Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 557817 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4500 on: June 12, 2020, 05:54:55 pm »

Pork loins are hard to cook.  The only way I've found to cook them so that they don't turn out dry as saw dust is to smoke them at a low temperature in an electric smoker.  Even slow cookers dry them out.

When I make BBQ, I use pork shoulders instead, and it seems to work pretty well.  Apply dry rub, smoke for 2 hours, then slow cook for about 8 hours more on low.  Sauce as desired.

Anyway, tonight, I made spaghetti nero with some cuttlefish ink my brother bought.  Turned out pretty good, but a bit salty this time for some reason.  I also put some shrimp in it to complement the slight seafood hints the ink adds to the spaghetti.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: June 14, 2020, 09:26:51 pm »

Pork loins are hard to cook.  The only way I've found to cook them so that they don't turn out dry as saw dust is to smoke them at a low temperature in an electric smoker.  Even slow cookers dry them out.

When I make BBQ, I use pork shoulders instead, and it seems to work pretty well.  Apply dry rub, smoke for 2 hours, then slow cook for about 8 hours more on low.  Sauce as desired.

Yeah, loin is too good a cut of meat for that. Wrapped in fat (usually cheap bacon, but whatever fat you got), then grilled and cut into steaks. Medium should be enough, but medium-rare might be a bit chewy because it's pork.

Butts or shoulders or whatever is cheapest (after including any extra weight from a bone) is good in a slow cooker.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: June 15, 2020, 07:58:51 pm »

Pork loin is a staple in my home.

I make it in the oven. I sear it in a pan first (20-30s a side or so on very high heat) then put it in the oven for 25m at 400 (more or less depending on the size of the lion). I season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and whatever else crosses my fancy. Sometimes I put a hoisin-based sauce over it. Tends to get all nice and sticky and good.

The end result is basically a medium-well pork loin, which is perfectly safe and keeps plenty of moisture inside. Served sliced.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: June 15, 2020, 08:10:14 pm »

I decided to use my leftover pulled pork juices as a pizza sauce.

Two ham and champignon pizzas later, I find out it probably wasn't a good idea. Far too sweet, doesn't mesh well with the salty and spicy ham.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:11:48 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: June 17, 2020, 11:03:07 am »

Today I made chicken-bacon-and-sundriedtomatoes-canneloni and it was very great. The recipe is not anything original I guess but I put the whole thing together in my head, so I am proud.
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: June 19, 2020, 09:16:19 pm »

Made shakshuka for the first time today, and made a few small mistakes.  I put in a bit more cayenne in than I should have, so it was spicier than I liked it, but the big mistake was overcooking the eggs.  I actually don't really like runny eggs, but for this I wanted to give it a shot.  Unfortunately, the eggs went from the whites not being cooked to oops the yolks are cooked through in about 2 minutes.

Oh well, I'll adjust the spices a bit next time and be more careful with the timing on the eggs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: June 20, 2020, 02:37:32 pm »

Made shakshuka for the first time today, and made a few small mistakes.  I put in a bit more cayenne in than I should have, so it was spicier than I liked it, but the big mistake was overcooking the eggs.  I actually don't really like runny eggs, but for this I wanted to give it a shot.  Unfortunately, the eggs went from the whites not being cooked to oops the yolks are cooked through in about 2 minutes.

Oh well, I'll adjust the spices a bit next time and be more careful with the timing on the eggs.

2 minutes? Yeah, eggs are usually cooked in 1 minute.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: June 20, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »

A Persian family friend gifted us a bunch of berberis berries like what she puts in here rice

And today I made berberis berry rice for the first time. I slightly burned the berries, because I have the attention span of half a goldfish.

Berberis berry rice is almost as great to say in English as in Swedish

For us it's berberisbärris
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: June 20, 2020, 06:53:08 pm »

Well, it's simmered at a low temperature and it took 8 minutes for the whites to stop being translucent.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: June 21, 2020, 11:29:54 am »

Found some recipes for different sorts of biscuits and rolls and things, and now I've caught the baking bug. Send help. And flour.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:49 am »

Dwarfy recommends cheesecake.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: June 22, 2020, 05:00:43 am »

Raspberry caves are always great and easy to make.

If you can get rhubarb I have a great rhubarb, coco, and white chocolate muffins recepy I can translate. It's really great.

I always suggest October cake but it's the wrong season, sadly
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: June 22, 2020, 08:48:11 am »

Well, it's simmered at a low temperature and it took 8 minutes for the whites to stop being translucent.

Putting a lid over the top helps some, although it can cook the yolk as well. I guess it needs a bit more heat?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:46:25 am by Iduno »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: June 22, 2020, 09:59:16 am »

Probably so.  I actually tried it with a pot lid on it to help steam the eggs from above, and even used a transparent one so I could keep an eye on them.  That may actually have been the mistake: since I could see the eggs, I probably let them cook too long thinking they weren't done enough yet, but if I were taking the lid off and actually poking them I could have judged how done they were.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: June 22, 2020, 12:41:05 pm »

Is this appropriate to post here? I think it is.

https://mckitterick.tumblr.com/post/178948984570 - tumblr trying to make an ancient archaeological grilled cheese.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 334