Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Grisly Megaproject  (Read 9618 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Grisly Megaproject
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »

Should you build this in an evil area, you may run the risk of your fortress itself coming to life and eating it's own inhabitants.
The thought of a massive skeleton coming to life and rampaging across the countryside is both horrifying and hilarious at the same time.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 05:59:02 pm »

Should you build this in an evil area, you may run the risk of your fortress itself coming to life and eating it's own inhabitants.
The thought of a massive skeleton coming to life and rampaging across the countryside is both horrifying and hilarious at the same time.
More the thought of a massive fortress shaped like a skeleton, with the dwarves inside sliding around, tipping themselves in odd directions so their booze doesn't spill while they drink it... But if viewed from the outside, terrifying.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6180 Here you go, Bomepie, in case you haven't gotten the modding done yet. This'll let you make walls of bone - and possibly furniture. Disappointingly, I couldn't figure out how to separate stacks, so a stack of bones will equal a single block... Which ought to significantly increase the amount of carnage required. Forgive my modding newbancy.

EDIT: vermin remains appear to work as well, so that ought to make it easier...

I'm out of shape on the DF modding, I've got the reaction working from your files, now I'm trying to figure out how to get a stockpile to take the blocks, make sure they can fit in bits, and see if I can fix the using whole stacks of bone issue.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:01:26 pm by Bomepie »
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6180 Here you go, Bomepie, in case you haven't gotten the modding done yet. This'll let you make walls of bone - and possibly furniture. Disappointingly, I couldn't figure out how to separate stacks, so a stack of bones will equal a single block... Which ought to significantly increase the amount of carnage required. Forgive my modding newbancy.

EDIT: vermin remains appear to work as well, so that ought to make it easier...

I'm out of shape on the DF modding, I've got the reaction working from your files, now I'm trying to figure out how to get a stockpile to take the blocks, make sure they can fit in bits, and see if I can fix the using whole stacks of bone issue.
It may require some additional modding - I can't seem to make stockpiles accept it either, but it's at least got the framework set up...  (note, this is my first time doing anything like this, so...) If nothing else you can have it arranged to be dumped where you want it.

...cue helpful forumites with solution...?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:08:40 pm by Talvieno »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:56 pm »

add IS_STONE to the bone material you make the blocks/boulders of.

If you do find a solution for the stack-problem, please let me know, so far as I know there is none...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 07:30:31 pm »

If reactions that make bone bolts and render fat work then there should be a fix for the stacking somewhere, but for now I'm just going to suck it up and live with it. I've got the blocks in the metal pile now, so that's not a problem anymore.

I'm now trying to figure out butchering dead dwarves, I modded the ethics for default entity to not mind sentient and same race trophies but I'm not sure what else I need to do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:56:36 pm by Bomepie »

The All Guardsmen Party

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:14 pm »

The bone bolt reaction is hardcoded, there is no raw-example to copy from. So far I know of no modder that managed to get rid of the stack problem, I myself did try hard and failed. I really hope I am wrong though.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 10:51:33 pm »

If I can figure out how to render goblins, elves, humans, and migrants to bones I'll be set to pick a design and get started.

The All Guardsmen Party

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:31 pm »

I haven't figured out the migrants bit - after all, you're not allowed to butcher non-butcher-killed animals unless it's your military that kills them. Even if they die of old age - cannot be butchered. Fall 10 z's - can't be butchered. You'd have to find a way to make the migrants go berserk, and then kill them. :\ Ethics are easy enough to mod so you can butcher sentients... But I have no idea how to get the migrant-butchering to work.

The bone bolt reaction is hardcoded, there is no raw-example to copy from. So far I know of no modder that managed to get rid of the stack problem, I myself did try hard and failed. I really hope I am wrong though.
While disappointed, I don't feel quite so bad about my failure after reading this. lol

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:17 am »

One way to deal with the stack problem in an approximate way would be to code the reaction to produce the number of blocks equal to the size of the average number of bones per stack you would expect to see.  If your average stack is 5 and you set a stack to create 5 blocks, then on average you're creating one block per bone.

This solution is pretty rough, but over the long term the inconsistencies in the individual stack sizes would even out.  It might be worth shredding a few waves of invaders to find out what the math is like on that.
At last, she is done.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 12:19:58 am »

Yes, that is the only near-workaround that can be used. The problem is that a rotted arm counts as a bone, but a butchered cow leaves 12(16?) bones in one stack. It is still vastly inaccurate. I did do some reaction using bones, and I would like to do more, but I wont, simply because of the stack problem.

Maybe giving bone a reaction_class and then using the reagent NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE has_reaction_class ? Which would of course also lead to all produced items from bones count towards that reaction... so no... ah... this and ammo stacking would be so nice...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:10 am »

At the moment vermin and unprocessed fish count as bones - which vastly increases how many bone blocks you can create. If there's a way to cut that out, and Bomepie decided that's what he wants to do, then we might need to work out the average-blocks-per-bone problem. As it is, building a fortress from bones is simple - provided you have the fish/vermin/invaders for it. (though, honestly, blocks from vermin doesn't sound quite as terrifying...)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:12 am »

Remains and unprocessed fish ?

For remains use this: REMAINS:NONE:NONE:NONE
For bones: NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE & USE_BODY_COMPONENT & ANY_BONE_MATERIAL

That should seperate them.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 02:07:16 am »

USE_BODY_COMPONENT
Ahhhh, that's the one I was missing.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:55 am »

I think I'm going to have to throw in the towel on the migrant bones. Instead I'll just try to feature their coffins/slabs at some point in the construction so they don't go completely to waste.

I'm planning to slaughter all incoming animals, so while there will be some sheep and llama bones in the construction, they will be sheep and llamas that undertook the journey to the fortress willingly with full knowledge of their eventual end. I deem this dwarfy enough.

With no migrant bones I may need to see about modding the number of invaders upwards, or I'll be sitting around way too long waiting for bones. I think that's something I can do after world gen though, so I can get started choosing the site and designing the project.

Remains and unprocessed fish ?

For remains use this: REMAINS:NONE:NONE:NONE
For bones: NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE & USE_BODY_COMPONENT & ANY_BONE_MATERIAL

That should seperate them.

So this should make it so rat bone blocks don't start showing up?

The All Guardsmen Party
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6