_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5938063 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: It's pronounced "Franc-en-steen"
« Reply #3165 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:53 am »

As the stasis pod hisses open, Simus drops to the floor, landing on her three artificial limbs, her remaining arm clutched to her chest as she coughs and hacks, clearing the last traces of suspension from her system.

Damnation! They said that wasn't going to be pleasant, and they weren't wrong.

She starts pawing around, looking for her effects, she knew that someone had put her vision-correcting goggles somewhere near the pod. Finding them in a box nearby, she sighs as she straps them on, hiding her eyes from the world.

That's better. A pity they'd only let me bring these and my spare pair, and even then, only because I'm half-blind without.

Look around for any clothing, put it on, and find some kind of directions around the area.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: June 26, 2012, 05:34:31 am »

I do know your pain, young lady. I've had serious short-sightedness for a half of my life, after all. Oh, don't be afraid, I'm not looking - just listening.
Maurice continues putting the clothes on as he keeps looking away from the source of the voice.
Here are the clothes, if you were looking for those, by the way.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:01 am »

Thanks.

I've known the slight annoyance that is my very advanced myopia since I was a teen. So, not that long, really.

Put on the clothes that were pointed out to me.

Alright, now that I'm decent, where the hell am I? All I know about where I am is what the courts told me, and that's just that it's HMRC.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: June 26, 2012, 06:03:02 am »

Same here, plus the fact that a biocomputer (made of 'whats left of the brains of the unit before us') named Steve is in charge here - some kind of hypnotic introduction, I guess. Well, I suppose this is a ship, and one of the HMRC missions will commence soon - otherwise it would've been inefficient to wake us now, and the UWM government is all about efficiency above humanity, from my experience.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: June 26, 2012, 06:15:07 am »

A wetware AI? How bizarre, although it is the HMRC, if they had anything left, they do something with it.

UWM all about efficiency above humanity? Not in my experience. To me, it's just the Magisters getting what they want, damn the costs, human or otherwise. But, enough of that, I don't argue in politics.

Ah, I'm Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis, by the way. Most non-Altairians call me Simus, though.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:02:42 am by PyroDesu »

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:44 am »

((Renen))

Reset, try again.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: June 26, 2012, 07:12:20 am »

Maurice Sanctor, but you may call me whatever you like. Used to be called 'dr. Sanctor', but I guess they stripped me of my medical license when I got shipped here, so it shoudn't matter.
It is a pleasure to meet you, Simulacrus.
Past Sigs

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: June 26, 2012, 07:36:12 am »

"And hello Feyri, I'll talk to you later if you want, I've got to go check some stuff out first."
"Finally.

Bishop, I- hey wait!"

Follow him to the VR and...get into tinker mode with the first thing to do being looking at the weapon schematics on the Laser Rifle//Cutting Laser

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 26, 2012, 07:38:13 am »

Licenses probably don't matter much around here anyways, Doctor. Although I know for sure that all of my permits were stripped before I even got here, the courts made sure of that.

Now, Let's see what else they've got here for us, surely it's not just a stasis room and briefing room.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: June 26, 2012, 07:42:45 am »

I have no objections to that. Maurice smiled warmly.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3175 on: June 26, 2012, 11:52:03 am »

Right, so she had her stuff! April decided that she would explore what she could of the ship!
You wander around, finding the Rec room and mess hall, the infirmary, and the entrance of a laboratory.

Metaphorically speaking, Jim shook his head and tsked. Factually speaking, he threw a knee up toward the man's groin.
[dex:2]
[man dex:6]
[man str:2]
You try to drive your knee up into the man's groin but end up simply clipping the outside of his leg. The man continues to try and gouge your eyes out, and continues to fail at it.

"Layers huh... I see... One last question; How thick do the layers have to be in order for it to work properly?

And hello Feyri, I'll talk to you later if you want, I've got to go check some stuff out first."

After getting my answer, thank her again and head to the VR machines, hop in one, and fire up tinker. Bring up battleship plate and it's specific details about it's tensile strength, resistance to warping and breaking as well as it's weight, highest and lowest temperatures that it can handle and cost. Bring up a visual sample of a typical plate of the stuff with a cross-section of it so I can have a look at the layers and how thick they are.
"Depends on how much force you want to block. And what kinds of force."

You shrug and head back to the VR machine and pull up "battleship plate" on the computer. What it gives you is a nearly 15 foot thick layer cake of metals. Huh. As per it's specific details, it varies per layer, with each layer serving some purpose.

Alright, interesting idea. Lets look at the problems that you'll incur. First, that plate you're gonna have the force transferring into is gonna be damaged pretty rapidly, since the force will be focused into a very small point. And the second problem is that spring thing. It will work to dampen the force, thats true, but that also means making that push less effective for the purpose of jumping. So in order to get that 10 foot jump, you'll need to use more force until the point that you basically bypass any effect from the spring.

Hm, the main problem seems to be that energy spent compressing the spring itself can't be effectively used with this design, as the spring will exert an equal force on both sides of the casing. That means that the actual push comes from the energy that gets sent through the compressed spring... so the spring effectively reduces and lengthens the push. That could be solved by carefully increasing both the force itself and the spring resistance... which leads into the problem of the metal plate getting destroyed with each use.

Hm... I don't see a good solution to this. Perhaps someone else in the VR will have some ideas.

"This is Kyle, sending a message to all current VR users. I'm testing a kinetic amp jetpack design, but I've run into a couple of problems that are somewhat difficult to work around. I need a way to take a concentrated, near-instant force, and spread it out into a longer, less deadly push without losing any of the energy involved. Message me if you have any ideas."

Download the microwave manipulator and kinetic amp manuals and read them over, checking for any features I might have missed. In particular, can the manipulator work in reverse to quickly freeze an object?
You attempt to bring up the manuals for the two manipulators, but can't find any. How odd.

Thank you.
Look around for the 'CLOTHING' box, and put on the clothes. Wander around the ship in the search of a bathroom or a room with a mirror together with Simulacrus. Note for later places where a mirror can be found.
You put on your clothing and note that there's a mirror in the bathroom in the barracks.

((Renen))

Reset, try again.
You reset the simulation and find yourself face to face with yourself.Again.

"And hello Feyri, I'll talk to you later if you want, I've got to go check some stuff out first."
"Finally.

Bishop, I- hey wait!"

Follow him to the VR and...get into tinker mode with the first thing to do being looking at the weapon schematics on the Laser Rifle//Cutting Laser
You look for schematics for the laser rifle and cutting laser in the vr machine but don't find any. The closest you get is an "explode" option which will deconstruct an object and show its component parts.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 26, 2012, 12:04:16 pm »

"Right... Let's take it from the top."

Bring up details on each individual layer. What does what best? Which is the best at temperature resistance? Which is the strongest? What do the others do?

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: June 26, 2012, 12:15:27 pm »

Destroy the f*cking bot's gut with heat.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »

Issue statement > Steve

"Steve, you don't put manuals around for those who are using weapons, right? Why do you let us tinker with them in this way?"

Feyri was surprised by the lack of doctrine, but at least this gave her an idea.

"They say lasers can damage anything, and nothing is ever truly resistant to them...Hmm."

A laser oscillator. Intriguing.

Enter VR on anything that resembled a tinker simulation.

Explode: 1 Laser Rifle for the purposes of making an F.E.L.

Request: Eye-shields.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: June 26, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »

(( I assume the layout of the area we are restricted to is now considered known by us, right?))
Pay a visit to the armory and examine the lists of available equipment.
Good day to you, madam. You are the person who is in charge of the armory, I assume? Could you please tell, of all the instruments in the emergency kit, is there anything that could be used as a melee weapon - say, a scalpel? I'm not sure how good the protective equipment we're going to use (or the hides of our enemies) is. Or maybe you could suggest some kind of a knife, capable of penetrating those - that could also be used for other, to be specific, medical purposes? Some kind of a monoatomic weapon that doesn't vibrate and relies on cutting instead, maybe?
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 2101