Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Murdering Human and Elven Caravans  (Read 4790 times)

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Murdering Human and Elven Caravans
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 04:21:24 am »

Speaking of which, I seem to have captured the elven Princess in with dodge trap. Here's hoping she survives, both of her legs are broken so she isn't going anywhere. How can I cage her and chain her somewhere? =<

Also yes, elves won't even send diplomats for the tree caps if you don't do the dfhack fix.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:23:38 am by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 06:39:00 am »

Clearly they do not, as attempting to sell genuine article elven kosher wooden breastplates back to them results in the "oh, I am so offended!" Reaction.  If the articles were marked in triplicate, they would recognize the maker's mark and not bug out.

Obviously they practice the double-standard method instead, or they suffer from a festering neural condition that causes them to forget that they just sold the items in question.

I prefer to think it is the latter, and that they re hopelessly scenile *and* immortal at the same time, and perform a mercy killing.
Isn't it likely to be more "Dear god, we are already SWIMMING in wooden breastplates, and now you want us to take more??  Screw you!  You can keep it now!".

This may also be why they never declare war for you sacking their traders - they only send out their least valued elves and a bunch of crap they're trying to get rid of and a few interesting animals to entice you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 08:41:04 am »

And the coincidence is that all we give them is our crap stone.

Ah, the circle of crap.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 09:22:21 am »

Speaking of which, I seem to have captured the elven Princess in with dodge trap. Here's hoping she survives, both of her legs are broken so she isn't going anywhere. How can I cage her and chain her somewhere? =<

Why bother chaining her up somewhere?

Carve out a single square room for her just off your dining room and then have her immured. She's immortal, so unless she ends up dying from her injuried she will be stuck, alive, in that dark underground tomb until the oceans boil and the world collapses in on itself.

That way your dwarves can enjoy her tormented screams with their fine dining, as she pitiably but futily beats her hands against her stone prison, or cries out for mercy that will never come. Delicious.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:08 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_animal_justice.html

threetoe got a remarkable accurate interpretation of the average DF player it seems

Just the ending isn't likely.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:49 am »

Offer them wood then seize the stuff you want you don't want them to leave their wooden breastplates and swords behind now would you?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 09:54:18 am »

I never bother seizing anything, I got enough to sell and the elves will never declare war on you unless you get a diplomat, and then it's much more efficient to repeatedly impale the diplomat.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 10:19:37 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_animal_justice.html

threetoe got a remarkable accurate interpretation of the average DF player it seems

Just the ending isn't likely.

Was great though. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 10:25:49 am »

I never bother seizing anything, I got enough to sell and the elves will never declare war on you unless you get a diplomat, and then it's much more efficient to repeatedly impale the diplomat.
The only issue is that if you want to sell them worthless junk you can't include the bin (unless you have metal bins but who uses those in bulk?) so its time consuming and I found that if you try to sell them clothes of dead goblins there's still occasionally some piece that makes the mad. It's much easier just to take what you want.

The only easy way ive found to deal with them is to offer them golden goods so I can buy their caravan in 8 pieces, but I just don't like the idea of giving them gold for crap.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 10:39:58 am »

I never sell bins, too much hassle to make new bins. I just use a macro to select the whole contents or one to select specific parts. I have to check if I'm not accidentally selling my spare quivers anyway.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:26 am »

I usually got 3 trade-depots, all connected to an aquifer. Go figure the rest. No need for seizing, selling or buying. There's a short and quick trade when they arrive, just for the skills, and then they will be drowned. It's quite effective as I drown almost anything 'hostile'. Sometimes my whole fortress, but that happens lesser and lesser recently.

The only ones I actually really trade with are the dwarfen ones.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:06 am »

Carve out a single square room for her just off your dining room and then have her immured. She's immortal, so unless she ends up dying from her injuried she will be stuck, alive, in that dark underground tomb until the oceans boil and the world collapses in on itself.

That way your dwarves can enjoy her tormented screams with their fine dining, as she pitiably but futily beats her hands against her stone prison, or cries out for mercy that will never come. Delicious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought your avatar looked like a chryssalid!  You are hereby declared awesome, good sir!

Also props for the brutal nature befit such a creature.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 02:13:01 am »

Hmm, I remember in 31.25 killing a human caravan, they sieged me with a single bowman squad next year. Never got sieged by elves though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:55 am »

Just captured an elf myself. Religious leader, at that. Now then, will the elf die of hunger and thirst, or does that need to be provided for? Also, I am going to +1 your idea and fill the 3x3 room with like 20 live kittens as well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]