Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188029 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2012, 01:38:08 am »

My Thief is going to be using a Venom Share build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYAQNAqYVlUmCN3aS1E95EB3DjC1n6VgsaPopNjJA;TsAgyCtogxAjAGrPOYk+sCZEysDA

Main Set: Pistol/Dagger

Autoattack Vital Shot stacks bleed. Every fight you should be looking at a full stack of bleed on the enemy. Your gear is set up to maximize the bleed duration and condition damage you do with this.

Skill 2 Body Shot applies vulnerability. A decent enough opener for combat but a rather weak skill overall. The least used of your abilities.

Skill 3 Shadow Strike is amazing. Instantly move out of melee range infinitely. Warrior closes in for the kill? Shadow Strike and you're out of danger. You can basically just stand there all fight clicking this ability each time you're in range going "HEHEHE HOHOHO HEHEHE!" For PvE I'll often dodge roll forward through the enemy and use the ability to avoid maxing out the distance from spawn they can travel before they rubberband back. Note you must hit your target for the skill to work, which requires you be in melee range.

Skill 4 Dancing Dagger hits 4 times, procs physical projectile combo fields and cripples. Incredibly useful skill when used for a good combo. More for that later.

Skill 5 Cloak and Dagger is your second on demand melee avoidance skill. Instead of zipping you backwards like Shadow Strike you gain stealth. Do NOT use this one if your enemy is charging for a powerful attack, as stealth will not protect against damage, just avoid enemies targeting you. Use this when you're in a group and surrounded by enemies. The enemies will likely choose a different target instead, letting you get out of trouble and find a safe distance. It also lets you use your stealth combo attack, which for pistol is a rapid fire stacking large amounts of bleed or for your second weapon a single shot which immobilizes. Again note the skill must hit the target in melee to trigger.

Second Weapon: Shortbow

Autoattack Trick Shot bounces 3 times. Pulled multiple mobs? No problem. Wanna get exp from every enemy in an event and extra loot? Easy. Pull out your shortbow and spam this attack if you're too lazy to use any other ability and you'll still end up with max credit for any event requiring killing large numbers of trash mobs. You'll see lots and lots of sparkly bodies too, since because you hit them twice or more you get a shot at loot. It's a great powerleveling tool and used wisely can make a huge difference against waves of enemies. Downside? No condition ability attached and only 20% combo proc rate. For a freebie it's a good one and it's a fast attack, but if you wanna use a multitarget attack to proc off a combo you're better off going for Dancing Dagger.

Skill 2 Cluster Bomb. Yes, the damage is alright. Yes, it can cause bleed. All very nice, but one more thing. Combo Finisher: Blast. If you see a combo field, drop this one into it. If you don't see a combo field, make one. Put down a Choking Gas and follow it with a Cluster Bomb for an AoE Weakness debuff. Make all enemies hit weaker and dodge slower? YES PLEASE! I don't explode my Cluster Bomb shots for this reason. This is the Thief's only Blast combo finisher and you can get some really great effects from it. Besides your own combo Weakness debuff, you can get combos with other classes for Dark (AoE Blind), Ethereal (AoE Chaos Armor), Fire (AoE Might), Ice (AoE Frost Armor), Light (AoE Retaliation), Lightning (AoE Swiftness), Smoke (AoE Stealth) and Water (AoE Healing). Probably you won't benefit from these because you'll be ten feet away from the action, but the melee will love you for the buffs. This is your Team Player skill, the one that makes you a valuable asset and brings the love.

Skill 3 Disabling Shot is another "HEHEHE HOHOHO HEHEHE!" skill. Enemy too close? Leap backwards and evade with this one. Also applies cripple to the target so they're slower at catching you. Already a great sell, but there's one other feature of this skill that makes it even more delicious. This evade works even when you're immobilized. If you're chained to the ground and someone's about to smash a hammer through your impeccably stylish hat, timing this ability right can avoid all damage. It's a really cheap trick to use, perfect for a thief who is designed to avoid getting hit.

Skill 4 Choking Gas is an AoE poison that will probably be your opening move for this build. Hit every mob in a large area from a distance with a big stack of poison from a condition build? Mmmmm, tasty. See notes below on how traits make this even more attractive.

Skill 5 Infiltrator's Arrow is an aimed teleport. A little slow to use and the range can feel short at times, but it can make a significant difference in speed if you're moving up hills or running away from enemies. Also has a blind effect attached for kicks. I seldom use this one offensively in combat, but I'll see if that changes.

Utility Skills:

Skill 6 Hide in Shadows is the strongest of all the heals in my opinion. Consider these arguments for it. First, the skill cures all DoT conditions. None of your weapon skills and only a few of your utilities (Shadow Step) cure conditions. The only other way you can protect against these is if you Trait for them, and you sacrifice a lot to do so. Second, it grants stealth, meaning when you're hurting you can instantly shed all aggro by healing. Let the enemy find another target while you lick your wounds. I've played with the other heals, but this one is by far the most useful.

Skill 7, 8 & 9 are all venoms. This is the bread and butter of this build. To start with, here's a few notes about venoms for those that haven't played with them. First, venoms are instant cast. Clicking them will not interrupt any current ability you're using. If you're charging up a cluster bomb for example, you can click the venoms while the animation is playing and apply them on your next hit. All three can be clicked together and stack on the next hit. Second, venoms don't need to be used in combat, and it's actually better to load them up beforehand. They'll stay on your weapon for 30 seconds after being triggered, more than enough time to find some trouble. Finally, there's an interesting stacking mechanism with abilities that hit multiple targets. From what I've noticed, attacks that bounce will proc the venom applied to each mob for every bounce and only remove one stack of venom from the weapon. Whether this is intended or a bug I'm not sure, but what this means is that the skill Dancing Dagger can apply one stack of venom four times. That means if you bounce the attack between two enemies, you double your venoms on both. For this reason, Pistol/Dagger is your go to weapon set, opening with a stack of venoms if you've applied them and then following with bleeds, shadowstepping back to stay out of trouble while your DoTs do the rest.

Skill 10 Thieves Guild is yet another option in your skill set to avoid damage. The two summons will deal decent damage, one using melee and scorpion wire on the target, the other doing ranged pistol damage and occasionally dropping a smoke field for some blind. The biggest use is during solo play to create something to take the heat off you when you're in over your head. Call out your little friends and stealth to buy some breathing space. Remember, a Thief doesn't believe in a fair fight. Stack the deck in your favor and bring some extra muscle.

Traits:

The build takes 30 Deadly Arts, 30 Shadow Arts and 10 Trickery total. Deadly Arts brings a huge amount of synergy for venoms plus increased condition duration, Shadow Arts mainly brings a team dynamic to venoms, and the extra points go into Trickery for a small boost to condition damage and buff to stealing.

Deadly Arts:

The free traits Serpent's Touch (10 seconds poison on steal), Lotus Poison (3 seconds weakness each poisoning) and Exposed Weakness (10% damage on enemies with conditions) all synergize well with a venom based build. Lotus Poison also applies to your shortbow Choking Gas attack, becoming an AoE weakness debuff on its own that can then stack additional weakness duration if you combo with a Cluster Bomb.

Adept Trait: Mug deals damage when stealing. So many thieves don't steal! It's a very random mechanic but can reward you when used right. The biggest downside to stealing is that it puts you into melee. Counter this by stealing, optionally using the stolen item immediately depending on the situation, then activating one of your escape skills such as Shadow Strike to put you back to ranged. Mug will add some extra pow to your steal.

Master Trait: Quick Venoms make venoms cool down faster. Simple.

Grandmaster Trait: Residual Venom makes all venom skills apply an extra stack. Extremely powerful and well worth the investment.

Shadow Arts:

The free traits Last Refuge (blind and stealth when health drops to 25%) Meld with Shadows (+1 second stealth) and Hidden Assassin (15s Might on stealth) combo well with the Cloak and Dagger and your heal Hide in Shadows. Using stealth is a great way to dodge out of danger and get whatever's chewing on you to go find something else.

Adept Trait: Infusion of Shadow returns 2 initiative when stealthed. Effectively this drops the cost of Cloak and Dagger from 6 initiative to 4 initiative. It also means a small boost to your initiative pool when you activate your heal, but mostly it means Cloak and Dagger can be used more often.

Master Trait: Leeching Venoms is a must for this build. Every time your venom is applied to an enemy you gain health. If you combo the venoms with Dancing Dagger you get even more health. This is where your extra survivability comes from, and why you will be keeping venoms on your weapons whenever they're off cooldown.

Grandmaster Trait: Venomous Aura applies all your venoms to allies. Not only this, but extra boosts you have on the venoms carry over too. This means your allies are healed by Leeching Venoms, they apply 3 seconds of weakness with Lotus Poison, and they apply an extra stack with Residual Venom. The 2 seconds per hit of immobilize from Devourer Venom? Applied with this build and 4 party members, it becomes 30 seconds. Your cooldown on venoms is 36 seconds. In theory, with everyone spamming autoattack at range against a single target using nothing but this one ability, the target could only move for 6 seconds before being chained for another 30, whilst every ally is healed when hitting with a venom.

Trickery:

The freebie Kleptomaniac adds 3 initiative when stealing. The biggest advantage here is that it means you have no concerns about dodging back out of melee because Shadow Strike now becomes effectively 1 initiative to activate. You're in, steal, apply mug damage, poison and weakness, optionally use your stolen item and then back out in less than a second.

Adept Trait: Thrill of the Crime add Fury, Might and Swiftness for 10 seconds to you and your allies. A nice bonus for using what's effectively a free ability.

Overall this one suits my playstyle down to the ground. Stay outta melee, hit the enemy with tons of condition damage and have plenty of escape options when the shit hits the fan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 09, 2012, 01:58:59 am »

For anyone around level 40-50: Don't do the quest "Slay the Shatterer" right now. It's the one where you fight the huge crystalline dragon. It's really buggy about whether it wants to award loot/experience for completing it.

When I did it the first time, I got loot but no experience. This time I got neither. A lot of other people were complaining that they either got neither or just got the loot.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 09, 2012, 05:32:11 am »

Jimmy, you make me wanna roll another poison-based thief build. I always like human female thief with facemask.

Is there any reason to roll two characters with the same professions (but different race) other than variety and different personal story?

And yes I have the tendency to become altoholic. >.>
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 09, 2012, 09:11:16 am »

For anyone around level 40-50: Don't do the quest "Slay the Shatterer" right now. It's the one where you fight the huge crystalline dragon. It's really buggy about whether it wants to award loot/experience for completing it.

When I did it the first time, I got loot but no experience. This time I got neither. A lot of other people were complaining that they either got neither or just got the loot.

Even when working correctly he rarely awards anything, his damage requirement for even a bronze is sky high, even geared lv 80s struggle to get a bronze on him.  And no medal, no loot.  The only way to reliably get a medal is to be on one of the mortars or cannons, but those are camped 30 minutes in advance.  And that's if the lag doesn't screw you over as well.  The fight can get so populated that skill buttons just won't respond for half of the people present.

So yes, fighting the shatterer is an absolute waste of time.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 09, 2012, 02:20:11 pm »

So... Remind me, What world is the Bay12 Guild mainly on again???

Also, any Mesmers out there???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 09, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »

I think it was ehmry bay but I'm not in the game so don't take my word on it.

I play mesmer...in GW1 atm.  :P
Since that probably doesn't count, I played lots of it in beta so ask away maybe I'll know.
So long as it's not about builds, wouldn't know the first thing about optimal builds.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 09, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »

Yeah its generally about builds and such. That and how people feel about Survival States of the Mesmer. I just want to know how people get out of battle during WvW/sPvP fights...

Getting out of battle is SO ANNOYING cause we Mesmers have little to no Movement speed boons or buffs and we have very slow recharging cloaking abilities...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 09, 2012, 03:33:21 pm »

Well there's a couple of useful stealths as far as I remember.

Torch offhand gives The Prestige wich gives a fairly long stealth on reasonable cooldown.
Traits were reworked so no idea if it's still there but you had one that stealthed you when you drop below a certain treshold, perfect to make an escape.
Also decoy stealths you and leaves a clone wich can cover an escape.

Don't know if it will work in wvwvw but in spvp if you manage to be particularly tricky and get the opponent(s) confused on wich if you are the real one you can make an escape as they destroy the illusions you left them with.
Still you'll need a good place to hide because you're not getting far vs an opponent with speedboost, but I've had plenty of occasions where it worked like a charm. Just need to act like an illusion.  :P

Oh I almost forgot the focus speed boost. That should help an escape real nicely. Combine it with something like decoy and off you go I would think.

Since traits and stuff were changed quite a bit there's no way I can comment on those.
All I can say is I ran a heavy illusion build in beta. Double sword for two illusion creating skills. Add in create illusion on dodge for even more of them.
Shatter gave me confusion on every one of them and shattering also did the shatter animation on me. Also illusions had another minor effect if they died instead of shattering.
Also lots of distortion lulz. Chaos all around with so many illusions creating confusion, both the debuff and in the literal sense.

No idea if that's an actual good build, I doubt it will work in heavy aoe situations like wvwvw where illusion just get destroyed second they are up.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 09, 2012, 04:46:36 pm »

Even when working correctly he rarely awards anything, his damage requirement for even a bronze is sky high, even geared lv 80s struggle to get a bronze on him.  And no medal, no loot.  The only way to reliably get a medal is to be on one of the mortars or cannons, but those are camped 30 minutes in advance.  And that's if the lag doesn't screw you over as well.  The fight can get so populated that skill buttons just won't respond for half of the people present.

So yes, fighting the shatterer is an absolute waste of time.

I did it twice today, got bronze the first time and silver the second time. The loot was ok, but nothing i could use. Also i didnt use mortars or anything, i just shot my rifle and used grenades on the minion packs.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2012, 09:09:38 pm »

I knew it was bound to happen, but I am still surprised by how fast sneaking became obsolete in Pvp. I am just rank 5, but people are already becoming consistently good at point watching, and it seems like every other build out there is depressingly more effective than any of the ones I have tried. (I really wish they would make a GW2 version of that DPS measuring NPC. I tried a pistol/initiative/critical build, but seemed fairly useless despite hitting enemies most of the time.)
I think I will try using a condition build like Astral suggested.
Soaplent green is goblins!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 09, 2012, 11:02:35 pm »

Just spent 1.5 gold to get another bank page. Being poor has never felt so good.

Speaking of being poor, what happens when you die without enough money to get to a waypoint? Are you just screwed until someone comes and saves you?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »

If you have absolutely no money you are allowed to respawn at no charge.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 10, 2012, 01:30:39 am »

So I'm currently having a crisis of build on my Ranger, and I was wondering if I could get a bit of feedback from some more intelligent/attentive people, as I'm not much of a number cruncher myself. x)

Here's the build: http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.6.4.9.17.0.0.0.0.0.132.138.140.139.151.9.9.48.379.383.386.0.0.0.408.412.417.425.0.0.0.0.0.30.0.30.10.0

And here's the rationale:

I'd like a build that is mobile and good at surviving (AKA running away or kiting). I decided that focusing on Conditions would be my best bet with this theme in mind.

So let's say I max Marksmanship and Wilderness Survival. Those help my Condition Damage and Duration. Additionally, they raise my Power and Toughness. So, from this point, I know that my gear should be specced towards Conditions, Power, and Toughness to make the most out of these traits, and pretty much ignore anything about Criticals.

Next, my weapon sets, skills, and perks. Since I'm going Cond, the Axe+Dagger or Axe+Torch seems logical for their wealth of condition attacks, plus that one Freeze skill to help with kiting. For my other set, I'm torn between Shortbow or Longbow. Any tips? I'm enjoying the Shortbow's rapid fire, but I feel like that lends itself more to a Crit build. If I'm going Power, a Longbow is possibly the better choice?

Marksmanship's perks allow my bows to piece targets; great for a Condition build, I feel. Additionally, it unlocks the awesome powers of Signets, including the 6s invulnerability from Signet of Stone; this falls in line with my "Mobility/Survival" desires.

So now I know that I'll be a Conditions/Power/Toughness focused Signet build, and I have 10 points left to spare.

Both Nature Magic and Beastmastery have great lvl 1 perks: Nature's one grants Regen when I drop to 75% health. Beastmastery's one grants Zephyr's Speed when I swap pets. Alternatively, I could dump all 10 points into Nature and pick up "Strength of Spirit", which adds 5% of Vitality into Power, further supporting my chosen traitlines. I think I prefer this, as 2s of Quickness is all too fleeting when it can only be triggered once every 20 seconds.

Lastly, I have no idea what Runes and Sigils to go with. On the build calculator I just picked something that looks not completely idiotic.

Any thoughts? Sorry for such a long post. Feel free to ignore it... I wrote it partially just to get the ideas out of my own head. xD
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:32:24 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 10, 2012, 10:13:53 am »

Any thoughts? Sorry for such a long post. Feel free to ignore it... I wrote it partially just to get the ideas out of my own head. xD

if you want to go bleeding - consider using the shortbow. it is easy to kite your enemies. For WvW consider using a Longbow - the sharpening stone skill seems to work with barrage, last i tried.

also: can't look at your build as it wants me to view a video first.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:26 am »

On a precursory glance... here are a few questions.

How often do you use the signets? 
Do you find yourself using them often or ignoring/forgetting to use em in the middle of combat? 
If you use them often, I would suggest looking into the active skills... (The 10s of invulnerability looks pretty good... but, its got a long cooldown, even with the reduction.)

Shortbow,if you find yourself fighting close to the enemy often, it is better.  But, since you are using the axe... you may be better served with the Longbow, hit them while far away, switch to axe when facing multiple enemies and/or they get close and your knockback is on cooldown.
On the otherhand, shortbows have a flanking bonus, if you take advantage of that often, it is the way to go.

I want to suggest This build..  With this... you could switch out the lower tier skills for signet or survival reduction...
In my opinion, its more important to get skills that go with your tactic/playstyle over the stats.  Also, between longbow and axe, you may want to switch weapons often as you get into and out of range.

@hachnslay: google adblock wins the day.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 86