Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553080 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2655 on: April 06, 2015, 12:16:21 pm »

Bauglir's Awful Egg Boiling Strategy:

Fill a pot with water
Put eggs
Boil for however long
Method diverges:
   A) Leave and play video games for hours, come back to find eggs burnt and room full of smoke
   B) Remove eggs from pot too early, finish in microwave, peel. Eggs explode when bit, causing steam burns and sticking yolk to walls.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: April 06, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »

Bauglir's Awful Egg Boiling Strategy:

Fill a pot with water
Put eggs
Boil for however long
Method diverges:
   A) Leave and play video games for hours, come back to find eggs burnt and room full of smoke
   B) Remove eggs from pot too early, finish in microwave, peel. Eggs explode when bit, causing steam burns and sticking yolk to walls.
My method is pretty similar, but it requires dropping the eggs into boiling water from a great height. Tending to second-degree burns is an essential part of the cooking process.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 06, 2015, 05:08:11 pm »

And quite a few of them have things like oyster sauce, dried shrimp etc that nobody really mentions, particularly if you're victim to the language barrier

Same with Japan; really, really hard to find vegetarian dishes outside of major cities. Pescetarian, sure, but not vegetarian, and explaining that bonito flakes mean it no longer counts is fiddly.

disclaimer: I am not vegetarian, but I did once spend a week in Japan mostly in the company of someone who is.

Adding to the dificulty, the English word 'meat' generally gets translated as 'niku' in Japanese, and when Japanese people hear 'niku' it only brings to mind red meat. So you try to tell someone you don't eat meat, and after translation it comes through as 'I don't eat red meat', which leaves the impression that poultry and seafood are fine. And a waiter/vendor will answer no to the question 'does this have meat in it' (and believe they are correct) even if fish or chicken is the main ingredient. Add to the language barrier the fact that dashi (a fish and seaweed broth) and dry seasoning blends containing dried fish or shrimp are ubiquitous in traditional Japanese cuisine, and that most processed foods in Japan contain pork extract as a flavor enhancer, and the number of places where you can get actual vegetarian food in Japan becomes vanishingly small.

I've heard that Mandarin has a similar issue with the translation of meat, but don't speak enough Mandarin to know for myself if that's correct or not.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 06, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:24:29 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: April 07, 2015, 04:27:58 am »

disclaimer: I am not vegetarian, but I did once spend a week in Japan mostly in the company of someone who is.

Similar story, except I was there for a year. My friends eventually gave up, and just went by the rule that if they couldn't see meaty bits, it was good enough.

-Snip-

I do something a little different, and it's never failed. I originally got it from Kenji Lopez over at www.seriouseats.com.

Bring a saucepan full of water to a gentle boil (just bubbling over) first; because you have the water already boiling, it works for virtually any size pot (as there is no size-dependent heating gradient).

Lower eggs in gently (I use 60g eggs usually) and cook for 10 minutes for hardboiled (yet with a still moist yolk) or IIRC 7 minutes for softboiled (set white, oozing golden runny yolk).

When the timer goes, immediately place the eggs into a bowl of ice water for 30-60s. Perfection everytime.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 07, 2015, 06:30:37 am »

-eggs eggs eggs-
Hmm, interesting. Do you keep the heat on and the water boiling the full 10 minutes?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 07, 2015, 07:29:33 am »

Yep, sorry forgot to mention that.

EDIT: Here's the link. Turns out it was 6 mins for soft boiled. Also, while he says 11 for HB, I use 10 and like the end result more. I also don't both with switching between different types of boil, or putting the lid on; in either case, you're basically sitting at 100 C, so just do it at a gentle simmer, and it works fine.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:35:52 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: April 08, 2015, 02:13:44 pm »

OH MY GOD WE HAVE SHERBET IN THIS HOUSE. HOUSE IS 400% YUMMIER.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 09, 2015, 07:42:27 am »

Tried to make wraps using rice fried with Treet(a cheaper, better-tasting thing similar to SPAM). Could have gone worse. Ended up with a lot more than I thought I would.

OH MY GOD WE HAVE SHERBET IN THIS HOUSE. HOUSE IS 400% YUMMIER.

D-did the sherbet integrate with the house, converting it to an edible mass?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: April 09, 2015, 11:39:22 am »

Nachos!   :D

I'm curious what other people do.  Me and my roommate make nachos once every two weeks, usually I do the initial prep work, and he puts it together.

Ingredients:
- Corn Chips
- Medium or Hot Salsa
- Cheddar
- Olives
- Red Bell Peppers
- Tomatoes
- Kale
- Onion
- Microwave

Instead of a pan, he builds them on a plate ready to go into the microwave, building up layers.  Its pretty good.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:40 pm »

I'm curious what other people do.  Me and my roommate make nachos once every two weeks, usually I do the initial prep work, and he puts it together.

Ingredients:
- Corn Chips
- Medium or Hot Salsa
- Cheddar
- Olives
- Red Bell Peppers
- Tomatoes
- Kale
- Onion
- Microwave

Instead of a pan, he builds them on a plate ready to go into the microwave, building up layers.  Its pretty good.

My nacho method:

Pile tortilla chips and whatever kind of cheese (shreaded) you have available onto a stoneware (or other oven-safe) plate.
Put the plate in the oven, heat until the cheese melts, and remove from the oven.
Add toppings of choice. My frequent toppings include salsa, sour cream, guacamole, black olives, sliced chili peppers, chopped onion, and chopped tomato.

The oven method keeps the chips crisper than using the microwave.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 09, 2015, 03:16:08 pm »

Ingredients:
- Corn Chips
- Medium or Hot Salsa
- Cheddar
- Olives
- Red Bell Peppers
- Tomatoes
- Kale
- Onion
- Microwave

If its for a meal I usualy microwave cheese and steak onto corn chips then dip in bbq sauce
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: April 09, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »

Tending to second-degree burns is an essential part of the cooking process.

It's the main part, in my experience, both flipping burgers, and at home.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 10, 2015, 05:22:06 am »

You probably shouldn't be using your face as a cooking implement.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 10, 2015, 05:24:16 am »

No, you just use your hands with out things like a spatula.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 334