Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speardwarves?  (Read 5493 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speardwarves?
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:29 am »

Should I give steel or adamantine spears to my speardwarves? Hopefully this won't get derailed like all my threads.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

tdreyer1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • timdreyer.com
Re: Speardwarves?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:49 am »

Adamantine if you have it.
The Cheese Maker loses hold of the +adamantine bathroom tissue+.
The flying +adamantine bathroom tissue+ strikes The Cheese Maker in the lower body from behind and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Urist McButterfingers, Cheese Maker has been struck down.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:55 am »

SAUSAGES, ALBATROSSESESES,
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:58 am »

So how about that airline food?

Sit down and lemme teach ya a thing er two

Weapon/Armor Materials

Weapon Research (might still be valid, from 2010)
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:48:29 am »

I don't think metal and weapon raws have been changed, so it should be fine.

Rule of thumb is that adamantine is best for armor and anything that needs to be sharp, silver seems prefered for blunt.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

Silver penetrates armour best, steel crits more (with blunt weapons). Against armoured enemies silver blunt weapons are always your best choice it would seem (Not sure how they work against Titans and FB due to body composition etc)
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:07 am »

Silver penetrates armour best, steel crits more (with blunt weapons). Against armoured enemies silver blunt weapons are always your best choice it would seem (Not sure how they work against Titans and FB due to body composition etc)

Well its been thrown around a few hundred times that a spear will generally do you a lot of good against anything huge with working organs that bleeds
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:26:01 am »

If you have access to candy, it's the best thing for any edged weapon, including spears.

It's been suggested that a dwarf with one steel layer of armor surrounded by candy is somewhat more uber-armored than a dwarf clad only in candy, at least as far as absorbing blunt hits go. And of course candy is useless for making blunt weapons themselves (and, in this version, crossbow bolts, which act more like bullets than sharp stabby things). Other than that, there are no reasons not to make all your armor and weapons out of candy over any other material, assuming you have enough candy.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

NAH WOOD IS BEST CUZ IM ELF. ELFZ NO BEST. WOOD IS SO GOOD CUZ- ooh dwarf children (gets binoculars)
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »

If its edged go for Candy, if its blunt steel/bronze or silver

And my understanding of the issues with candy arrows was that it penetrated too good, that it hit and embedded in the wound without transferring any damage to surrounding tissue

Whereas a bolt of another metal wouldn't penetrate as well and thus would also cause some extra crushing damage as it penetrated the armor/flesh

So if your enemy has "decent" armor candy arrows might be okay
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:46 pm »

Candy is great for anything except maces and hammers. I'm not so sure about bolts, they seem to have a very low penetration range that they often lodge in the wound, even if made of silver which has a bad penetration value.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 08:12:28 pm »

Steel warhammers tend to glance off of a bronze colussus, while steel spears and axes can chip parts and chop them off.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:16:37 pm »

The only drawback to using bluemetal for spears is that they are not just stabby-slicy weapons.  The are also used like staves, so there are the occasional blunt attacks.  Of course, the insane sharpness of the bluemetal blade would probably more than compensate for the nerf-like results of bashing with said spear.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 02:38:22 am »

The only drawback to using bluemetal for spears is that they are not just stabby-slicy weapons.  The are also used like staves, so there are the occasional blunt attacks.  Of course, the insane sharpness of the bluemetal blade would probably more than compensate for the nerf-like results of bashing with said spear.

It's rare that they're used in that manner, and axes, swords, and pretty much everything but scourges can also be used in that manner, so bluemetal is still good.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 04:20:42 am »

If I only had a very limited amount of adamantine then I'd probably save it for shortswords myself, because they're the most versatile weapon available to you by default in fortress mode; if your lads are aggressive-patrolling down in the caverns you can't always predict whether they'll need a weapon best suited for appendage-removing or vital organ-piercing. If you're dealing with the restless dead on the other hand, definitely go with adamantine spears.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2