_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5931880 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Celebrating one year of Space Based Idiocy
« Reply #14625 on: June 06, 2013, 02:34:13 pm »

Wait quietly.
The Wait Continues
You twiddle your thumbs and wait.

Ask girl what state we're in.
She just cries. Jeez, all you did was kill her family, sexually assault her and then burn her home down. What a drama queen.

Head over to the computers.
You head over to the bank of computers and sit down on one of the swiveling office chairs. You spin in circles a few times while trying to remember what you came here for.

(( Give me an entire medical dictionary and let the int rolls learn completely useless tasks! Like liver transplants! [cue me trying to 'attack' an enemy by performing a liver transplant :P]  And I think I was more after something to study over an injury, rather than a passive bonus. Ah well. I will try to refocus for now. Let's go abuse Tinker! ))

"Denied medical knowledge again. Welp, let's see if the VR can teach me something."

To the VR! Bring up Tinker and a MK I suit.

(( Because I don't want to go dig up all the descriptions of how terrible it is, but I want to fiddle with it's computer. ))
You hop in a VR machine and select tinker, and then a MK I suit.

Run from the people shooting at me! Ideally away and towards some kind of shelter. Hide in the shelter.
The only shelter you see around here; in the cover of this strip mall, are the store fronts. You wanna run there?

You act dead. It's fairly easy.
((Err..No it's actually not if you're with that kind of pain. Unless I'm visualizing a gunsh-gauss rifle round wound differently, playing dead is darn hard.

..Unless I am dead. Err.))
((Seconded.))

I imagine that she's curled in a ball, holding the wound but not moving much and not making much noise. Of course acting believably dead upclose would be difficult, but the shooter is far enough away that as long as feyri isn't screaming or wiggling all over the place, she's passable. And Her current make up is of the type that pain isn't as big of a problem.
((Ahh, that's good to hear. Yay expounded definition! Now I get it.))

Mentally suppress pain.

Try to use senses to dictate where that shot came from, or memory to check the angle and direction of the shooter. If possible, open eyes to check on any nearby areas of cover that I can probably go to.

Assess physical situation. If I were to stand, could I get to any nearby place safely? Would I limp in pain, or would I stumble? How much hurt does that gauss round..hurt?

Judging from when you were shot..the shooter is on the right, higher then you, like on a second floor.  Your back is to it right now, so you can't peek without moving, but you think you know where he is. As per cover...the best would be the wash. You could throw yourself into it and roll to the bottom. If you stay near the ground it should give you some cover. But getting there could be a challenge. Pain shouldn't be too much a problem; this body seems to be pretty robust, but your leg isn't physically gonna hold your weight.

"Steve, do you get a kick out of your job or do you just do it because you feel you have to? It's an important distinction, you see."

"Also, what's the most disappointed you've ever felt in your life?"

Inquire, ask, interview - all that good stuff.

> I enjoy my work. Especially when immensely complex things are pulled off exactly as intended. There is nothing more satisfying then predicting the interaction of a few thousand variables and then seeing it turn out exactly as you expected.

>I don't know. I don't keep such things indexed.

Charles hides and waits.
Very well, it's your turn now. So, tell me, did you see the rock or not?
You wait, listening and watching for some sort of clue.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14626 on: June 06, 2013, 02:45:24 pm »

((@Harry Baldman: Hey, since you're already interviewing Steve, would you mind if I suggested some fun questions I thought about while reading your interview for you to ask him?))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:15 pm »

Wait quietly.
The Wait Continues
Hey PW, guess what I'm doing!
((Loving this. Somehow this reminds of the ongoing xkcd comic Time. Go figure.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14629 on: June 06, 2013, 04:13:48 pm »

((I wonder how long she can ignore her hunger. Sure, the adrenaline had kept her mind off of it so far, but now...

EDIT: And yes, I'm loving it too.
Wouldn't it be fun to have an RTD where you participate in short stories or scenarios like that? Maybe have each story be somehow connected to the others and maybe taking place across time from ancient past to far future.
I guess ER kinda is like that already, since each mission is its own unique short story set in an evolving universe, each mission affects the next ones and time dilation offers (one way) time travel opportunities.))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:28:05 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: June 06, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »

Sure. What's the wo--no, no, bad GWG.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »

((@Harry Baldman: Hey, since you're already interviewing Steve, would you mind if I suggested some fun questions I thought about while reading your interview for you to ask him?))

((Sure, why not. I'm kinda running out of questions myself.))

"Why don't you index disappointment, Steve? Seems like that would be pretty useful. How do you become a healthy cynic in life if you don't do stuff like that, anyway? Why, some people don't do anything other than create unrealistic expectations and then index their inevitable disappointment."

Ask yet more.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: June 06, 2013, 04:45:32 pm »

((I wonder how long she can ignore her hunger. Sure, the adrenaline had kept her mind off of it so far, but now...

Wouldn't it be fun to have an RTD where you participate in short stories or scenarios like that? Maybe have each story be somehow connected to the others and maybe taking place across time from ancient past to far future.
I guess ER kinda is like that already, since each mission is its own unique short story set in an evolving universe, each mission affects the next ones and time dilation offers (one way) time travel opportunities.))
((No. Because that's a one ticket, premium flight to a very restrictive railroading and gigantic plotholes.

With a good GM, you might be able to maintain a good story and a semblance of choice, but it falls down eventually. It's easier in computer games, but even then it eventually becomes a mess.

And the reason I play these forum games is because I can make choices and do things I'm not able to do in compuer games. I don't think I need to explain the idea of branching storypaths, do I?

Albeit the only way out of this, is to have a static, predetermined world, and simply play each short story as a one-off. What I mean by that, is to have a solid, bold game, but at the end of each time segment announce that everything that happened didn't happen, and is going to be cast aside as an alternate universe. Which is basically what historical fiction writers do when they take different time periods.

PS: Wait, did I just take a contriversial and very complex and deep topic, and boil it down to deterministic statements? Go me!
If anybody wants to me expand (write a several page essay) on any of the many statements I've put above, let me know.))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:48:31 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: June 06, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »

((No. Because that's a one ticket, premium flight to a very restrictive railroading and gigantic plotholes.

With a good GM, you might be able to maintain a good story and a semblance of choice, but it falls down eventually. It's easier in computer games, but even then it eventually becomes a mess.

And the reason I play these forum games is because I can make choices and do things I'm not able to do in compuer games. I don't think I need to explain the idea of branching storypaths, do I?

Albeit the only way out of this, is to have a static, predetermined world, and simply play each short story as a one-off. What I mean by that, is to have a solid, bold game, but at the end of each time segment announce that everything that happened didn't happen, and is going to be cast aside as an alternate universe. Which is basically what historical fiction writers do when they take different time periods.))
((Which was more or less the core of Multiworld Madness... but I think the less said of it the better. MM needs a GM that can actually run it...))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:05 pm »

((I didn't read Multiworld Madness, but if it was anything like what Paris suggested, I think I know (about) what happened.

And I just don't understand people's fascination with time travel. Not only is it often done for no reason, honestly, the themes that canbe presented in a time travel can all be much better introduced in a much easier way without any sleight of hand. To extr... no, just no....I can't do this right now. I need to eat dinner. I need to eat GODDAMN IT!!!........))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:54:32 pm by Thearpox »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: June 06, 2013, 05:11:24 pm »

((Metabolic requirements ARE annoying, aren't they?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14636 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:32 pm »

((Noah, you're thinking about stuff like story and universe very narrowly. If you plan everything and restrain everyone then sooner or later you're gonna end up either writing yourself into a boring corner or making a game that takes itself too seriously to be fun.

I was thinking of something more open. Make a kind of interesting universe that gives you a lot of opportunities (the hard part, this also means historical accuracy is most likely to go out the window, best choice is probably to give little to no exposition and have people discover about the universe by interacting with it), find an excuse for people keeping their stats (and maybe some items) between missions and then make a few Pilot plots and give them to the players to choose. Each time a mission is completed the world is updated and...

Oh, I just had an idea. You're a group of people and you somehow arrive at a universe you know nothing about and you have this machine thatgives you a few sentences of information about what happens in that time and you choose a location and go there and do things and change history so that when you revisit a time period everything has changed or maybe it hasn't and maybe you have an objective something you try to do while you're in that time and you have a time limit and some things that are dangerous to you...

Here's an idea for something to do when the exams are over... Anyway this isn't the place to have this conversation.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: June 06, 2013, 05:39:40 pm »

((Well, the time travel can be a nice theme of itself, I believe. Not sure how that could be accomplished, but I am fairly sure a good GM would cope with the task- it's just that after each session all of the chronologically later episodes have to be reworked, either in debriefing-like fashion by GM or by GM together with the players. It gets easier with often proposed 'time inertia' (or whatever it is called - just when any time traveller has a sort of natural rubber-band that prevents him from changing history too much), but that is not really needed.

One more thing which could be brilliantly done - and one which I've longed for some time already - is the (sensibly approached, of course) time-travel warfare. There might be some need of restrictions on it, such as "the history prior to the creation of the time-machine cannot be approached" or "one cannot travel in time before the beginning of time" (i.e. before the big bang/creation of the world/whatever) or even, perhaps, technically equivalent to both previous options, "the world - and time travel - have always existed, and will always exist". Still, if done properly, it could be very much fun, don't you think?

EDIT: Or what Paris said. :) ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: June 06, 2013, 06:43:01 pm »

--Second paragraph--
((Giving people little exposition is a good idea, but it only extends the inevitable.))

Oh, I just had an idea. You're a group of people and you somehow arrive at a universe you know nothing about and you have this machine thatgives you a few sentences of information about what happens in that time and you choose a location and go there and do things and change history so that when you revisit a time period everything has changed or maybe it hasn't and maybe you have an objective something you try to do while you're in that time and you have a time limit and some things that are dangerous to you...

Here's an idea for something to do when the exams are over... Anyway this isn't the place to have this conversation.))
((That's a run on sentence. And I don't see how that really changes things from what I said. Every time you change the history, you'll throwing plotholes right and left, and every time you avoid painting yourself into a corner you're going to be devaluing character's actions. And if you're basically doing random missions, I don't see why it has to be time travel. Seems arbitrary. Could easily be accomplished with multiple worlds and multiple realities, or having different planets at different technological levels with teleportation portals between them. Or even different continents on one world.

And I don't see why not. It's not like we have much activity here right now, or we're having a fifty thousand reply epic debate. If anything, Piecewise would probably appreciate stimulating discussion on this topic. Although Piecewise probably knows that better than I do.))

((One more thing which could be brilliantly done - and one which I've longed for some time already - is the (sensibly approached, of course) time-travel warfare. There might be some need of restrictions on it, such as "the history prior to the creation of the time-machine cannot be approached" or "one cannot travel in time before the beginning of time" (i.e. before the big bang/creation of the world/whatever) or even, perhaps, technically equivalent to both previous options, "the world - and time travel - have always existed, and will always exist". Still, if done properly, it could be very much fun, don't you think?
((That... sounds jarring. Time travel warfare?  I don't want to discourage you ideas, but assuming that it's a single world/confederation fighting itself, (otherwise there isn't much new to the idea, you'll just have your travelers from the future playing cavalry.) tell me how you're planning to solve the problem of children dying today resulting in there being changes in the future's army, and also the technology difference.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:09 pm »

Get close to Jim. Try to slash him.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 2101