Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Their Coming Is At Hand - an Eldritch Horror RTD (Turn 10! Spots open!)  (Read 33642 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Charge at the weakened mutation, and pummel the thing to death.

Watchman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Really ? Candles and human sacrifice ? I expected something more from you..." Erik mutters and throws himself on the nearest cultist trying to disarm him. He also focus on reaching the mind of the other team leader and somehow revealing cultists and altar location to him.

((I sure hope cultists are just human!  I also hope that mind thingy will not turn into something that will scar Caellath character for life :P ))

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

She is NOT getting away when Calla's sister did not, however, Calla chases her into the helicopter, and if possible, makes sure that they head to the mainland and not some other weird cult base
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

"[CURSEWORD], I can't leave them to their fates like this. Radio silence, and no clearance to directly engage...

...Directly engage?"

Shift to Offensive mode, Keep watching though.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

Alex brought control down to Medium before grabbing the Hybrid and throwing it at the armed cultist.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She is NOT getting away when Calla's sister did not, however, Calla chases her into the helicopter, and if possible, makes sure that they head to the mainland and not some other weird cult base

*cough*, Sophie could or could not be dead. You only saw her collapse. However, the rig is coming apart, so I commend you on your pragmatism.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

We-he-he-he-heeeeeeeeeeeeelllll, I'm liking this a LOT! Yay for mass destruction and Aperture Science levels of morality! The best part is that it's all necessary.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

*cough*, Sophie could or could not be dead. You only saw her collapse. However, the rig is coming apart, so I commend you on your pragmatism.

Well she is also suffering from blunt force trauma and is unlikely thinking about the possibility of Sophie still being alive
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 4

Calla

[4] 'Stirling!' you shout at the captain over the deafening roar of the waves and collapsing supports. She doesn't stop, but throws a quick glance at your direction. Her eyes are full of fear, but given the fate of the other personnel, it's a miracle she's still standing at all. Other than her, you can only see half a dozen other guards still intact, though most of them don't seem to have any great control over their bodies.

Your upper body flares out in burning pain as you stand up and force your body to follow the guard captain. The helicopter is still intact on the far platform, though as you watch, a huge portion of the second tower is broken off and smashes through the rig right to its side, barely missing its rotor blades.

[4] Even with your wounds, you're faster than Stirling. You gain up on her, navigating your way past the falling rubble and rapidly-growing cracks and fractures appearing on the platform surface. The entire rig shakes and you hear a vast groan and snap of metal and a mighty splash as the first tower collapses, taking half of the deck with it. Screaming from some of the other guards finally adds a human voice to the cacophony, but is cut short by an ugly wet crack.

You reach Stirling just at the foot of the ladder to the heli-platform. She doesn't react when you call her name, grabbing hold of the ladder and hoisting herself upwards with strong pulls. You follow her quickly, feeling the suffocating presence of the Ancient behind you, as if it was breathing down your neck.

Stirling steps on the platform, crosses the distance to the helicopter in one bound, wrenches the door open and plants herself at the controls. The rotor's already spinning when you climb to the co-pilot's chair. Only then does she seem to notice your presence.

'Calla,' she says, without a hint of surprise, 'strap yourself in. The rig is collapsing.'

You resist a snappy remark and do as ordered, focusing on the task ahead of you instead of the outside world. You search for Sophie's body on the platform, but before your eyes the entire lower half of the rig collapses into the waves before the Deep One. Immediately, there's a snap as remaining battered supports collapse, and the rest of the rig begins its descent into the sea. The helicopter, robbed off its stable surface, is sent sliding towards the weak railings - [6] and Stirling pulls up, the chopper's rotors clearing the platform surface by inches.

The helicopter rises into the air, and below, Acucar I4 Offshore Drilling Platform, dives clumsily into the embrace of the dark waters.

[5] Stirling rises high, circling in the air. She doesn't say anything, but her eyes are fixed on the Deep One.

Slowly, gradually, Gaugathun, the Master of the Deep, lowers itself below the ocean surface and disappears into the depths and the Abyss from whence it came. You feel its presence grow more and more distant, until your mind abruptly clears.

'It... it went away. Did it work? It must've worked,' Stirling says, more to herself than anyone. 'This wasn't what we expected. But the prophecies never said anything about how. Yes. Yes, it must've worked.'

She turns her attention to the helicopter control panel, and manipulates several rows of buttons and dials below a small monitor. After a few minutes, a crystal-clear video feed appears. Several men in business suits or Fellowship robes sit several metres away from the camera, their faces unclear. Stirling makes a quick sign with her hands.

'Captain,' the lead one says, his voice distorted by some artificial means. 'I see you have survived. Is it over?'

'Yes, master,' Stirling replies, a hint of excitement back in her voice. 'It has returned to the depths. Unfortunately, the station was destroyed in the process. We lost all staff and primary personnel and the majority of our research data and storage materials. The first child was also lost, but I have the second with me.'

'But Gaugathun is dead?' another voice cuts in, similarly made anonymous by electronics.

'Yes, of course,' Stirling says. A small frown appears on her brow. 'Was there any doubt?'

'Of course not, captain. Do not worry. All has proceeded as was foreseen. We-'

Shrill alarms drown him out, making the men on the other end of the channel jump. This gives you a strange satisfaction. You hear shouted orders and questions over the noise. In a minute, it ends, but the old men are not looking at the camera anymore. Voices from outside the frame cut in, and this time you hear them clearly.

'Reports coming in from Louisiana, Panama-'

'...confirmed, New Orleans is under attack, our observer just...'

'...seeing incursion alerts all over the continent, Danzig is hit, I repeat, Danzig is-'

'Not matching any known types, sir. We have to conclude that-'

'...confirmed visual off the Coast of Brazil, approaching inland fast! ETA one hour, max! I'm pulling out of here!'

'Brazil?' another distorted voice asks aloud. 'Damnit. It's after the Trident, I know it is. We need a team in Guarapari at once. Who's nearest?'

Their gazes turn back to the camera. 'Ah... of course. Stirling?'

'Yes, sir?' the captain says, staring back with a mask of pure confusion. You notice that her hands are shaking on the controls, pulling the helicopter ever higher.

'We need you to head over to a city called Guadapari, immediately. There is an artifact there kept hidden for this... possibility. From Atlantis itself, if you can imagine. We will transmit over the necessary coordinates and maps. Do not fail. The future of the human race may well depend on this.'

The screen on the monitor remains buzzing in place for a few moments more. There would be time to say something Stirling most certainly will not.

Spoiler: wolfchild (click to show/hide)

Alex Vondgas
Alex brought control down to Medium before grabbing the Hybrid and throwing it at the armed cultist.

You drop your barriers, knowing you need every edge you can get right now. Instantly, your mind is assaulted by the Fae, growing both in strenght and awareness of itself and its surroundings. [3] You stumble back, momentarily overwhelmed, feeling your body fill with primordial power. The Titan inside you lets out a roar, and you echo it, emptying your lungs in defiance of the hybrid.

[4-1=3] He doesn't seem to particularly mind. Using your distracted state to his advantage, the youthful half-human throws a hefty punch for your skull, [Dodge:4] but you move aside with ease, launching your arm forward and closing it around his wrist. His eyes widen in surprise, [3][Dodge:2] and you use the chance to raise him by the arm and thrust him towards the other cultist with [Damage:3+2=5] enough force to shatter bone. [Dodge:4] The armed guard hits the ground, moving expectionally fast and letting the hybrid crash into the wall instead. [BP:6] He slams into the metal side-first, a nasty crack of bone echoing forth from his leg. He screams in pain, falling over. [3] The helicopter shakes from the impact, and you hear the door to the front open.

Combatants
Spoiler: Hostiles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Friendlies (click to show/hide)
---

Spoiler: mcclay (click to show/hide)

Turiel
"[CURSEWORD], I can't leave them to their fates like this. Radio silence, and no clearance to directly engage...

...Directly engage?"

Shift to Offensive mode, Keep watching though.

[3] You draw in from your training and innate knowledge, creating subtle shifts in your Nexus Field, stripping it of its redirective capabilities, to allow for supercharging and guiding of attacks and projectiles. But with a strict order not to interfere, you keep to the clouds, watching the unaltered fighters turn back for another attack on the Ancient.

[3+1=4] This time, they get as close as possible before releasing another batch of guided missiles. [Dodges:3-1-1=1/6-1-1=4/2-1-1=1] Two of them find their mark, the third landing poorly and skidding off the giant's skin and crashing somewhere in the wilderness. [BPs:3/8] The first missile is a direct hit, [Damage:5-2+1=4] detonating visibly against the Titan's side and setting fire to the underbrush hanging from its hide. The beast howls in pain, the sound even stronger than before. You wait for the engine-shutting blast, but you're safely out of range - [3] but the jets aren't. [5] The third plane turns into a sudden nose dive. A few moments later, the pilot ejects, his parachute carried safely away from the Titan's feet. The plane crashes down a few minutes later.

[Damage:1-2+1+1=1] This almost takes your attention off the second missile, which streaks upwards and smashes into the Titan's vast, cyclopean eye. The fleshy eye looks softer than the rest of its body, but perhaps just due to bad luck, there's no effect from the detonation. You're not even sure if, again, the thing noticed it, especially with the much more potent hit in its torso.

[6] With another noise, a much lower, shiver-inducing growl, the Titan finally starts paying attention to its opponents. [Dodges:6+1=6/3+1=4] It swings one giant arm, carrying with it a blanket of air almost as hard-hitting as the arm itself, but the small aircraft veer away, moving much faster than the lumbering beast.

Combatants
Spoiler: The Titan (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Alexei Zielkov and 'Doctor' Erik Tourigny
"Really ? Candles and human sacrifice ? I expected something more from you..." Erik mutters and throws himself on the nearest cultist trying to disarm him. He also focus on reaching the mind of the other team leader and somehow revealing cultists and altar location to him.
Alexei frowns at the number of different paths.

He tries to use intuition to discover the right way. If it fails, choose the corridors and search for clues.

Tourigny's snarky comment goes to waste as the cultists start howling, rushing as one towarsd the lone intruder. [2] Not feeling to be in any particular danger, the hybrid uses the chance to attempt to contact his partner - but distracted as he is, he cannot quite locate the superhuman. With a resigned sigh, Tourigny turns to the charging fanatics, preparing to jump and attack, and feels the first of them enter the radius of his aura.

[2] His momentum carries him forward even as his murderous howling turns into mindless, terrified whimpering, [Dodge:2] and before Tourigny can tell what's happening he's on the ground, the bulk of the huge man on top of him. [6] To his marvellous luck, the next cultist proves more hardened of mind and merely staggers, his expression changing to one of disgust, like watching a bug waiting to be stomped. [Dodge:4-1=3] He brings his boot down on Tourigny, who half-manages to push the first cultist off him and roll to his right. The foot catches him in the side of the [BP:4] arm anyhow. [Damage:2-3=1] Immediately, the cultist lets out a cry of equal parts pain and surprise and stumbles back, hand reaching for his foot. His boot is a crumpled mess from impacting on Tourigny's superhuman skin.

[2/6/1/6/1/4/5/3/3/4] The remaining cultists arrive a moment later, a surprising amount of them staying on their feet and in control of their wits. Tourigny hurries to stand up before they attack.

[3] 'Fool!' the leader bellows, embracing the cliches to ludicrous extent. These guys don't look all that bright, anyhow. 'You are too late! The time of my ultimate destiny is at hand!'

He turns his attention to the body and his mouth begins moving, mouthing bizarre syllables and words. He raises a knife above the bound captive.

Up by the elevator, meanwhile, [5] Alexei ponders on the possible routes while his men watch. Perhaps offering a radio to Tourigny would've been a good idea.

Down a level eventually begins to feel like their best bet. The superhuman commands his men into the elevator, the spacious machine offering more than enough room for them all. Soon enough, they're rolling down the warehouse. Faint smoke and incense arrives in from below as they descend, and the men ready their weapons.

The elevator door opens to a short corridor. At the end, Alexei sees the railing of a walkway, and hears both screaming and maddened howling beyond.

Combatants (The Altar Chamber)

---

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Watchman (click to show/hide)

Alfonz Wulfric
Charge at the weakened mutation, and pummel the thing to death.

[6] You throw yourself forward again, throwing your arm forward for a punch that [Dodge:3] catches the big Deepspawn in the [BP:8] thigh, [Damage:1] but to little effect. In response, the beast emits a thundering growl and [2+1=3][Dodge:1+1=2] moves too fast for you to follow. You see a flicker of movement and then its knee is in your [BP:2] chest, lifting you up high into the air. [Damage:3] Your battered ribcage gives in with a nasty wet crack and you're sent flying, crashing heavily on your back a few metres up the runway.

[4+1=5] Not giving you even a moment's of rest, the heavy form's new friend propels itself forward, flashing through the air and [Dodge:3] despite your dodge, cutting you across the [BP:4][Damage:4-2=2] arm. But with the unbelievable pain lashing out from your chest, your heart beating crazy and your breath escaping in rapid, desperate gushes, you barely notice it.

[6] Behind the heavy mutation form, impossibly slowly, a great portion of the runway abruptly collapses, sliding into the lake in an explosion of dust. To your incredible luck, nearly half of the approaching horde is taken with it. Of course, more and more of the things are swarming from the Great Mother by every passing second, but it's still fairly satisfying.

[6] Your attention is also grabbed by a series of rapid flashes and whip-crack missile launches. A formation of fighter jets rushes past abovehead, [Dodge:1] releasing a barrage of air-to-ground missiles that streak past the walls of gasbag-creatures before they can move to intercept, and slam into the Deep One's [BP:2] crest with a satisfying thunder. [Damage:2-2+1=1] From your distant position, you can see no signs of damage - but surely a hit like that must've had some effect?

[1/2] You hear more than see other squadrons veer in from inland, but they for whatever reason fail to release their munitions. It probably has something with the fast flyers now swarming the airspace - you can see them above the city already, swooping down and circling around. To your horror, several pillars of smoke are arising from the city edge, the spreading black blanket of Deepspawn climbing up to the streets. More than that, the tsunami waves generated by the Ancient's arrival have absolutely flattened the oh-so-recently rebuilt buildings and infrastructure. Alarms are ringing faintly in the background, calming, authorative voices spelling out ridiculously out-of-place instructions to the panicking city.

Torso: Heavily Wounded!
Left Arm: Minor Cut!

Combatants
---

Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)

---

I've got a good feeling about this game. Usually, even if I've liked the original idea, I know a few turns in it's more tiresome than fun to write updates, and that it's going to die. But some games, like NtR, this, or For Science!, man, I just can't/couldn't get enough of them.

Also herpaderp I had 50% of this update done for days, I should've finished it up much earlier.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

It's obvious from the detail in the turns that you're enjoying this.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alexei perks his ears. Screaming and cackling, they are certainly on the right way.

The supersoldier asks him team some meters behind him and moves towards the noise, shooting the cult leader as soon as he sees him.

Edit: @GM: This has hit me, without a waitlist, aren't there chances the story may fall apart as the characters start to die?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:08:40 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not actually against new players/a waitlist. I'm aware I've not made this very clear - I'll change the title heading to 'Waitlist spots open!' (It's too crowded for anything bigger).

So, the waitlist is open, for anyone interested. People who've made Enemies already will forsake their ability to control them if they do get bumped up to the game, though.

EDIT: Err, Enemy spots are still open. Speaking of which, as soon as these 'starting mission's are over, I'll start working them in.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:23:51 am by Digital Hellhound »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use more of my lifeforce to boost my speed, and begin to pelt the nearest mutation with all the speed, and strength I can muster. If I score a successful hit absorb the life force of that creature, and turn it into a combat doll.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I'm not actually against new players/a waitlist. I'm aware I've not made this very clear - I'll change the title heading to 'Waitlist spots open!' (It's too crowded for anything bigger).

So, the waitlist is open, for anyone interested. People who've made Enemies already will forsake their ability to control them if they do get bumped up to the game, though.

EDIT: Err, Enemy spots are still open. Speaking of which, as soon as these 'starting mission's are over, I'll start working them in.
I like this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

"That plan definately did not work, You sacrificed a kind considerate person for nothing!"

Bide my time and recuperate while they travel to a mainland somewhere
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16