_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5932121 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Anomaly in the box
« Reply #11085 on: December 18, 2012, 02:08:46 pm »

Carefully implement the game engine now, according to the plan.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: December 18, 2012, 03:23:12 pm »

Drive back to UWM lines and encourage UWM!

"Soldiers of the UWM! We must hold firm against the Altered horde! Today we turn the tide! We will show them the power of the UWM! We are no strangers to war! At first we fought for freedom. We fought for resources. That all changed when the Altered happend. Now we will hold the line! With oue lives if need be! Soldiers, pilots of the human race! Stand firm! Stand strong! And bring back the hope of Humanity!"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: December 18, 2012, 04:24:02 pm »

((Now that the subject of the Altered Wars has been brought up, I always found it curious that they could ever have posed any kind of major threat to humanity. I mean, the concept is really cool, but doesn't seem very plausible. But then again, this is a sci-fi roleplaying game, plausibility got thrown out of the window long ago. Or it got grinded to space dust to spice our food, regarding the setting.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:30 pm »

((I imagine it plausible, due to the fact it was like a pandemic. Sure, the Altered could move with biomechanic ships, but the major problem is that genetic enhancement was widespread at that time and humanity was apparently more connected than in the current times. So, humans with the Altered genes were around in almost every planet inhabited by humans (and I suppose that more even so in the larger planets), and they kept spawning more.

So, humankind could not be destroyed totally, but all that would be left were far and spread colonies dependants on the resources of other planets which would stop sending said resources due to the Altered infestation.))
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:17:09 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: December 18, 2012, 05:22:15 pm »

((Was Hexbarax basically the Altered Wars Battle of Midway? Or something similar?))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11090 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:13 pm »

Carefully implement the game engine now, according to the plan.
[aux:3+1+1]

You program in your new game engine just the way you want, however that is.

Drive back to UWM lines and encourage UWM!

"Soldiers of the UWM! We must hold firm against the Altered horde! Today we turn the tide! We will show them the power of the UWM! We are no strangers to war! At first we fought for freedom. We fought for resources. That all changed when the Altered happend. Now we will hold the line! With oue lives if need be! Soldiers, pilots of the human race! Stand firm! Stand strong! And bring back the hope of Humanity!"

"Soldiers of the UWM! We must hold firm against the Altered horde! Today we turn the tide! We will show them the power of the UWM! We are no strangers to war! At first we fought for freAHHHHHHHHH IT'S EATING MY SKULL!"

This goes poorly.

((Now that the subject of the Altered Wars has been brought up, I always found it curious that they could ever have posed any kind of major threat to humanity. I mean, the concept is really cool, but doesn't seem very plausible. But then again, this is a sci-fi roleplaying game, plausibility got thrown out of the window long ago. Or it got grinded to space dust to spice our food, regarding the setting.))
((I imagine it plausible, due to the fact it was like a pandemic. Sure, the Altered could move with biomechanic ships, but the major problem is that genetic enhancement was widespread at that time and humanity was apparently more connected than in the current times. So, humans with the Altered genes were around in almost every planet inhabited by humans (and I suppose that more even so in the larger planets), and they kept spawning more.

So, humanking could not be destroyed totally, but all that would be left were far and spread colonies dependants on the resources of other planets which would stop sending said resources due to the Altered infestation.))

Well, the Altered are really quite nasty things, but a big part of the problem was that there was no overarching ruling or planning body to organize a resistance. So the Altered strain emerged all over the place, all at once, and ran rampant with very little organized resistance. Thats why the UWM came into being, as a collection of military officials working to mount a combined and organized resistance.  So a large part of the reason the Altered strain was such a problem was simply because we were completely unready for it and reacted to it way too slowly.

Thats not to say the Altered aren't terrible things. They reengineer themselves and grow so fast and so effectively that if a single cell survives it can regrow and become an active global threat in days. I mean hell, Once they turned a planet's atmosphere into freaking Chlorine gas and the Altered started breathing it and eating rocks within a day and a half. And once they have a planet they just start converting the entire mass of the planet into more altered, slowly eating it away to make more and more altered.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:23 pm »

Thats not to say the Altered aren't terrible things. They reengineer themselves and grow so fast and so effectively that if a single cell survives it can regrow and become an active global threat in days. I mean hell, Once they turned a planet's atmosphere into freaking Chlorine gas and the Altered started breathing it and eating rocks within a day and a half. And once they have a planet they just start converting the entire mass of the planet into more altered, slowly eating it away to make more and more altered.

((Organic Grey Goo (pink goo?)))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11092 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:15 pm »

((Organic Grey Goo (pink goo?)))
If the gray goo was omnicidal and coordinated.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: December 19, 2012, 12:38:51 am »

Well, it's going to be complicated. Later, as well.
Get to the tinker. Look up the list of modern smallest directly-operated military space craft (i.e., what would correspond to fighters/bombers/etc. in air warfare).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: December 19, 2012, 04:48:59 am »

((One of my problems with it, and I have that problem with stuff like Tyranids as well, is that it is impossible to 'create' effective biomass out of humans or other organic beings like the way these races seem to do. And the fact that the UWM didn't just nuke planets like Hexbarax to dust is curious as well. And the way they spread to new planets, with meteors if I recall correctly, would be impossibly slow (although one could probably technobabble himself out of that one). ))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: December 19, 2012, 07:20:56 am »

((Didn't he say they were already on most planets when the war started, though?))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:04 am »

(( The original Altered were humans, so they must have known of the conventional FTL-drives used by humanity and could either use them as is, or add some more eldritch abomination-stuff and use them as properly Altered technology. After all, even the modern-day UWM use giant rocks as material for their capital ships, right? ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11097 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:44 am »

((One of my problems with it, and I have that problem with stuff like Tyranids as well, is that it is impossible to 'create' effective biomass out of humans or other organic beings like the way these races seem to do.))
((Every bit of carbon and hydrogen can be converted into or utilized by something living with enough energy and your body is mostly carbon and hydrogen. All the Altered needed to do was to get one of their cells inside you. As they multiplied they would eat you from the inside out, hijacking parts of your body as they do it and modifying them to suit their own needs (much like a virus or bacteria), before those too are eaten.))
((And the fact that the UWM didn't just nuke planets like Hexbarax to dust is curious as well.))
((The UWM would probably not want to destroy a habitable world without at least trying to reclaim it (habitable worlds that have the 'just right' conditions for humans are not so common).))
((And the way they spread to new planets, with meteors if I recall correctly, would be impossibly slow (although one could probably technobabble himself out of that one).))
((With the resources of a solar system at your disposal, making a few asteroid sized traveling-near-light-speed ships isn't that hard, if the Altered have the intelligence for it. The UWM Titans are made from asteroids. And they are currently being used to combat planet sized fungi.))

((The only problem I see with the altered is that a) they would require large ammounts of food to survive without hibernating b) they can re-engineer themselves, although it can be explained if they have psychic powers or other such space magic or have DNA-altering powers like the "alien" described in this book.))

((Of course this is only speculation since nobody knows how the altered work. Except perhaps for the Doctor.))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:38:37 am by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: December 19, 2012, 08:59:29 am »

((I think piecewise did mention some planets were nuked and fired upon until they were nothing but dust. But I suppose others (Hexbarax not on that list, thanks to Toaster's link!) were just too important to lose.

I also don't know if humankind made the planets habitable through terraforming (and how expensive and time-consuming this would be) or if they just found them basically ready to house life, so there's that as well.))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:04:16 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: December 19, 2012, 09:01:10 am »

((They tried.))

Hexbarax, a mostly industrial planet, marked the sight of one of the longest, bloodiest and most important victories. One of the original planets infected, Hexbarax was also the main source of the Fleshships and altered coated meteors-plague rains- which had so effectively infected many planets. When attempts to destroy the planet via long range bombardment failed the military began a ground war in which 12 billion men and women lost their lives. In the end, they drove the hordes back and with then help of low orbiting laser bombardment purged the planet.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 2101