Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The "Happy Birthday Toady" Project(s)  (Read 6393 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Happy Birthday Toady" Project(s)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:02 pm »

Btw when I embarked on that birthday volcano I got the message that a shrine had been discovered. I assume this shrine is the random perfect rectangle of basalt, with basalt pillars of random height and a hill titan chillaxin in it. WTF is this. Doesn't seem like something that could be modded in so I assume its a vanilla feature. Never encountered or heard of this. So what gives?

They're primarily only encountered in Adventure Mode, when you get quests to kill titans. Otherwise, they rarely come up.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »

wasn't there a happy birthday fort that worked by pulling a lever and seeing happy birthday form in plumes of magma-mist ?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 01:11:56 pm »

I'll be putting something here, probably a fort with war giant toads. Who can talk. And are nobles.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:03 pm »

All significant creatures live somewhere.  Titans don't just wander in from the mist, they live in shrines.  You can stumble upon them extremely rarely.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:47 pm »

I have a dremel and a box of old Saguaro ribs that are ~1 ft long from my old DF materials property research.

I've been toying with the idea of making an "artifact" out of it for Toady and shipping it over in a tube mailer, but I'm a dabbling wood carver at best.

Any ideas?

Hope for a strange mood.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »

Hope for a strange mood.

I forgot to scale it down before uploading.  Oops.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This must have been a possession, because there was definitely no skill gain.  So assuming I can find an appropriate tube mailer reasonably soon, Toady will end up with a crappy wooden artifact and maybe a few dwarfbucks.  That's pretty dwarven... right?

I just hope I don't end up in an "unfortunate accident" after this....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:29:04 pm by Uristocrat »
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »

Man, now I want a birthday log...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:38 pm »

As do I. If I got anything on my birthday, I would be ecstatic for the next of the season!

Unfortunately I'm too broke to donate and too busy with !!PSYCHOLOGY!! assignments to actually play DF, so I can't do anything for Toady's birthday...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 06:07:35 pm »

Happy birthday Toady, eat healthy so you'll have many more!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 03:40:09 am »

As do I. If I got anything on my birthday, I would be ecstatic for the next of the season!

Unfortunately I'm too broke to donate and too busy with !!PSYCHOLOGY!! assignments to actually play DF, so I can't do anything for Toady's birthday...

I actually offered to send saguaro rib wood samples to anyone who wanted to replicate my experiments in deriving its density, but nobody ever took me up on the offer.  I still have a huge box of it sitting right beside me in my room and no clue what to do with it now that I know that the density of saguaro rib wood is approximately 430 kg/m^3.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 [2]