_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5936412 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: It's pronounced "Franc-en-steen"
« Reply #3150 on: June 25, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »

((Yeah, I was hoping to be able to use it to power anything foreign we encounter as well.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: June 25, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »

Jim continued to press the attack, taking the knife lower and going for the man's stomach while he was hopefully distracted by slash on his neck.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: June 25, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »

April heads to the armory first.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: June 25, 2012, 05:36:37 pm »

Can I just get the test results of doing it all at once, please? I might not be able to make 50 foot leaps with this design, but it should be possible to use them for close-quarters maneuvering. How far can I go (and what's the appropriate amount of force) without hurting the user?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3154 on: June 25, 2012, 06:18:36 pm »

((Yeah, I was hoping to be able to use it to power anything foreign we encounter as well.))
I guess that would work, just having some sort of series of contacts you can slot in and out where needed. But you're gonna need to slot them in by hand.

Jim continued to press the attack, taking the knife lower and going for the man's stomach while he was hopefully distracted by slash on his neck.
[dex:6]
[man dex:1]
[str:1]
You take a swing at the man's guy and promptly miss. Worse yet, you lose your grip on the knife and hurl it a good few dozen feet away. Son of a...

April heads to the armory first.
You follow the signs to the armory and find some guy and some lady standing around talking to another woman in a kiosk.

Can I just get the test results of doing it all at once, please? I might not be able to make 50 foot leaps with this design, but it should be possible to use them for close-quarters maneuvering. How far can I go (and what's the appropriate amount of force) without hurting the user?
Ok, I'll just tell you that about 10 feet is how high/ far you'll be able to jump without endangering the user. It's gonna a be a pretty sharp blow as far as jumping is concerned, like being kicked in the butt and flying 10 feet, but it will work with that harness. Now, thats of course assuming you have a way to deliver that amount of force.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: June 25, 2012, 07:43:49 pm »

Charro resembled nothing so much as a zombie, his blank stare fixed on the television screen. He'd never really been much for watching TV, but right now he couldn't think of anything better to do.
>Watch TV like a couch potato.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: June 25, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »

Hm... that's decent, but not spectacular. I wonder if there's some way to dampen the force somehow... like with a spring. Yeah, that just might work.

Take a piston programmed to provide a certain amount of force (say... 50N), put a kinetic amp on the end, cover the amp with a small sheet of metal, and attach the other end of the metal sheet to a high-resistance spring, with the other end of the spring attached to the "jetpack" casing. Try this out as a jetpack replacement, using the Mk 3 jetpack harness on a Mk 1 suit.

The whole thing should look something like follows:

[casing -> piston -> kinetic amp -> small metal sheet -> spring -> casing]

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »

Better the weapon is over there than in his hands... Jim thought. He'd take this guy out first, then grab the knife before the next opponent spawned. He moved to punch his opponent in the face and stagger him; hopefully that would create an opening for him to drive an elbow into the man's throat.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: June 25, 2012, 08:49:42 pm »

When her turn comes, April buys a laser rifle, an extra battery for said rifle, and a monoatomic razor.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3159 on: June 25, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

Charro resembled nothing so much as a zombie, his blank stare fixed on the television screen. He'd never really been much for watching TV, but right now he couldn't think of anything better to do.
>Watch TV like a couch potato.
You lay in front of the tv and gurgle a bit. Ha ha, television.

Hm... that's decent, but not spectacular. I wonder if there's some way to dampen the force somehow... like with a spring. Yeah, that just might work.

Take a piston programmed to provide a certain amount of force (say... 50N), put a kinetic amp on the end, cover the amp with a small sheet of metal, and attach the other end of the metal sheet to a high-resistance spring, with the other end of the spring attached to the "jetpack" casing. Try this out as a jetpack replacement, using the Mk 3 jetpack harness on a Mk 1 suit.

The whole thing should look something like follows:

[casing -> piston -> kinetic amp -> small metal sheet -> spring -> casing]
Alright, interesting idea. Lets look at the problems that you'll incur. First, that plate you're gonna have the force transferring into is gonna be damaged pretty rapidly, since the force will be focused into a very small point. And the second problem is that spring thing. It will work to dampen the force, thats true, but that also means making that push less effective for the purpose of jumping. So in order to get that 10 foot jump, you'll need to use more force until the point that you basically bypass any effect from the spring.

Better the weapon is over there than in his hands... Jim thought. He'd take this guy out first, then grab the knife before the next opponent spawned. He moved to punch his opponent in the face and stagger him; hopefully that would create an opening for him to drive an elbow into the man's throat.
[dex:4]
[man dex:6-1]
[man str:2]
[end:5]
The man dodges your blow and charges you, grabbing your head and pressing his thumbs into your eyes. It doesn't feel very nice, but it's not doing much.

When her turn comes, April buys a laser rifle, an extra battery for said rifle, and a monoatomic razor.
You sneak your order in during a lull in the conversation and the Armory master hands you your items.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »

Right, so she had her stuff! April decided that she would explore what she could of the ship!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »

Metaphorically speaking, Jim shook his head and tsked. Factually speaking, he threw a knee up toward the man's groin.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:19 pm »

"Layers huh... I see... One last question; How thick do the layers have to be in order for it to work properly?

And hello Feyri, I'll talk to you later if you want, I've got to go check some stuff out first."

After getting my answer, thank her again and head to the VR machines, hop in one, and fire up tinker. Bring up battleship plate and it's specific details about it's tensile strength, resistance to warping and breaking as well as it's weight, highest and lowest temperatures that it can handle and cost. Bring up a visual sample of a typical plate of the stuff with a cross-section of it so I can have a look at the layers and how thick they are.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: June 26, 2012, 12:44:52 am »

Alright, interesting idea. Lets look at the problems that you'll incur. First, that plate you're gonna have the force transferring into is gonna be damaged pretty rapidly, since the force will be focused into a very small point. And the second problem is that spring thing. It will work to dampen the force, thats true, but that also means making that push less effective for the purpose of jumping. So in order to get that 10 foot jump, you'll need to use more force until the point that you basically bypass any effect from the spring.

Hm, the main problem seems to be that energy spent compressing the spring itself can't be effectively used with this design, as the spring will exert an equal force on both sides of the casing. That means that the actual push comes from the energy that gets sent through the compressed spring... so the spring effectively reduces and lengthens the push. That could be solved by carefully increasing both the force itself and the spring resistance... which leads into the problem of the metal plate getting destroyed with each use.

Hm... I don't see a good solution to this. Perhaps someone else in the VR will have some ideas.

"This is Kyle, sending a message to all current VR users. I'm testing a kinetic amp jetpack design, but I've run into a couple of problems that are somewhat difficult to work around. I need a way to take a concentrated, near-instant force, and spread it out into a longer, less deadly push without losing any of the energy involved. Message me if you have any ideas."

Download the microwave manipulator and kinetic amp manuals and read them over, checking for any features I might have missed. In particular, can the manipulator work in reverse to quickly freeze an object?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:17 am »

Thank you.
Look around for the 'CLOTHING' box, and put on the clothes. Wander around the ship in the search of a bathroom or a room with a mirror together with Simulacrus. Note for later places where a mirror can be found.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:44:45 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 2101