Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188192 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: "sentient vegetable engineers with flamethrowers"
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2012, 03:23:09 pm »

Y'know I never even really thought of making a warrior, but that story alone makes me want to.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

I suppose they could just be very dwarven and taking off with them to try to determine where they come from when a warrior summons it.

They might be made out of supermetal or something too.  The loading screen for WvW shows the warrior elite banners shooting down like meteors.  Maybe they are a super space metal they take to make into their infinite hammerspace arrows.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:27 pm »

Secretly Guild Wars takes place in the Warhammer universe.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2012, 06:35:10 am »

Popping in to show my support for this one. I'll be starting in pre-release with 8 characters (one of each profession) and I'll update with my character names when it's started. Hope to catch some Bay-12ers in game, but my timezone is Mon-Fri 9PM-12PM GMT +10.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:51 am »

Stress Test today (yes, again)!

Quote from: ArenaNet
We will be conducting a Stress Test on Friday, August 10 from 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time to 8:00 PM PACIFIC Time.

REMEMBER: We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed. Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch. By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

Additional notes:

* Stress Tests are open to those who have PRE-PURCHASED the game.

* Characters will not be wiped for tomorrow's Stress Test.

Source: Facebook (no account needed to view, which is good since I don't have one).

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2012, 01:26:18 pm »

I finally caved in and bought the game today to make sure i'm in the prerelease. Right now it's downloading at ~700KB/sec, 66%/11.2GB done.

Hopefully i can test a few things tonight if there's a stress test (for me it should be between 1 am and 5 am)

Edit : i have now played a few hours as an asuran engineer, it was a good experience despite the occasional display glitch. I didnt feel like i was forced down a path, and there were plenty of mini events happening around me. The only thing that i really disliked was getting (as a drop) a small chest that needed a cash-shop key to open. That's the kind of thing i would expect from seedy F2P mmos and it was a bit disappointing (and i checked the price of the keys, it wasn't cheap either). Also the weird fact that you can't just switch servers however you want, and again you need to pay to do it. I've played my fair share of cheap F2P asian mmos, but i think it's the first time i see something like that. I'm used to being able to choose any server to create a new character on.

But still, as long as the game itself is good, i guess i'll overlook those things. Playing as an asuran engineer with a rifle remembered me of playing Tristana in League of legends (similar knockback shot and rocket jump, same kind of creature...). I'm kinda interested in seeing more of the world and other classes, but from now on i'll wait for the proper launch, i don't really want to spoil the pleasure by discovering too much content too early.

Oh, a quick question, when i created my character, i had the choice between an eyepatch, a backpack and a pair of googles, are those only for looks or does it have an influence on something? I ask that because i might not want to keep the same old backpack for all my career, and also i've seen a PNJ with nice looking googles (worn on the forehead), and i'm wondering if i can get that sort of stuff.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:33:08 pm by Sirian »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2012, 01:26:41 am »

The restriction on playing multiple servers is due to the WvWvW game, so no one can play multiple sides. Still, there's a guesting system that lets you play on other servers if you have friends there. Gems can be purchased with in-game gold, so there's no need to spend real cash in the cash shop, its just faster. The goggles, backpack, etc. are just an inventory item you get at the start, so you can swap them out when you find something else that fits in the slot.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2012, 10:32:28 am »

Yea with the eyepatch thing there was a similar question for warriors, what kind of helmet you wear.  I think it slightly adjusts your dignity,charm, whatever bar (which only seems to allow a couple options in dialog trees) and determines starting gear.

And that graphics glitch was really the only big bug for the last two stress tests, so it seems like they are doing a very good job of having everything ready.  The last stress test was laggy, but if I understand it right it was because they turned off the overflow servers to test the main ones.  The lag was heavy, but they didn't completely buckle, which probably means good things for the stability of their network stuff.   Impressive to have half your servers disabled, and still have a playable online game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2012, 12:39:58 pm »

The last stress test was the first one that I experienced rubber-banding in. I did note that my framerate had gone up quite a margin (using the nVidia beta drivers) compared to even the last stress test, so my biggest fear has subsided.

I do agree with you, Sirian, that those random chests are not a lot of fun. I believe they are offered in a separate loot table, so we don't "lose" the chance at a regular item ... but still, getting one does feel a bit like those shady free-2-play games.

I suppose the strongest counter-argument in support of them would be that you can trade in-game currency for the real-money gems, but even so: the exchange rate will probably not be very good, and the items inside it are too much like playing the lottery for my taste.

Having said all that, I'm still very eager to play this. Seems like I want to play it more after each stress test, which is not normal for me when it comes to such things.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

I wasn't able to log in last night for the stress test  :-[ it wouldn't connect to the login server

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2012, 02:54:02 pm »

I wasn't able to log in last night for the stress test  :-[ it wouldn't connect to the login server
I ended up getting an error ... uh, forget the number, it was like "Error 48" or something, then it would say that it couldn't connect to the login server. I had to put in my password manually and uncheck the "keep password" option in the launcher. Not sure if that is what you had a problem with or not, though.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 11, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »

Probably...didn't try that though. Guess I will at launch if it has issues. Thanks for the pointer.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 11, 2012, 09:14:19 pm »

Oh, a quick question, when i created my character, i had the choice between an eyepatch, a backpack and a pair of googles, are those only for looks or does it have an influence on something? I ask that because i might not want to keep the same old backpack for all my career, and also i've seen a PNJ with nice looking googles (worn on the forehead), and i'm wondering if i can get that sort of stuff.

Pick the option at character creation that you like most cosmetically. It doesn't have any significant impact on your gameplay but the item you choose can be applied as a cosmetic skin to other gear you acquire later. I recommend saving all your starter gear in the bank in case you want to apply the skin to other gear, especially cool stuff like the Necromancer's Wraith mask. I haven't seen anyone pull a random drop that looks the same as starter gear, so chances are if you destroy it it's gone forever.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

I just bought this game because.... I dunno, it just seemed to be the most appealing MMO I've ever seen. The way combat works alone is enough to get me interested, the whole 'click on things and wait for them to die' never really appealed to me.

I'm probably going to be an engineer, in most games similar to thing I've played as melee classes and I want to try something a little different.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »

Another stress test, wow they are rapidfiring these things lately.

We will be conducting a stress test TOMORROW Sunday, August 12 from 11:00 AM PACIFIC Time to 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time.

Just an hour this time though.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 86