Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100194 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #330 on: September 29, 2014, 12:08:35 pm »

Blame english, man. Lose has a long vowel sound. Maybe it should be written Luce and Loose. Lose is a poorly behaved english word as it is, since it has an non-standard conjugation- lost instead of losed. (Incidentally, Loosed as in "the dogs of war" isn't used much today)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 29, 2014, 03:08:03 pm »

Back in the 90s when I was new to the internet, playing MUDs on university computers, I actually thought maybe 'loose' was the American spelling of 'lose' because the former was used *way* more often than the latter and it was the same time I was encountering American spellings of other words like colour or grey.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 29, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »

I'll throw this onto the untranslatable sentences pile:

Wyrewolwerowany rewolwerowiec wyrewolwerował wyrewolwerowanego rewolwerowca.

Challenge accepted:

Pistolified pistolero pistolerized a pistolfied pistolero.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 29, 2014, 05:19:11 pm »

People who put half of a sentence in the title of a thread, then finish the sentence in the OP. That was a frequent occurrence in a forum I used to frequent and I absolutely hated it. Usually it was for the sake of a joke thread, or a problem that could have been solved in a general thread.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »

People who put half of a sentence in the title of a thread, then finish the sentence in the OP. That was a frequent occurrence in a forum I used to frequent and I absolutely hated it. Usually it was for the sake of a joke thread, or a problem that could have been solved in a general thread.
How many of those were also Rickrolls (or equally annoying memes)?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 29, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

The intense satisfaction I take from opening my email, seeing hundreds of notifications about angry responses to my comments on youtube, and clicking that 'delete all' button. :3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 29, 2014, 06:42:49 pm »

The intense satisfaction I take from opening my email, seeing hundreds of notifications about angry responses to my comments on youtube, and clicking that 'delete all' button. :3
fuk u u fuk

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 30, 2014, 12:16:59 am »

But what if some of them are reasonable valid respons--

Okay, I can't even finish that sentence.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:53 am »

It's annyoing when people complain about other people writing about themselves. What else can one write about competently?

Arguments made entirely, or almost entirely from logical fallacies and derailing tactics.   In fact, it's so rare that I see an argument where one or both sides aren't doing this, that you could say arguments annoy me.  Sometimes they're downright scary.

Here's a guide that will help people recognize derailing tactics, and control if and when they use them.  I'm finding it best not to participate in conversations where these are present.

Logical fallacies are a little different because there are so many, it's hard to keep track of them.  Some of them are more forgivable than others, too.  "False Premise, True Conclusion" is occasionally going to happen to even the most informed and intelligent people, because technology tends to improve the capability of science to find "facts", thus correcting the "old facts".

...also, unrelated:  I take too long to post, and get ninja'ed a lot, because of it.

Edit: forgot the link
The text behind that link makes me extremely uncomfortable. Reading that already feels like arguing over the Internet.
I might have a problem there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:45:51 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 30, 2014, 10:40:18 am »

It's annyoing when people complain about other people writing about themselves. What else can one write about competently?

Arguments made entirely, or almost entirely from logical fallacies and derailing tactics.   In fact, it's so rare that I see an argument where one or both sides aren't doing this, that you could say arguments annoy me.  Sometimes they're downright scary.

Here's a guide that will help people recognize derailing tactics, and control if and when they use them.  I'm finding it best not to participate in conversations where these are present.

Logical fallacies are a little different because there are so many, it's hard to keep track of them.  Some of them are more forgivable than others, too.  "False Premise, True Conclusion" is occasionally going to happen to even the most informed and intelligent people, because technology tends to improve the capability of science to find "facts", thus correcting the "old facts".

...also, unrelated:  I take too long to post, and get ninja'ed a lot, because of it.

Edit: forgot the link
The text behind that link makes me extremely uncomfortable. Reading that already feels like arguing over the Internet.
I might have a problem there.
Turned off by the virulently sarcastic ranting of a SJW? Nope, perfectly normal. You certainly do, you privileged person! After all, anecdotal evidence and righteous anger form a much better basis for one's opinions than anecdotal evidence and ignorance (or even, gasp, in some rare cases, scientific research), and the appropriate way to deal with people you don't agree with is to browbeat them until they throw their hands in the air, which is your signal to celebrate victory. But you probably won't have much luck getting arguments with people who have an irrational expectation of the conversation being a mutual exchange, so you should probably limit yourself to blog ranting about generalized stereotypes who make judgements based on generalized stereotypes. ::)

That's not to say that what the author of that was trying to say in a roundabout way isn't an issue, but spirits, that sort of unwittingly ironic self-righteousness makes me gag.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 30, 2014, 10:49:32 am »

But what if some of them are reasonable valid respons--

Okay, I can't even finish that sentence.
I actually read a YouTube argument wherein an SJW actually apologized for playing the 'male privilege' card. Mind=Blown.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 30, 2014, 11:20:51 am »

Speaking of social justice whores and habits which annoy me, the refusal to use the same english as the rest of the world. It's not just that their logic is retarded, but they change the fucking meanings of words to fit their twisted world view. It should not need specifying that "going out with a guy" and "being a lesbian" are two mutually exclusive concepts, but they insist its possible.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:50 am »

People who type all their posts in a special color. If you're so boring to need a special color in your posts to distinguish yourself, don't bother posting.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:39 am »

People who type all their posts in a special color. If you're so boring to need a special color in your posts to distinguish yourself, don't bother posting.

Not only that, it has only made whatever they wrote harder to read as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:03 am »

>It's not just that their logic is retarded, but they change the fucking meanings of words to fit their twisted world.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from 'Dear  Cis People'
"Dear cis people: just because I'm gay without a penis doesn't mean I like c*** up my a**. I'm a dominant top."

WITH WHAT?

It's also funny when they try to claim that 'cis' isn't an insult, even though they frequently use it as a synonym for 'scum'. Doubly funny after reading someone saying that putting 'cis' in inverted commas is contemptuous, because it means you'd rather say 'normal'. 

Tumblr in general, and SJWs in particular, are a gold mine for annoying internet crap. I recommend InternetAristocrat's 'Tumblerisms' series, wherein he chronicles such things as 'headmates', 'cultural appropriation', and 'thin privilege'. Some asshole managed to get the 'Cis Scum' video pulled down, but there's a few mirrors. He hasn't done any new episodes for a while, partially because he's covering GamerGate, and presumably also has a life. Still worth a watch.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35