Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Protecting Livestock and Floor grates  (Read 4672 times)

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Protecting Livestock and Floor grates
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »

Honey badger don't care.  Honey badger slaughters all your weaker livestock.

After numerous issues with the native wildlife (and a perpetual fear of invaders), I've decided to try some different things with protecting my livestock and moving them closer to where my dwarves can reach them without ever stepping foot into the line of fire.

One of the ideas I had was to channel out the above ground area where my livestock field should be, and then building a ceiling over that using rows of floors and floor grates.  Before doing that, though -- would this be viable?  Can rain fall through the floor grates?  (I know water can flow through them, but I don't know if rain counts as something else.)  Can grass grow beneath them?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting Livestock and Floor grates
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »

It takes N^2 stones to build floors and grates over a square area of length N, whereas it only takes 4N stones to build a wall around the same space. So it takes more time and material to make a system that might not work, when a wall is a known solution. You will rarely need a roof to protect your grazing animals.

Channeling a moat or removing up ramps from the base of a hill are essentially free.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:49 pm »

CRUSHED BY MATH.

But walls just aren't as cool. ;)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »

Rain cannot fall through floor grates, or any obstruction. Also, floor grates need to be orthagonally adjacent to a floor, wall, or other terrain tile, so you'd either need to have 2 rows of grates then a row of floors, or a series of pillars in your pasture area.

Grass can grow beneath floor grates. Also, grass can grow beneath floors, or a thousand levels of solid wall, just so long as it's above ground. Once something is above ground, it's always above ground, and grass doesn't care whether something is inside or outside, only whether it's above ground or below ground. You could thus have a much safer pasture by flooring over the top of it rather than grating over it, as marksgoblins can shoot through floor grates.

Alternatively, dig down and breach the caverns and cave moss and floor fungus will grow on below-ground soil and muddied rock. Allows for completely subterranean pastures.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »

... as marksgoblins can shoot through floor grates.

NOPE. Doesn't work/happen.

Though everything else you said was a good point.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:09 pm »

NOPE. Doesn't work/happen.

Though everything else you said was a good point.
Is that so? I thought they could. I've not used crossbows in several versions, nor have I had enemy ranged attackers in a position they would reveal that information to me, so I'll just guess that I'm misinformed.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »

Any tile that has ever been exposed to the sky will always count as Light Aboveground.  You can roof over your pasture with a solid granite roof, and it will still grow grass and surface plants.

You can also pasture your animals underground after you discover the caverns.  Once the caverns are breached, underground soil and muddied rock will grow cave moss, which grazers can eat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »

or, you can trade in your annoying grazers for animals that don't graze. most poultry are a good option for that. some people like dogs last i heard, but i suspect that was decided *before* you could train anything and everything.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:24 pm »

Floor grates can be demolished from above by building destroyers.  Then the, for example, dragon, will fry everyone below.  If you want to pretend reality, make the roof from glass blocks.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »

or, you can trade in your annoying grazers for animals that don't graze. most poultry are a good option for that. some people like dogs last i heard, but i suspect that was decided *before* you could train anything and everything.
Grizzly bears work great for this. Not only do they provide ample supplies of meat, but then you can train them for war, assign one to every dwarf, and be forevermore safe from ambushes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:28:52 pm »

maybe off topic, but if you embark on a no-plants, no-trees zone with soil on top, if you channel the soil down you'll get perfect pastures that grow grazable-grass but never produce plants or trees.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »

Mod the rhinos to eat reasonable amounts of grass and use them for meat/war/general awesomeness.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »

They're still a great choice for butchery, they just don't hold a monopoly on best food for Dwarves anymore.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:24 pm »

They're still a great choice for butchery, they just don't hold a monopoly on best food for Dwarves anymore.

i'm not sure they have for a long time.

most poultry are ridiculously good. turkeys, in particular, are rather ridiculous. i don't think people liked dogs because they were the best source of food, i think people liked dogs because they were a great source of food *plus* they could be trained as cannon fodder.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »

Mod the rhinos to eat reasonable amounts of grass and use them for meat/war/general awesomeness.

Or mod in fire-breathing triceratops, to eat reasonable amounts of grass and use them to terrorize seigers.(and for fun)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:28:32 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"
Pages: [1] 2