Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Valve's employee handbook leaks, amusing, clever, flatness apparently a thing  (Read 5124 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Valve's employee handbook has been leaked from Valve's company intranet, where it has apparently sat for a very long time being all amusing and shit without us ever knowing about it.

It gives significant insight into how Valve works, their hiring system, how they treat their employees, how they develop games and why they're not being hyperbolic when they claim they're 'more than just a games studio'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:03:39 am by Jackrabbit »

Fiskav

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:04:20 am by Fiskav »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile

Seriously... that is so awesome. Also, everyone really needs to take the time to read the blog post by Michael Abrash linked in that PC Gamer article. I wish I had skills even remotely applicable to apply there :o
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Valve's employee handbook has been "leaked" from Valve's marketing/PR department, where it has apparently sat for a very long time before someone decided it certainly couldn't hurt to get some more mileage out of it.

^ That seems more likely. To me, anyway. Also it is a pretty neat handbook regardless.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Handbook looks neat, with a bunch of humor thrown in just 'cause they can. And yeah, I think this "leak" is intentional.

E: Inb4HL3discussion/derail
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:12:03 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, this is just the sort of thing they'd do for a laugh. Not that I'm complaining. I quite like how the handbook is essentially a wikipedia page and any Valve employee can edit it.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and mostly Australian!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

E: Inb4HL3discussion/derail

MAKEWITHTHEHL3ALREADY!
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Finished reading it a few minutes ago.  Spent the next couple minutes swallowing my infinite sorrow.  Then ran around spamming the link everywhere.  Finished with a post in the sad thread, and spotted this thread 5 seconds later.

Seriously... that is so awesome. Also, everyone really needs to take the time to read the blog post by Michael Abrash linked in that PC Gamer article. I wish I had skills even remotely applicable to apply there :o

Oh god...

Quote from: MAbrash
It started with Snow Crash

I've only read this one line.  Already asking myself... could it have possible opened with a more promising sentence?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:20:59 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Godamnit.
I wish I could work at valve.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

So yeah... MAbrash's blog post is full of amazing stuff.  It's also great for making me feel incredibly inadequate :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

I want to work there now:D
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile

New life goal: Get enough qualifications and experience to work at Valve.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My god, the glossary at the end legitimately had me in stiches. I don't openly laugh much, but damn did that do it. This has made me want to pursue a career in game design.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Oh, this is a thing of beauty. Thankee for posting it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2