have the same historical events, and have some characters related to each other, it doesn't change the fact. Those things are symptoms, not key functions of what time travel is based on. Plenty of lazy writers have written alternative worlds with characters might as well related to each other, and historical events that might as well be identical. Does anybody disagree with this definition of time travel and alternative realities?

Also, sorry for being so brief. This topic deserves so much more.))
((I do not understand your definition. And I do not understand your problem. I just described a way I thought time warfare would be possible. If you do not somehow constraint time travel in a time war, if there are no time travel countermeasures, then the time war becomes meaningless, either because nothing can change with time travel (the universe automatically cancels out things or creates closed time loops) or everything can change with time travel (change the past just the right way and the time war will never would had happened).))

@Below: Hey, I told him, he's the one that wanted to continue this here.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:06:03 pm by Parisbre56 »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: June 07, 2013, 05:03:28 pm »

((Dudes. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY MAKE A THREAD FOR THAT. IT WOULD BE COOL TO DISCUSS AND YOU'RE DERAILING THIS ONE PRETTY BAD. That is all.))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:11:42 pm by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 2101