Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100209 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2014, 08:43:03 am »

I expect blind hatred from white supremacists, religious dogmatics, and so forth
Beg pardon? What makes religious people more likely to spew hatred than SJWs?

And, random question, does anyone know of a racial superiority group that doesn't actually hate other races? It would be an interesting concept. The beliefs of such a group would actually be an interesting read. Like, say, a group that doesn't "hate" blacks, just believes them to be sub-equal, and wants to change society to recognize that belief?
I could have said 'extremists' (which would honestly have been clearer, apologies), but it's been just a tad overused of late. I also could have listed off a few dozen different groups given to inflexible thought and hatred of Others, but that's what an &c. is for.

On the second point, that's pretty much the sort of thought that was prevalent in the big European colonial empires back around the turn of the last century, where it was less "Those fucking subhuman _____s, they need to rot in hell," and more "Those poor, backwards _______s, we need to civilize them!" Though obviously it was already present in the societal superstructure, so there weren't really people trying to make it acceptable. It's also the same sort of thought that some of (and boy does this make me cringe) moderates in the U.S. around the Civil War era had about blacks, that they were still inferior but didn't deserve to be treated as if they weren't human.

So less interesting and more still-disgusting-but-at-least-it-isn't-genocide.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2014, 08:51:26 am »

So less interesting and more still-disgusting-but-at-least-it-isn't-genocide.

Thanks, I needed a slogan for my book club.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 01, 2014, 10:48:43 am »

Crooked forum moderators.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #363 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:56 am »

People who type all their posts in a special color. If you're so boring to need a special color in your posts to distinguish yourself, don't bother posting.
How often does that happen? I've only ever seen it maybe twice. And both times on the MSPA forums which draws a surprising number of people who think it's an exclusively RP forum.
I've only seen it twice or thrice too. Once on these forums, even. That it doesn't happen often doesn't make it less annoying, though.
I've only seen it once, on pixeljoint forums, and the fellow used bright, bright neon green that hurt my eyes and said person seemingly posted everywhere.

Full stops are for scrubs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 01, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »

Over-zealous use of fallacies. For example, Some people seem to forget identifying fallacies are a good way to refute an argument, but by simply refuting an argument you haven't refuted a point.

No use of fullstops. I think I might have mentioned it before, but its worth mentioning again. It can make text quite difficult to read.

dude you've fallen into the fallacy fallacy fallacy

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:35 pm »

People who type all their posts in a special color. If you're so boring to need a special color in your posts to distinguish yourself, don't bother posting.
How often does that happen? I've only ever seen it maybe twice. And both times on the MSPA forums which draws a surprising number of people who think it's an exclusively RP forum.
I've only seen it twice or thrice too. Once on these forums, even. That it doesn't happen often doesn't make it less annoying, though.
I've only seen it once, on pixeljoint forums, and the fellow used bright, bright neon green that hurt my eyes and said person seemingly posted everywhere.

Full stops are for scrubs.

Hello!

Remember Deathworks?

Cthulhu
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »

Over-zealous use of fallacies. For example, Some people seem to forget identifying fallacies are a good way to refute an argument, but by simply refuting an argument you haven't refuted a point.

No use of fullstops. I think I might have mentioned it before, but its worth mentioning again. It can make text quite difficult to read.

Are you new, son?  That's the fallacy fallacy fallacy fallacy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 01, 2014, 07:24:30 pm »

that's the phallus-y fallacy

My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2014, 03:36:41 am »

I expect blind hatred from white supremacists, religious dogmatics, and so forth
Beg pardon? What makes religious people more likely to spew hatred than SJWs?

And, random question, does anyone know of a racial superiority group that doesn't actually hate other races? It would be an interesting concept. The beliefs of such a group would actually be an interesting read. Like, say, a group that doesn't "hate" blacks, just believes them to be sub-equal, and wants to change society to recognize that belief?
Not sure about groups per se, but that kind of argument pops up fairly often on places like /pol/.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:11 am »

that's the phallus-y fallacy

def GWG(argument):
    n = 1
    while argument == True:
        print "fallacy" * n
        n += 1
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2014, 07:05:38 am »

fallacyfallacyfallacyfallacyfallacy

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2014, 07:34:42 am »

It's also the same sort of thought that some of (and boy does this make me cringe) moderates in the U.S. around the Civil War era had about blacks, that they were still inferior but didn't deserve to be treated as if they weren't human.

Including Abraham Who-care-about-slavery-I-kill-vampires Lincoln which said stuff like
I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:44 am »

Page-spanning derails are the worst for me.

Seriously, the people over at Awesomenauts forums are extremely notorious for that (particularly when someone, most likely me, makes a thread to speculate the next major patch, it's only a matter of time before someone makes a Pokemon-based pun (can't recall any right now) which then turns into at least one page worth of a derail. Though now they've chosen ice for whatever reason, maybe because of the new patch being ice-themed.
The newest thread had to had 40 pages of offtopic cut off before something worth speculating happened. There's a goddamn offtopic section, use it.

Also, fallacies. Granted, I am guilty of them as well, but not to the same degree as some other people are.
Good thing this site exists.

Basically anything that's going to make me cringe IRL is likely to also make cringe on the Internet. Less so, perhaps, but I hate when people around me start acting like they're seven or something.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:16:02 am by DarkDXZ »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2014, 09:25:37 am »

It's also the same sort of thought that some of (and boy does this make me cringe) moderates in the U.S. around the Civil War era had about blacks, that they were still inferior but didn't deserve to be treated as if they weren't human.

Including Abraham Who-care-about-slavery-I-kill-vampires Lincoln which said stuff like
I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Abrahan Lincolin was racist? The horror!

Seriously though, not particularily surprising considered peoples attitude towards other races at the time, and it wasn't just the US either.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2014, 02:05:45 pm »

I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.
Shock horror.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35