Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Videogame-Induced Pacifism?  (Read 7451 times)

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Videogame-Induced Pacifism?
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:56:04 pm »

I grew up with video games. Most of my childhood and adolescence were spent stomping on or shooting a variety of virtual monsters. I immersed myself in the worlds of Mario, the lone wanderer, Gordon Freeman and Master Chief.

Once in a while, probably after watching me mow down counter terrorists in counterstrike, my parents would come to me and voice their concern for my sanity with the usual remarks:

"Now don't go thinking that shooting someone will solve anything,"
"Son, are you upset at something?"
"Why don't you go outside?"

Between their (reasonable) concern and the numerous news stories written about how violent media was destroying the moral fabric of America's youth, you'd think that the "gaming generation" would grow up and begin to bunny hop down the street, busting out a flamethrower after every disagreement.

We all already mostly agree that violent media doesn't make people violent, and this topic has been discussed to death probably everywhere on the internet. But another interesting question arises... has videogame violence generally made gamers more opposed to violence?

My videogame-playing friends have expressed similar feelings now that most of us have grown up into generally well-adjusted adults. Video games seem relatively existential, in that while you may become immersed in the action, you're still generally aware that you're playing a game and you will usually know that it isn't really that important. Does that perspective cross over into our perception of the real world?

The absurdity of violence in games like Postal and DOOM seems to have made real world violence look even more absurd. Violence seems to belong on a screen, and not in the real world at all. This may just be part of the maturing process, but it seems strange that a culture so obsessed with fictional violence would reject it in real world affairs.

I'm guessing most of us here enjoy violent videogames. I'm also guessing that most of us here also play dwarf fortress, maybe one of the most "violent" (as far as ASCII goes) games in existence. How do you feel about real world violence compared to media violence? Do you believe that videogames have affected your attitudes towards violence in general?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame-Induced Pacifism?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:24:52 pm »

Nope I have slaughtered millions of people in civilization, shoot hundreds in COD and other shooters, killed thousands of goblins and willingly slaughtered my dwarves, and yet still am non-confrentational. If you are inclinded to violence I don't think video games will change any thing, and same goes for pacifists. I think media violence is totally fine, because of the former sentance. Real world violence hurts real people and is hence bad, unless you don't like the people.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 04:32:49 pm »

I dunno.  I was inclined to agree at first, because I used to be a very /angry/ kid and have mellowed tremendously with age, but I think it's mostly just called "growing up".

Besides, what exactly do you consider "opposed to violence"?  I think most adults don't think violence belongs in the real world, either.  Wars horrify pretty much /everyone/.  (Except for when you think the other side has it comin', or whatever.)  I don't see a significantly above-average proportion of video-game-playing peace activists, so...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »

I have killed tens of thousands of Majinis singlehandedly in RE5, and I can only think I'm a better person for it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:06:00 pm »

In opposition to the common views here I will say that I've been very violent in a lot of games, but at the same time I have some severe anger issues.

I personally don't think there's a connection, but I can get pretty bothered over nothing if I don't use certain methods to keep myself in check.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »

The more I play video games the less opportunity I have to be violent, because I'm too busy playing games.   :P

I honestly believe that video games work more as therapy than an instigator. 

Give a violent person a violent game and they will probably have their urge to be violent fulfilled.
I also suspect that if you give sex-offenders games where they can play out their fantasies(along with education), they would be less likely to recommit sexual crimes.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »

I think parenting matters a lot here. RevolutionaryDorf's parents obviously hammered the point home that violence wasn't a good way to solve problems, and probably taught them better ways to do it, so it's understandable that they grew to see violence as an absurd thing that only belonged on a screen. I think how violent fantasy (or any other fiction) affects a person very much depends on that context.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »

...I don't see a significantly above-average proportion of video-game-playing peace activists, so...

This is a good point, and I should add the disclaimer that this is all casual discussion, based nowhere in scientific fact or held to any sort of research standard. And of course videogames wouldn't be the sole cause of someone "opposing" violence. Culture and environment have a much greater sway over that. The question is whether video games or violent media could contribute towards that attitude, or reinforce it in some way. As in, "Yeah, blasting the demons of hell into gory bits is fun in DOOM, but if I had to do this in real life, I realize it would really suck,". So the exposure towards fictional violence would reduce the tendency to believe in the "glory" of actual battle.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:38:55 pm by RevolutionaryDorf »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »

...I don't see a significantly above-average proportion of video-game-playing peace activists, so...

This is a good point, and I should add the disclaimer that this is all casual discussion, based nowhere in scientific fact or held to any sort of research standard. And of course videogames wouldn't be the sole cause of someone "opposing" violence. Culture and environment have a much greater sway over that. The question is whether video games or violent media could contribute towards that attitude, or reinforce it in some way. As in, "Yeah, blasting the demons of hell into gory bits is fun in DOOM, but if I had to do this in real life, I realize it would really suck,". So the exposure towards fictional violence would reduce the tendency to believe in the "glory" of actual battle.

That's only if you actually sit down and think about it, though.  You could say that immersing yourself in violence and thinking about it is a great way to realize how nonsensical it is... video games are one way to safely immerse yourself in it; books and movies are also okay (if less visceral).  At the same time though, plenty of actual war veterans immersed themselves in violence and thought about it and came to the same conclusions, too.

There's plenty of other philosophical directions you can go when you really sit down and think; nonviolence is one of those directions.  And of course someone who just immerses themselves in violent art but doesn't engage in any introspection is not going to be psychologically improved by the experience...might even be bad for them.

So I guess for me, the message is "thinking deeply about things makes you a better person with regards to those things, and some video gamers are thoughtful people".  Maybe I'll even generalize it out to "some thoughtful people are video gamers", and "some thoughtless, impulsive people are video gamers too".  The former group might improve themselves through playing...but then, they'd probably improve themselves with anything they did anyway.  I like to believe that most humans are thoughtful people.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »

IRL, I hate even swatting flies (largely because of the mess it makes) and I hate, on games like SS13, killing people (I still do it) because it makes me feel terrible knowing I probably annoyed the guy.
^odd just how much killing somebody on SS13 tends to feel like you just did something bad isnt it? (oh and if you enjoy killing others when not an antagonist in the round, fuck off)

anyways for my 2 cents here.
I have spent a pretty damned large amount of time playing video games, I would however say that I am quite a bit less violent than many people who think video games cause violence.

now i honestly think anyone who says that kids can't tell the difference between real life and video games is pretty damned stupid, and has little to no conception about how intelligent younger poeple actually are. I remember that way of thinking pissed me off quite a bit when i was younger.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »

Yeah I don't see video games "inducing" pacifism. Might be good for taking out frustrations, though.

Your brain is pretty good at distinguishing fantasy from reality. Violent media won't really reduce your inhibitions against violence so long as it realizes you're in the Real World with Real Consequences.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:51 pm »

As far as I'm aware every study on catharsis has proved the idea to be total bunk. So I'd guess that playing video games when you're angry would only be more likely to fuel your anger than anything else. Not saying they'd make you go for a violent solution but they probably wouldn't help you calm down about the situation, merely distract you from it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »

the only time I killed a guy in SS13 without being antagonist was when I was looking at a guide for it, it gave me the steps to deconstruct a wall.

I did it, a sec member came along, noticed me creating that hole, and we both got sucked into space.
wow.... high five for not realizing it was an external wall.

also noticed something.

ages 1-12ish gamer composition: mostly assholes with no respect for others, very upset by loseing. small part cool people, which desire having fun above winning, usually respectful.
ages 12-18ish compostion: significantly less assholes, but still a large number. some of the cool, fun to play with people have stopped gaming, due to realization that the assholes form a majority.
ages 18+ composition: less assholes but still there. most cool players gone to lesser known and/or single player games.

the 'cool' gamers tend to enjoy games that are quite simply fun to play, don't mind losing as much, and probably enjoy single player games more/equally to multiplayer ones.
the 'asshole' gamers... you know who im talking about, the ones who fly into a fit of rage every time they lose, seem to have no empathy whatsoever and generally denote a large portion of time to trying to make others feel like shit.

most people here probably fall towards the 'cool' side. but you need to be a mix of the 2 to enjoy video games to the fullest. however being too far to the 'asshole' gamer side just makes you annoying to people like myself who play to have fun.

sound about right? based this off my observations about popular multiplayer games vs lesser known games, and what happens to forums as games become more popular.
(seriously, do NOT simply respond with some angry remark about my choice of wording or something, many people are somewhere in between the two, as long as you are not the exact description of an 'asshole' gamer your probably ok.)

I think that the issue causing the above is that some people who play video games become too engrossed in it, somewhat losing the distinction between reality and games, but not to the point the media seemingly wants us to believe. while others lose interest and fall away from gaming, probably due to games becoming more focused on winning, and less on fun.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:40:47 pm »

I'm not sure video games induced my pacifism, but it certainly didn't harm it. I've always been somewhat prone to violent thoughts (Occasionally, I will randomly think about punching people in the face. Repeatedly) but I keep those urges under control and don't really engage in violent affairs.

I am also not really keen on taking someone or something else's life. I wonder sometimes if I would be able to do it if I needed to.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »

I am also not really keen on taking someone or something else's life. I wonder sometimes if I would be able to do it if I needed to.
Unless you're Bruce Willis and someone's threatening your family, I doubt you'll ever be in that situation.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2 3