_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5931777 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Anomaly in the box
« Reply #11025 on: December 14, 2012, 04:54:32 pm »

((the UWM would probably love the Orion battleship.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11026 on: December 14, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »

((You weren't here when Steve fired the Sword's main cannons at that planetoid, were you?

It was reduced to gravel.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11027 on: December 14, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

See how many Project orion battleships would be needed to stop the altred invasion.

((The orion battleship has a casaba howeitzer, which for lack of a better term shoots nuclear flame. Also is armed with 500 20 megaton warheads. And to think it was possible to build. and practical. look it up if you need any better info. looks like this
Stop it from getting there or just to cleanse the planet?

(( Yeah, it absolutely makes sense. Then what about connecting the brain to other (human) brains? Including, but not limited to, using someone (in the loose sense of 'someone') as that middle man?

Also, by the way, wouldn't that alteration of the brain streamline the use of amps as well? Just curious. ))

When it comes to connecting to and overriding the higher brain functions of another brain then yeah, thats totally possibly, in fact there are several amps that do that. This assumes their brain is similar enough to your own of course. You can probably get limited control with non-similar brains, but nothing too in depth.

As per using it as a middle man I assume you're talking about using a modified brain to connect to a machine and then connecting your own brain to that modified brain?

And as per the amp thing, It wouldn't help you use the amp so much as it would just make it easier for the amp to use you. Ie it would lower will expenditures for actions. Possibly by several times. However it would have a pretty drastic effect on the person.

((You weren't here when Steve fired the Sword's main cannons at that planetoid, were you?

It was reduced to gravel.))

Yay for Tungsten core gauss rounds the size of mobile homes accelerated to significant values of c! 

Also for the field manipulators that make that possible.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11028 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »

Pull up the price for a magnetically driven hook, and the price of the permanent anchors.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11029 on: December 14, 2012, 06:11:31 pm »

((Gotta love c-frac velocities.

Going with the very conservative estimates of a 5 short ton projectile at 25% of c, you end up with 1.273963e19 joules of kinetic energy. That's just over the energy release of a 9.5 earthquake on the Richter scale.

By comparison, the Tsar Bomba device yielded 2.1e17 joules, about 50 megatons of TNT. The 9.5 quake is about 3 gigatons.))
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:14:58 pm by PyroDesu »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: December 14, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »

Stop it from getting there. Then do it again but clense the planet.

((@pyro: that...just went right over my head.  :D))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11031 on: December 14, 2012, 06:33:33 pm »

((Math is your friend, and this is just basic algebra, but with massive numbers.

Ke=0.5m*v^2.

m=4535.92kg (5 short tons)
v=74948114.5m/s (299792458m/s(speed of light in a vacuum)*0.25)

0.5(4535.92)*(74948114.5)^2=1.273963e19))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11032 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:54 pm »

Pull up the price for a magnetically driven hook, and the price of the permanent anchors.
The "Hookshot" itself is fairly cheap, 4  tokens. The Anchors are three for  token.

Stop it from getting there. Then do it again but clense the planet.

I'm pretty sure you can't stop it. See, The Altered had this terrible habit of just bombarding the planet with a combination of living starships and hollowed out asteroids with fleshy cores. They basically bombed a word with themselves, infecting it and then spreading. I'm not sure about the capacities of these Orion ships, but I don't think they could stop a hail of thousands of asteroids.

As per cleansing the planet, you'd need enough nukes to basically obliterate the entire surface of the planet. Which is what the UWM usually did. But with 20 megaton bombs? Thats gonna be a hell of a lot of bombs. Lemme do a quick check here...4.15 mile/6.68km radius of 15 psi pressure from a 20 megaton bomb...surface area of earth at 148,847,000 km....

About 22 million bombs.  OR about 44,000 ships.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »

Pull up a "hookshot" and fire it at a ceiling. Measure how fast the retract is.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: December 14, 2012, 11:57:40 pm »

(( Yeah, I guessed the changes would be very drastic.

As per connecting, I meant less "overriding" and more "exchanging data" - as in talking, only more quickly and efficiently.

As per middle man, either, yes, connecting to a properly altered brain (maybe there are still parts of it which would still use the same, eh, thoughts extension?), or a (largely?) unaltered brain, trained to live under the maddening conditions of information being dumped into non-sensory channels (I guess that way it'd bear striking similarities to some of Alice's Wonderland inhabitants - mad, knows about it, finds it perfectly fine ;) ). I have no idea if any of these two variants could possibly work, though. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: December 15, 2012, 02:39:49 am »

Consider the prospects of "Nyar's space magicy".

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11036 on: December 15, 2012, 06:57:39 am »

((Heard of gunbuster?))

See how a space battle between the UWM and Zeon would be like. Then see who would win Gunbuster humanity or the UWM.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11037 on: December 15, 2012, 12:23:54 pm »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11038 on: December 15, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »

Pull up a "hookshot" and fire it at a ceiling. Measure how fast the retract is.
5 feet or so a second.

(( Yeah, I guessed the changes would be very drastic.

As per connecting, I meant less "overriding" and more "exchanging data" - as in talking, only more quickly and efficiently.

As per middle man, either, yes, connecting to a properly altered brain (maybe there are still parts of it which would still use the same, eh, thoughts extension?), or a (largely?) unaltered brain, trained to live under the maddening conditions of information being dumped into non-sensory channels (I guess that way it'd bear striking similarities to some of Alice's Wonderland inhabitants - mad, knows about it, finds it perfectly fine ;) ). I have no idea if any of these two variants could possibly work, though. ))
It depends on what you want to share. I mean, you could very easily share visual information, seeing through each other's eyes, as it were, but logical thoughts are harder. It's possible to just connect up to minds and transfer thoughts but unless both people are very careful, you could get thought and memory bleed.

And you can't really go half way with the brain altering. It's all or nothing.

Consider the prospects of "Nyar's space magicy".
Well, it could provide you with an object of great power. Or it could kill you. Or it might do both....

((Heard of gunbuster?))

See how a space battle between the UWM and Zeon would be like. Then see who would win Gunbuster humanity or the UWM.

Let me ask you something. Can The zeon's or Gunbusters causally wipe out all life on a planet? And I don't mean mad max style, I mean fucking glass a bitch. Because I don't know much about either, but they don't seem to be that much of a threat in the end.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:31:07 pm by piecewise »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: December 15, 2012, 05:00:01 pm »

((well Gunbuster Human goes from in about 40-50 years basically whats in iron sky to FTL capable ships with homing lazers and planets get killled by accident. and turn jupiter into a black hole bomb. and all while fighting space monsters in the billions. and held of 12 million of them with whats basically in Iron sky.))

Fight!
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 2101